Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lets talk huckleberries
saying goodbye to my huckleberry patches in north idaho was one of the more difficult things associated with my move to southern idaho. I haven't had a chance to get out yet but I will begin my search in the next couple weeks.

So my question is: What is the typical huckleberry situation in southeast idaho? When are they usually ready, how big is a good patch? (places i used to pick covered entire hillsides as far as I could see)

Are folks down here reasonable about only picking the ripe ones or do they take everything rather than bear the thought of someone else getting some? In other words how much competition is out there?
[signature]
I know of a couple really good spots where they.cover the.entire hill side. And they ripen well about the end of this month. And competition is fierce it will get crowded by utahns with ice.cream buckets. And song leave tell they have picked 20 gallons or more. So you have to hit it early. And the size of them is I would assume normal occasional marble size ones. And some years are better.then others. Some years you can pick a patch sit down in the middle of it and fill a 44 oz cup on the one patch. And eat a few while your at it. That way you have purple fingers and a purple butt [laugh]
[signature]
[quote idtroutfool]saying goodbye to my huckleberry patches in north idaho was one of the more difficult things associated with my move to southern idaho. I haven't had a chance to get out yet but I will begin my search in the next couple weeks.

So my question is: What is the typical huckleberry situation in southeast idaho? When are they usually ready, how big is a good patch? (places i used to pick covered entire hillsides as far as I could see)

Are folks down here reasonable about only picking the ripe ones or do they take everything rather than bear the thought of someone else getting some? In other words how much competition is out there?[/quote]

where did you go in N. Idaho? I'll be up there end of the month
[signature]
Berries have been on for two weeks at 6k feet. Pretty low numbers this year only about a tenth of the bushes have berries on them. The spots we pick cover the mtn side. They can get hammered pretty bad. Scorsbys market will take car loads of people up y pick and they will cover a hillside and leave it bare. I've picked about 3/4 of a gallon in the two times I've made it out. Wild rasberries are on also.
[signature]