Fishing Forum
Planted birds on WMU - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Idaho Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=353)
+--- Forum: Hunting (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=152)
+--- Thread: Planted birds on WMU (/showthread.php?tid=1099232)

Pages: 1 2

Planted birds on WMU - fast_randy - 10-19-2021

I always hunt the planted pheasant at Market Lake and Sterling. But this year out at Market Lake, my favorite place for opening day, my Beretta shot gun broke on the first shot. I and a hundred others seen the Fish and Game truck and watched where they planted them so before I could get back to my truck and fix my gun, the shooting was over. I'm guessing this year they released a tenth of the birds they normally do out there. Way more hunters than birds. What's up with that. 
Sunday I used my old Remington 1100 out out Stearling. I still love that old gun. My dog Dakota done me proud. 
[Image: 20211017-113654.jpg]

RE: Planted birds on WMU - wiperhunter2 - 10-19-2021

(10-19-2021, 02:21 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I always hunt the planted pheasant at Market Lake and Sterling. But this year out at Market Lake, my favorite place for opening day, my Beretta shot gun broke on the first shot. I and a hundred others seen the Fish and Game truck and watched where they planted them so before I could get back to my truck and fix my gun, the shooting was over. I'm guessing this year they released a tenth of the birds they normally do out there. Way more hunters than birds. What's up with that. 
Sunday I used my old Remington 1100 out out Stearling. I still love that old gun. My dog Dakota done me proud. 

Too bad about your gun breaking, were you able to fix it? What breed is your dog?

RE: Planted birds on WMU - fast_randy - 10-25-2021

(10-19-2021, 02:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 02:21 AM)fast_randy Wrote: I always hunt the planted pheasant at Market Lake and Sterling. But this year out at Market Lake, my favorite place for opening day, my Beretta shot gun broke on the first shot. I and a hundred others seen the Fish and Game truck and watched where they planted them so before I could get back to my truck and fix my gun, the shooting was over. I'm guessing this year they released a tenth of the birds they normally do out there. Way more hunters than birds. What's up with that. 

Too bad about your gun breaking, were you able to fix it? What breed is your dog?

My dog is a Weimeriner. She is awesome. Yesterday, at Market Lake, she got a rooster up on the edge of this big cannel. There was 6 feet of cattails that the Bird flew out off on the edge of the cannel, and Dakota didn't see the bird go down across the other side. But she knows the "dead bird" command. And I got her to swim across and find my rooster. Today it didn't take her long get me two birds at Stearling. 
[Image: 20211024-104917.jpg]

(10-25-2021, 01:05 AM)fast_randy Wrote:
(10-19-2021, 02:33 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

My dog is a Weimeriner. She is awesome. Yesterday, at Market Lake, she got a rooster up on the edge of this big cannel. There was 6 feet of cattails that the Bird flew out off on the edge of the cannel, and Dakota didn't see the bird go down across the other side. But she knows the "dead bird" command. And I got her to swim across and find my rooster. Today it didn't take her long get me two birds at Stearling. 
[Image: 20211024-104917.jpg]

I have parts ordered for my Barreta. But I love my Remington 1100, I got it in 1976. I'm 5 birds with 6 shots with it this year.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - fast_randy - 11-06-2021

I hit Sterling this morning. It took me 8 minutes. My dog is so awesome!

[Image: Randy-s-birds.jpg]

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 11-06-2021

Nice, that's a great day.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 11-13-2021

Finally was able to find few close to home.

[Image: KIMG0244.jpg]

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 11-27-2021

Got out this morning and had a great day

[Image: KIMG0261.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0260.jpg]

RE: Planted birds on WMU - wiperhunter2 - 11-27-2021

Way to go, looks like you two had a good morning.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 11-27-2021

Thanks Curt, it was great. Nice to see Colton get something after the dismal deer season we had. First ever birds he's got.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - wiperhunter2 - 11-28-2021

(11-27-2021, 11:29 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Thanks Curt, it was great. Nice to see Colton get something after the dismal deer season we had. First ever birds he's got.

Good for Colton, glad to hear he got his first ever birds.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - Kent - 11-28-2021

Does Idaho have many wild pheasants still around or are they almost all planted birds?

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 11-28-2021

There's some wild ones around, just not many this year, I've got permission on a whole valley out here and we've only seen a couple, so we adjusted and started looking at the wmus.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 12-05-2021

Dam, don't understand this state. Closed pheasant in the eastern part November 30th, was way overrun with hunters today from that part of the state on the small place we hunt, good recipe for a accident.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - fast_randy - 12-05-2021

Dang, I was hoping for a good report. I was going to offer to bring my dog over. I got 8 so far here, but quite hunting early this year, because I can't eat them right now. Teeth are gone. Get my new ones in two weeks. That and the Ice fishing at Henry's finely starting. You and Colton don't have a dog do you?. It is so awesome hunting over a good dog.There are some wild birds here near me and I too have lots of land I could hunt. That's why I retired here. But because of all the predators and hawks they are few. And right now I won't shoot them. I have them across my street and in my yard sometimes. I use them for training. One rooster seems like he comes over and teases Dakota. I'm learning that if pheasants aren't pressured much, they don't travel very far. And eventually go right back to thier favorite spot when jumped. You know there aren't many books ever written about pheasants.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 12-06-2021

Yea, we've got 5 so far, I've not hunted with a shotgun much, so my shooting isn't great, I saw lots of birds yesterday, just missed them. No we don't have a dog, but have had a few nice guys help us with theirs when they're done the last couple weeks, it was neat watching them work. Dam, if there's that many wild ones I don't understand why they shut down the season so early, I have most of the valley out here to hunt on but only seen a couple of birds, think the drought took a toll on them this year.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 12-11-2021

Was a cold and windy morning, but I braved the weather and got me another limit today, big thanks to a couple of gents from Pocatello for helping out again. Was a great morning.

[Image: KIMG0275.jpg]

RE: Planted birds on WMU - wiperhunter2 - 12-12-2021

(12-11-2021, 10:01 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Was a cold and windy morning, but I braved the weather and got me another limit today, big thanks to a couple of gents from Pocatello for helping out again. Was a great morning.

Good for you Lyle, so did the guys from Pocatello have dogs, is that how they helped you? Sounds like you have meet them out there before, was it a planned meeting?

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 12-12-2021

Yes they had dogs and offered to help me. No, nothing planned, just happened to run into them the last couple weeks. Really nice guys. Plus a few others that have opted up their help also, I've met some really nice people out there.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - wiperhunter2 - 12-12-2021

(12-12-2021, 07:27 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yes they had dogs and offered to help me. No, nothing planned, just happened to run into them the last couple weeks. Really nice guys. Plus a few others that have opted up their help also, I've met some really nice people out there.

Thats cool, it's always nice to run into great folks like that.

RE: Planted birds on WMU - meancuznalfy - 12-12-2021

Yes it is.