Fishing Forum
Just had an awesome morning on the water - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Freshwater Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=400)
+--- Forum: Pike, Muskie and Walleye (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=165)
+--- Thread: Just had an awesome morning on the water (/showthread.php?tid=1077908)

Just had an awesome morning on the water - Oneida1 - 07-08-2019

I’v been doing well with the walleyes, but have had to work at it to get a limit lately. This morning the waves weren’t cooperating and I had to slow my troll down to .09 from the normal 1.3-1.4. I can’t be sure that’s solely responsible for the action, but I landed 23 walleye in a little over a half an hour! I had three doubles and had three on at once at one point, chaos... beautiful chaos! If they aren’t biting on your usual top presentations, try slowing or speeding up, it might be the trick you need.
[signature]

Re: [Oneida1] Just had an awesome morning on the water - wiperhunter2 - 07-08-2019

Great report and pic. So you were going slower than .10 mph, talk about crawling. What were you using at the speed? I can't imagine that harness blades would even turn at that speed.
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Just had an awesome morning on the water - Oneida1 - 07-08-2019

Harnesses with a small Colorado blade and a float (both chartreuse in color) and harnesses with just a slow death hook and one bead. The poles had a bit of action in them because of the waves so that might have helped as well.
[signature]

Re: [Oneida1] Just had an awesome morning on the water - wiperhunter2 - 07-09-2019

Are you using size 2 or smaller?
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Just had an awesome morning on the water - Oneida1 - 07-09-2019

#2’s are my go to. I have some #0’s tied up for when they get really finicky, and some bigger #4-#6’s for when they sometimes (rarely) like something bigger. I’m convinced all walleyes are female. Only a female would be as unrationally picky, cost this much to chase, and cause the feeling of adoration that wells up inside you when you land one and mistakenly think you have all of them figured out. I had a good morning today as well, we got a two man limit in about an hour and a half. Sadly I have to go back to work tomorrow [:/]. Just when you have the bite dialed in, life gets in the way.
[signature]

Re: [Oneida1] Just had an awesome morning on the water - wiperhunter2 - 07-09-2019

[quote Oneida1] I’m convinced all walleyes are female. Only a female would be as unrationally picky, cost this much to chase, and cause the feeling of adoration that wells up inside you when you land one and mistakenly think you have all of them figured out. [/quote]
LOL, I've never looked at it like that but it's sooo true.
I can't say I've ever tried blades smaller than size 2 but it sounds like it would be worth a try.
Good job on the limits, they look like some good fish, how long is that biggest one?
Do you normally catch them in water that deep? Looks like a good stack of eyes there in your pic.
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Just had an awesome morning on the water - Oneida1 - 07-10-2019

They were stacked up in there this morning, feeding on perch judging from what they were spitting up in the live well. Usually this time of year they like 38-42 feet in open water, or 12-20 in weed beds. We didn’t measure the biggest one, but it was 21-22.
[signature]

Re: [Oneida1] Just had an awesome morning on the water - wiperhunter2 - 07-10-2019

How about the perch, how long were they? They look pretty nice in the pic.
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Just had an awesome morning on the water - Oneida1 - 07-10-2019

Big enough to be fillet able, but not humpbacks... 8-10 inches??? I didn’t bother measuring them.
[signature]