Fishing Forum
Jaw Jacker woes - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Jaw Jacker woes (/showthread.php?tid=1058558)

Pages: 1 2

Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-23-2018

I'm hoping for some advice on my Jacker problems.

I have fish take, jacker goes off, can see fish is on rod but by the time I pick the thing up fish is gone.

The only fish I have been able to catch with it are perch.
I have used it with the tension real loose or a good bit tighter but to no avail.

I see videos of the things working but I can not seem to get even one trout.
I keep going back to the thing thinking "I'll get it to work this time but no luck so far."

I like the idea of my inactive rod hooking instead of just scaring fish. BUT?
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - muirco - 12-23-2018

Sharper hooks... maybe. Also is your rod flexible enough to be in the most upright position while still being a medium action rod? I was having trouble and just got a jaw jacker brand rod, so I will see if that helps. [fishon]
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - filletedalive - 12-23-2018

Just a tip. Make absolutely sure your jig is sitting horizontal even after you tip it with bait.
The hook size matters as well. In the attached image the two top jigs have had multiple mis-hooks but the bottom two have hooked multiple fish on the jackers.
I use medium action rods on them. And always set them one setting lower than what feels like it’s maximum spring when triggered.
Hope this helps.
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - curt69 - 12-24-2018

I have had my best luck using jammin jigs like the ones that come with the jaw Jackers., and a half of meal worm . You don't want anything hanging off your hook like a tail . You want it so when they take it , the hook has to be in there mouth . Paddle Bugs and cutter bugs don't work well . Be cause you bite the tail and don't get enough of the hook . Also I use 30" Ugly Stix for my rods .
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - chillout - 12-24-2018

Don't assume that the fish was scared off. Drop it back down as fast as you can, more often than not the fish will bite it again and you can set the hook with the rod in your hand. It works fo me 90+ percent of the time. Sometimes it takes a little jigging. Also as mentioned the supplied jigs work well with a small amount of bait.
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - windriver - 12-24-2018

You have been given good advice from others.
Not every rod has the right amount of pressure to set the hook home. I use the jaw jacker brand rods for the most part. I like the medium one the best.
As others have said use the jammin jigs that come with the jawjacker. Thread 1/2 a mealworm on. The color doesn't seem to matter most of the time.
Set the jaw jacker trigger as light as possible. My set off to hookup ratio is over 75%.

Windriver
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - SkunkedAgain - 12-24-2018

I’m loving my jigging jaw jacker but this weekend on Friday it hooked almost every bite and Saturday it missed all of them, but I was using a cutrbug with the tail so maybe that’s my problem. Usually I do better than 50% success with it. I really like the jj’s For my second rod. Don’t give up they can be fun. Later J
[signature]

Re: [muirco] Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-24-2018

I do sharpen hooks and run it as far up as it will go. I have been using 30" rods. I would figure them to be medium to heavy action. I have wondered if the rods are to fast (stiff).
[signature]

Re: [curt69] Jaw Jacker woes - curt69 - 12-24-2018

[quote curt69] I have had my best luck using jammin jigs like the ones that come with the jaw Jackers., and a half of meal worm . You don't want anything hanging off your hook like a tail . You want it so when they take it , the hook has to be in there mouth . Paddle Bugs and cutter bugs don't work well . Because they bite the tail and don't get enough of the hook . Also I use 30" Ugly Stix for my rods .[/quote]
[signature]

Re: [filletedalive] Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-24-2018

I feel the horizontal presentation is critical so I ALWAYS set it so.
Your two lower hooks are larger. Maybe I need to go with a bit larger hook. I have been setting the thing for as hard a hook set as I can get due to the problems. Perhaps this is to much.
I went back to your photo and referenced the dime. I bet my jigs are to big.
[signature]

Re: [curt69] Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-24-2018

By the sounds of it I am really messing up. 1 1/2" jigs and my rods are a LOT faster than the ugly stick rods.
I'll bet my jigs have been to big.
I have tried both paddle bugs and cutter bugs with no success.
[signature]

Re: [windriver] Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-24-2018

Just 10% hook up would be great for me. Not that I would want it to stay there but so far anything is better than what I have gotten. I will run the thing for 5 or 6 trips and then give up on it. looks like I need to work on the advice given.
[signature]

Re: [SkunkedAgain] Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-24-2018

I really like the looks of the Jigging Jacker and when I get the regular to work I think I will get the jigging base. One hurtle at a time though.
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - MACMAN - 12-24-2018

Try a Clam tungsten drop or drop xl in a 3 or 5mm. It is specifically designed to increase hookup percent due to a 30 degree offset and the eye is turned. Along with the other suggestions given, I get about 50-60% hook rate. Which honestly isn’t horrible.
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - SkunkedAgain - 12-24-2018

For sure figure out one thing at a time, but trust me when I say you’ll like the jaw jacker as your number two rod. I don’t know how many times I ran from rod to rod chasing bites before the jacker and never getting a hook set. At least with the jacker an attempt to hook was made and like I say some days it does really well. Did I mention that a lot of my bigger fish were hooked by the JJ’s? Hate to admit it, but it’s true. Last years winning trout a 27” hybrid cutbow from Strawberry was on the jacker. Don’t give up on it, but if you do and you sell it let me know. Thanks J
[signature]

Re: [SkunkedAgain] Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-24-2018

I am dedicated to getting it to work if for no there reason than bull headedness. My spent good money and thought giving it to me.
By all the coments I'm sure its me not the machine.
[signature]

Re: [MACMAN] Jaw Jacker woes - PACMEN - 12-24-2018

The turned eye should keep the presentation horizontal. I think I will give them a try.
I'll bet by all these posts I'm fishing to large a bait.
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - RockyRaab - 12-24-2018

At the risk of raising ire, if I had a jacker that caught perch and rejected slimers, I'd treasure it beyond words.
[signature]

Re: [PACMEN] Jaw Jacker woes - MACMAN - 12-24-2018

The turned eye gives you better leverage when fighting the fish. The 30 degree offset gets the presentation just past horizontal, so the point of the hook is already aimed at the roof of their mouth. I don’t miss bites when used as my active rod, period. Google them. Be prepared- they cost what a rapala does.
[signature]

Re: [SkunkedAgain] Jaw Jacker woes - muirco - 12-24-2018

I bought a jigging jaw jacker but haven't used it yet. I am excited to use it though![fishon]
[signature]