Fishing Forum
Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Georgia Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=351)
+--- Forum: Georgia Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) (/showthread.php?tid=120235)

Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - StriperAddict - 03-31-2004

[font "Arial"][size 3]Anyone who's into freshwater striper fishing please post here...[Wink] !!![/size][/font]

I've just started on them at Lake Lanier, GA and have had no bites since December, 2003! I've used blue back herring, trout & shiners and graphed schools of bait with the lowrance & no luck on at least 1/2 doz trips. Flat or Down lines, umbrella rigs,... makes no difference [crazy], my December takers came on artificial (special "spinner" bait) but no more takers there either.

HELP [shocked] ! All the guides say there tearin' them up !! [laugh]

Best 2 ya,

Glenn
[signature]

Re: [StriperAddict] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - tubeN2 - 04-01-2004

Hey there StriperAddict, Hi and welcome the the BFT message boards. Those look like a pair of nice ones. We get some good size ones here locally in SoCal. I'm trying to get into the over 50lb club but I need a boat to be able to get the big ones.

Just last week there was one caught close by, that was 58lb. That could be alot of fun. Out here they are mostly caugh on swimbaits that look like rainbow trout. They are also catching them on shad hooked on a downrigger.

What are you using for bait?? There may be some other GA fishermen out there on the Georgia board. If you would like I could move this post over there and see if we could get some more response. What do you think about it???

Once again Welcome and tight lines.
[signature]

Re: [StriperAddict] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - JapanRon - 04-01-2004

Hey there StriperAddict,

Welcome to the boards. No striper stories to share but look forward to following your adventures.

JapanRon
[signature]

Re: [tubeN2] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - StriperAddict - 04-01-2004

Thanks ! Hey no problem to post in GA board....[Wink]

I've used BlueBackHerring, shad and small trout for live bait, also bucktail jigs and a swirleybird spinner (see fishinglanier.com for description of swirleybird, fyi) Where in SoCal do you have freshwater lakes w striped bass?

Stripers w/o boat? They dock fish for 'em in GA, but not too successful. But yeah, I'd like to have a better fishing boat myself than the 16ft runabout I now use. My wife and I talked about a pontoon boat... usually good for trolling flat lines or umbrella rigs for stripers, not best for largemouthbass in shallow coves, etc. After landing a 12lb striper, I've lost intrest in LM-bass!! [Smile] best!

Glenn
[signature]

Re: [StriperAddict] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - poncho - 04-02-2004

Hi Glenn, just moved to Ga. i live in Sugar Hill and launch from Lanier Park boat ramp. Only been on the lake 5 or 6 times. Haven't went after stripers yet but have caught one on the lake while fishing for crappie and white bass. Been fishing up in bald ridge creek, sawnee creek and little ridge creek arms. Been fishing the docks and shallows way up creek, catching lots of fish but only one striper and it was only about 2 pounds. Been getting into spots and largemouth along with the whites and crappie. My understanding is that the shallow bite is going pretty good, main lake points and points in the creek arms. People are doing pretty good on 3in. shad bodies and 3in curly tails also buck tail jigs. My next trip out i plan on targeting stripers. If you see me on the lake stop by and chat. I'm in a 19 ft. red and white crestliner with Kansas #'s still on the side, haven't recieved my Ga. #'s yet. I realize with the size of this lake we may never run into each other. What part of the lake do you fish and launch from.
[signature]

Re: [poncho] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - tubeN2 - 04-02-2004

Hey Poncho, How ya doing buddy. I lost you after you left the Kansas area. I look forward to your awesome fishing reports and expert photography.

I guess they kind of miss you on the Utah board as well. Stop on by and say hi if you get time. Good luck on those stripers too. They are alot of fun when they get big.
[signature]

Re: [poncho] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - StriperAddict - 04-07-2004

Poncho...

I've fished Bald Ridge near Mary Alice Park on west side and Flat creek on the east. Weather & wind kept me away lately, hope spring pattern returns. I heard Stripers will attempt to spawn up in the river creeks so I'll go with these areas soon. You may see a 16ft Bayliner out on Friday the 16th up the north creek channels, don't be shocked from the way it's rigged [shocked]! That's me, trial n' error, mostly error [crazy] but enjoying the learning curve.

U say you hit a 2 lb'er? Wait till you land 10 lbs and higher. I remember fishing 4 blues in Long Island Sound (NY) in the 70's with my Dad and the Striper fight is every bit as exciting as those bluefish [cool] !!
[signature]

Re: [Rookie2Bass] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - StriperAddict - 04-21-2004

Best to you also....[Smile] Stripers are a tough fish to get because their pattern & location can change quick, but worth it even when you land just a 9 lb'er like I did in Dec. Heard Carter's is good for them too. My LM bass fishing has been a bust on Lanier, but spotted bass are getting frequent now, according to reports. Also the top water bite for a striper has turned on (so they say) , so if you have a zara spook it should be used now.

I'm missing fishing lately with work but when I'm back I'll post pics and where I'm hitting them or not. Kayak?? Sounds like a real stealth - way of getting to good striper fishing spots.... you could come up on a swirl of gulls/birds feeding w/o noise and go at it...[Wink]

gee, you've given me ideas.... BUT.... I wouldn't be caught in a kayak on open water on the weekends now, those big boats will show you no mercy...!! [shocked]
[signature]

Re: [StriperAddict] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - tubeN2 - 05-14-2004

Hey StriperAddict,

We have several lakes around with stripers in them in SoCal. One of the Best spots is Castaic Lake. They have been pulling them out from 7 to 20lbs on a regular basis and they even have a 50lbers club for the bigger ones.
[signature]

Re: [Rookie2Bass] Lanier 5/10/04 - StriperAddict - 05-17-2004

The Hammonds folks (Cumming, GA) are the best, even if you just call for info. They are usually my bait source also, but I may try to catch my own soon.

Latest report said that above Browns Bride (Lake Lanier, GA) was doing well, and to make several casts over a point. If n.g., go to next and do at least 10 casts there.

I still won't be fishing for a while yet, serious OT at job.... oh, well. You can't have everything (where would you put it?) [crazy]

Best,

Glenn

Re: [Guest] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - StriperAddict - 06-03-2004

Hi and welcome to the BigFishTackle board.

I agree mostly with what you said, with some exceptions. GA has some boards where the folks really try and get up to date info out there, some are from fishing guides themselves. This board is great for tips, you'd have to stay on top of it frequently to get latest local fishing info. I have promised to post Striper Info here (from Lake Lanier GA) but it's been a while since I've been out for them. But if I have news, I will post ASAP.

My suggestion is to contact a guide directly by email and ask for the latest news. If you don't get a response, they are too busy or don't want to offer the info. But some will, depending on your location.

What state are you from? If you're here in north GA (near Lake Lanier?) I have some good contacts & boards I use... also, you may want to register here (check the registration link above on TubeN2's post) cause the folks that use the BFT board here have no agendas to sell stuff, etc., and fishing tips have been good.

I noticed you posted about bass fishing.... I've had similar experiences with LM bass, and with all the bad luck, I've now gone to Striped Bass fishing (most of the time) on Lake Lanier. Harder challenge but more predictable patterns, and that fight... wow! Hence my name "StriperAddict" !!

Best,

Glenn
[signature]

Re: [Guest] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - tubeN2 - 06-04-2004

Hey there Guest, I fished alot in the Sacrament River and most of the Delta area. There are some good stripers to be had there. There are a number of them here in SoCal but not like Sacramento and over there in GA.

Please take the time to register. It's fast and free. Here is a link for you to click on that can make it even faster for you.

Just click the link at the bottom of this post that says" New User Registration" This is a small world but loaded with good anglers.
[signature]

Re: [Rookie2Bass] Lanier 5/10/04 - StriperAddict - 06-29-2004

Hey R2B and all North GA anglers: In spite of the weather lately, the Striper fishing on Lanier has picked up as per several sources. The summer pattern is almost here for daytime fishing deep with umbrella rig, and the key depth lately has been about 28 feet. But mornings and night fishing is exceptional with the top water bite good through first light. If you can use the U-rig, try it... you'll cover a lot of water in the daytime. But when you are seeing fish on your finder, go after them with live Blueback Herring on down lines. Use 1.5 oz weight to get it just above the depth the fish are at. Again, the key depth lately has been around 28 feet.

I'll have my own report this weekend, and hopefully a picture or two!

Best, ~Glenn
[signature]

Re: [StriperAddict] Lanier 5/10/04 - davetclown - 06-30-2004

dont forget to add a copy to the wall of fame.[Wink]
[signature]

Re: [davetclown] Lanier 5/10/04 - StriperAddict - 07-06-2004

Wish I could for past weekend, in spite of good reports on Lanier, here's my report:

Mon July 5th we got on the water at 6:45 just to beat the jet skiers. Went out of Bald Ridge/Mary Alice park and fished all the way to the Dam. Had herring down 20 feet in early morning when the fish were graphing up. Stopped to catch a bream or two for mid morning deeper fishing if necc. Later we trolled Umbrella rig around points to the Dam. Without bites we then put our bait & herring deep also for remainder of day.

Nothing. Nada, zip, kaput, nothing!

I'm ready to take up duck hunting [crazy]

Re: [StriperAddict] Lanier 5/10/04 - davetclown - 07-09-2004

Ya man do I know what you mean about them jet boats!!![pirate]

got one on my lake the chases me around when I get on the lake. I do my best to try to get on the lake when I think he wont be home... he has to go to work some time to buy gass for that thing [Wink]

have you had any luck using them bait fish for larger species?
[signature]

Re: [davetclown] Lanier 5/10/04 - StriperAddict - 07-09-2004

Yes, in S. Carolina Lake Marion; you can use blueback herring as cut bait for really big catfish (Bluecats). Drift fishing is the best method there, I may try the same for flathead cats on Lake Lanier in GA sometime[Smile]
~Glenn

Re: [gsxraddict] Lanier 5/10/04 - StriperAddict - 08-09-2006

Hey gs,

Haven't been on 'the pond' in a while, and miss it, too. The boat is out of commission so I mostly fish my home community lake by the bank.

Heard good striper reports from Lanier, though. They say it's partly from the water level being so low.

Good fishing to ya !!

[Smile]

Re: [StriperAddict] Freshwater Striper fishing (GA) - jimhouston - 05-30-2009

i have been up on lake allatoona their tearin it up on its rivers
[signature]

Re: [Stinky] Stinky - 2Types - 06-16-2009

I caught one 26" striper and a few 37-40" catfishes in Lake Lanier last week.

I used 14 lbs Bass Pro Shops® XPS® Signature Series Fluorocarbon Fishing Line, size 2 sinker (carolina rig) on an old 7 ft med. ugly stick.

what do you all use in Lake Lanier? Similar to mine?
[signature]