Fishing Forum
Whats your go to bait for spring? - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Freshwater Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=400)
+--- Forum: Bass Fishing (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+--- Thread: Whats your go to bait for spring? (/showthread.php?tid=331508)

Pages: 1 2

Whats your go to bait for spring? - gdn443 - 05-01-2007

This time of year it's crankbaits, jerkbaits like flukes and a beaver thrown in. Crawdads have their place as well. Whats hot in your neighborhood.
[signature]

Re: [gdn443] Whats your go to bait for spring? - tubeN2 - 05-02-2007

I like to use the 7" Senkos as well as the 10 and 12 inch Sluggos.

Early morning is better here with the lightning purple Buzz Bait.
[signature]

Re: [tubeN2] Whats your go to bait for spring? - fsh4fun05 - 05-02-2007

I mostly target the smallmouth in the spring but have my spots where the largemouth are. I like to dropshot a 3" senko and perch pattern jerkbaits. Can't go wrong with a 5" green pumpkin senko, that's my fallback bait.
Hey TubeN2, what are the water temps in Cali this time of year? (in general) Are the lmb's up on beds? If I remember right you're in central California, correct me if I'm wrong.
[signature]

Re: [gdn443] Whats your go to bait for spring? - mattscru - 05-02-2007

My bread and butter is a rainbow trout color bass assassin, but I usually have to settle for a babybass or watermelon seed zoom fluke, texas rigged green pumpkinseed zoom craws and junebug zoom lizards round out my top spring lures. Now I used to have alot of luck on red rattle traps early spring but I haven't had them produce much in a few years? I like throwing them post spawn now, and differant colors all summer. I'll mix in a plain old texas rigged curly tail worm in their and spinnerbaits late spring as well.

Matt
[signature]

Re: [fsh4fun05] Whats your go to bait for spring? - tubeN2 - 05-02-2007

We are in the upper 50s to mid 60s. It is still prespawn but there are still some grumpy girls out there.

I am in SoCal. I head to Central area on Labor Day weekend and Memorial Day weekend. Coming soon.

Nice pot of LMBs, SMBs, Perch, Sunfish and Gills with some bonus plus sized Catfish.[cool]
[signature]

Re: [gdn443] Whats your go to bait for spring? - TooPureToDie - 05-02-2007

when i target largemouth, in the spring my baits consist of a flippin tube, 7inch ribbontail worm, and a black and blue jig tipped with a trailer. most of the time i have to fish them really really slow depending on how fast the water is warming up.
[signature]

Re: [TooPureToDie] Whats your go to bait for spring? - straight6pwr - 05-03-2007

in the spring time i kill them on a 1/4 spinner. white for cloudy water, natural for clear water. second to that is 5" senkos (flipped, wacky, texas) last week when i threw one out wacky style was the first time ive ever seen a group of bass (4) all swarm a lure like a bunch of bluegills.
[signature]

Re: [straight6pwr] Whats your go to bait for spring? - mattscru - 05-04-2007

Im going to have to give the old wacky rig a try. To many people I know swear by it. I head a story about 10 years ago when I lived in texas that a group of guy from new jersey went on a bass fishing trip to Lake Fork. They went to a bait shop and asked what to fish with, got the lures and rented a boat. Not knowing how to properly rig a worm they hooked them through the middle and came back in with several large bass and thats how the wacky rig came about. I dont know if its true or not but that would be a funny way to develop a productive fishing technic if it is true. By the way how do you fish your wacky rig? Texas, carolina or freeline it? I'd think free line and a carolina rig would probably work the best?
[signature]

Re: [mattscru] Whats your go to bait for spring? - straight6pwr - 05-04-2007

i was honestly amazed. i had hooked into a bass but my line had tangled. so as i untangled i looked up and 3 other similar size bass were around the other trying to get a piece of the senko hanging out of his mouth.

anyways, it depends on how you want it to sink, distance of cast etc. if casting distance isnt an issue for me (in a boat vs on shore) just take a texas rig and hook through the middle of the worm and fish it that way. add the bell sinker if you have to get a bit deeper. when i'm on shore, ill just use a large black jig head and hook it in a similar manner. ill cast it out, wiggle it as it sinks, hold up my rod, reel it in a bit to bring it back up and then let it sink again.

i've only just started to use soft plastics, but this method has worked for me so far. wacky is best around objects like docks and ill throw it at very specific spots where ive hooked into big fish before.
[signature]

I think I might try it on a split shot rig on sinclair because i know I can pull all the bass I want out from those docks. Do you use a offset shank worm hook are a strait shank hook? I just see a big 4/0 or 5/0 offset shank hook exposed that way catching alot of snags around here.
[signature]

Re: [mattscru] Whats your go to bait for spring? - straight6pwr - 05-04-2007

i just use an round offset hook so that i can switch between wacky and texas easily. you could definately use a straight hook though.

by nature the wacky rig is not very weedless, regardless of the hook, but you can guard the hook if you want. just take a smaller, less visable or similar colored plastic worm and rig it texas style after you rig the wacky one. then just cut the worm down to just after where you sunk the hook back into it. this would be a good reason to hold on to torn up plastics.
[signature]

Not a bad tip. I havent seen them in awhile but they used to sell worm hooks with a light metel "brush guard" attached. I might check out bass pro shop. Problem is I spend to much money every time I step in that place [Wink]
[signature]

Re: [mattscru] Whats your go to bait for spring? - tubeN2 - 05-04-2007

Since I fish more lakes than fast flowing water, I use my whacky rig without any additional weight. I don't need to add weight to begin with since the 7" Yamasenkos are thick and heavy.[cool]
[signature]

Re: [gdn443] Whats your go to bait for spring? - birddogwi - 05-04-2007

A dark jig and skirt rigged with a Yum or Zoom chunk.. a wacky rigged Yum Dinger ranks as a go-to also.
[signature]

Re: [tubeN2] Whats your go to bait for spring? - gdn443 - 05-04-2007

You folks have given me a whole lot of ideas to use. I also have great luck last year with the bigger senco type worms from Maniac. Sat. I'm taking pop Nelson bassin and we'll see what the old boy can pull out. Now where's that 65 degree water???
[signature]

Re: [gdn443] Whats your go to bait for spring? - tubeN2 - 05-05-2007

I'm sporting the 10" Roboworms this weekend. I need to see if Maniac can make me some in that size.

The 7inch Yamasenkos are doing well in watermelon and salt/pepper.[cool]
[signature]

Re: [tubeN2] Whats your go to bait for spring? - straight6pwr - 05-05-2007

o man 10"? that have to be one starved bass.
[signature]

Re: [straight6pwr] Whats your go to bait for spring? - fsh4fun05 - 05-05-2007

I was fishing with 12" zipper worms in Lake Fork, Texas in March. Great pre-spawn fishing I thought "no way, dude" but sure enough-it produced bass. It wasn't always the big ones either, the smallest bass I caught on that trip was on a that same 12" worm. I usually like to be more finesse about it but that's another topic.
[signature]

Re: [straight6pwr] Whats your go to bait for spring? - tubeN2 - 05-05-2007

They are not so much starved as they are just big and looking for a bigger meal than what a 3" Senko can supply.

One of the LMBs favorite foods are snakes. The 10" worms just look like baby snakes to them.

It is also important to understand the size of the Bass that come out of this lake. My record is 18lbs 6oz. Next in line are 18lb 2oz, 17lb 11oz, 17lb 8oz, 17lb 6oz all the way down to 7 1/2lbs.

There are some big girls in there. They mostly eat the planted Trout that are 9 to 10" as well as the Blue Gills which I have caught up to 2 1/4 lbs and was close to 14inches long. There are many hand sized Gills which the bass prefer.

I guess I got to get you and some of the other bass anglers out here some time. You will have a blast with just 6 and 8lb test line.[cool]
[signature]

Re: [tubeN2] Whats your go to bait for spring? - mattscru - 05-05-2007

Im on my way tube, once someone pays for my airfair to LAX [Wink]
[signature]