Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware, weird phone call.
So I got this unusual phone call yesterday. I didn't recognize the number, so I let it go to voice mail.

The guy leaves me a voice mail, saying basically: "My name is Xxxxx, I live in Boise, I'm very proficient with a bow, but I've never killed a deer. I was wondering if you could help me kill a deer."

Immediately, I think to myself, several questions. Who is this? How does he know I live in the Boise area? And how did he get my phone number? How does he know I hunt? I've given my phone number to a few folks on here, but I would think that if someone from here called me, they'd say "this is Xxxxxxx, you gave me your number on BFT, etc.)

So, I want to help if I can, but I don't have any idea who this person is. Could be scam, someone who wants to hurt me, who knows.......... So I approach with caution.

I send a text message. "How'd you get my phone number?"

Reply - "Don't know, who is this?"

Before I can respond I get another message. "Did I leave a message?"

I send another text. "You left me a voice mail"

Reply - "About hunting?"

Before I can reply I get another one - "What'd it say?"

Now he's avoiding my original question, which makes me even more suspicious of a scam or misleading intent.

So I say "You left it. You tell me."

His response was - "Well if you are not in hunting I called the wrong number"

Now I'm suspecting it could be one of my nephews trying to play some kind of trick on me. So I send another message. "How'd you get this number. It's a simple question."

Resonse - "Internet"

Again a vague and nonspecific answer in an attempt to miss lead.

So I say "Must be Xxxxx or Xxxxx trying to prank me?"

He says "Sounds like you are an xxxhole. I won't call you again. Sorry."

So, caught in the act, he excuses himself from the conversation with an insult and moves on to the next target. I tried a few more times to find out if he would tell me how he got my number, but with no response.

Beware. I think there is someone out there trying to either scam or harm people.
[signature]
That is weird, I'd be very suspicious as well. When I get strange calls like that or repeat calls from the same number, I always do an internet search. Just type in the number in Google or some other search engine, it is surprising the info you can get just from a phone number. Then you can report it as being suspicious, because if others have received the same call, it is likely that it was reported.
[signature]
His phone number is tied to a FB page. Odd that he wouldn't be straight and up front with me about how he got my phone number.

https://www.facebook.com/TheEPOXYFLOOREx...e_internal
[signature]
Yea, very strange but I bet he just got the wrong phone number or he was off by one number. Who knows but if you are really concerned you could always report it. Since it goes to a company, if it hard to believe it was malicious because you could always post about the call on their Facebook page and I'm sure the guy would not want that.
[signature]