Fishing Forum
Muskies in Fish Lake - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Muskies in Fish Lake (/showthread.php?tid=262246)

Pages: 1 2

Muskies in Fish Lake - proline - 05-17-2006

Someone metioned to me that a few tigers have been spotted or caught in Fish Lake. Is that true? I know they have tried to stck muskies in a lake above fish lake but I am not sure.
[signature]

Re: [proline] Muskies in Fish Lake - fishnpro40 - 05-17-2006

I believe there was one caught last summer. It came down from another res. above it. But there are no real numbers in Fish lake.
[signature]

Re: [fishnpro40] Muskies in Fish Lake - Fishdog78 - 05-17-2006

What resevoir above fish lake did the muskies come from?
[signature]

Re: [proline] Muskies in Fish Lake - gshorthair - 05-17-2006

Several years ago I was fishing at fish lake when they were gill netting around the lake. They caught a 22" tiger muskie in one of the nets. I think that was the first time one was documented in fish lake. The tiger muskies have been planted in johnson resevoir. This fish had to move upstream in order to get in fish lake. I don't know if anymore have been found but I would think they would be very rare. gshorthair
[signature]

Re: [Fishdog78] Muskies in Fish Lake - bassassinator - 05-17-2006

johnsons but i dont think there are too many or any real big ones. at one point a few years ago they wanted you to let the dwr know if you caught one up there so they could get some idea of how many were actually being taken. dont know if thats changed....
[signature]

Re: [fishnpro40] Muskies in Fish Lake - PBH - 05-17-2006

[reply]
It came down from another res. above it.[/reply]

[reply]
I know they have tried to stck muskies in a lake above fish lake but I am not sure.

Well, you learn something new everyday! That's why I love these forums. People just love to talk...

There are NO lakes, or reservoirs, above Fish Lake, from where a musky could have moved. In fact, there are no reservoirs or lakes above Fishlake that actually drain into Fishlake. There is a reservoir below Fish Lake (Johnson Reservoir) that is stocked with Tiger Musky. There is a chance that 1 or 2 could make it up the creek, and into Fishlake. Chances of actually catching one in Fishlake would be very, very, very, unlikely -- but still a chance.

If you are going to target Tiger Musky, you would be much better off fishing Johnson Reservoir -- downstream from Fishlake . They have been stocked in Johnson for a number of years, and with the available forage in Johnson, there could be some absolutley HUGE Tigers in there. However, no one fishes Johnson, and as of yet, no one has reported catching any tiger musky from there. One of these days, someone is going to give it an honest try, and be pleasantly surprised...
[signature]

Re: [PBH] Muskies in Fish Lake - Fishdog78 - 05-17-2006

Okay, so there are Muskies in Johnson and Pineview, what other Utah waters hold the Muskie??
[signature]

Re: [PBH] Muskies in Fish Lake - fuzzyfisher - 05-17-2006

no they wont be very surprised with what they find at johnson res... there is some monster suckers and chub.. and alot of tiney little perch.. maybe if you got more than 3 or 4 days to spend trying to find the one musky they did plant in there you'll be lucky..
[signature]

Re: [Fishdog78] Muskies in Fish Lake - PBH - 05-17-2006

Newton, in cache valley, also has Tiger Musky.

There are a few Pike places in Utah as well. In fact, Yuba is loaded with nice Pike right now. Not huge, but nice.

Redmond also has Pike, as well as Lake Powell.
[signature]

Re: [fuzzyfisher] Muskies in Fish Lake - wormandbobber - 05-17-2006

Actually, thousands of musky have been planted in Johnson...my bet is that many of them leave the reservoir when it is drawn down. I do know that the DWR have electrofished the reservoir several times looking for them and have found some tiger musky. Personally, I have tried catching tiger musky in Johnson several times...my only success was a 20+ inch rainbow. I think that the DWR has given up on Johnson as a musky fishery...in fact, I am not sure what kind of sport fishery it is capable of being with the constant flow of trash that comes from Fish Lake. About every year Johnson has massive fish kills and the banks are littered with dead suckers, chubs, and perch...yet, it is still chuck full of all of them.
[signature]

Re: [wormandbobber] Muskies in Fish Lake - proline - 05-17-2006

Thanks for the posts. I was just curious if they were in there. Pineview is still the place to go.
[signature]

Re: [PBH] Muskies in Fish Lake - ocean - 05-17-2006

There were biologists netting in yuba a month ago and they netted some nice sized pike in there. They didnt mention that on the doug miller show last saturday.There are pike in numbers and size in there right now.I was told average size is between 18-23 inches .The ones i caught last year were between 12-20 inches .Hopefully they wont take over the res like they usually tend to do.But it would be nice to get another huge pike out of there like pikemans.
[signature]

Re: [ocean] Muskies in Fish Lake - PBH - 05-17-2006

[url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=1514"]http://wildlife.utah.gov/forums/album_page.php?pic_id=1514[/url]
[signature]

Re: [PBH] Muskies in Fish Lake - ocean - 05-17-2006

Nice pic! There are gonna be some huge pike in there in the next few years.Especially if they are gobbling down all the baby carp .
[signature]

Re: [ocean] Muskies in Fish Lake - Fishdog78 - 05-18-2006

So do people normally eat Pike and Muskies or do folks usually catch & release or mount em???
[signature]

Re: [Fishdog78] Muskies in Fish Lake - Gumbo - 05-18-2006

Pike are good eating fish. Just work around the Y bones.

Here's Glenn's trophy Yuba pike

[Image: pike.jpg]
[signature]

Re: [Gumbo] Muskies in Fish Lake - Fishdog78 - 05-18-2006

Thats what im talking about, a nice big fish. I would be happy catching one like that in my life and putting it up on my wall. So Muskie are the catch and release fish or trophy fish huh?
[signature]

Re: [Fishdog78] Muskies in Fish Lake - ocean - 05-18-2006

Pike are gonna do good at yuba especially with al the carplings and perch in there.I expect in a few years theres gonna be some nice fat pike come out of yuba if the water doesnt get drained.[Wink] Man just imagine pulling 30 inchers out of there on a regular basis thats if they dont eat everyting in site first.Hopefully they can put a hurt on the carp so they wont get as thick as they used to be.
[signature]

Re: [ocean] Muskies in Fish Lake - Fishdog78 - 05-19-2006

I can imagine catching a 30 incher, that would be a great thing indeed. I will make it out to Yuba sometime this summer, do they let you camp right at the lake?
[signature]

Re: [ocean] Muskies in Fish Lake - PBH - 05-19-2006

It's going to be interesting -- I wonder how upset the Walleye fishermen are going to be when the Walleye never show up in significant numbers. The pike already have a good strong-hold on Yuba. One thing about pike -- they'll eat anything, including walleye.

sorry to all the walleye fishermen expecting Yuba to be a walleye fishery again in the future...I think it's going to be a pike fishery!
[signature]