Fishing Forum
Flaming Gorge guide advice - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Flaming Gorge guide advice (/showthread.php?tid=489091)

Pages: 1 2

Flaming Gorge guide advice - One_eyed_jack - 04-02-2009

I have a buddy getting married in June. He wants his bachelor party to involve a guided trip at the gorge. Anyone have any advice?

I do not want this to be a pissing match about who is better and what not. Please post just your experiences with services and if you would recommend them or not.

I already looked at Jim's calender and he is booked.
[signature]

Re: [One_eyed_jack] Flaming Gorge guide advice - fairwayphilly - 04-02-2009

Anybody but the fish killer.
[signature]

Re: [One_eyed_jack] Flaming Gorge guide advice - wackmaster - 04-02-2009

If it's bass fishing you're looking for, I could show you a good time for a reasonable fee. I'm not a guide, but a tournament BASS angler with several years on the Gorge. 30-50 fish days are common.
[signature]

Re: [One_eyed_jack] Flaming Gorge guide advice - Troll - 04-02-2009

If you checked with Jim and he is booked, you need to reschedule the bachelor party for when Jim is available. If it happens to be after the wedding, then new little wifey will learn about hubby going fishing with his friend.
JMHO.
[signature]

Re: [Troll] Flaming Gorge guide advice - bigfish6 - 04-02-2009

i agree with troll, id wait for an opening. you can allways call jim and ask to be put on his cancellation list. if something opens up in your time frame he will call you.
[signature]

Re: [One_eyed_jack] Flaming Gorge guide advice - addicted2fishin - 04-02-2009

There is also a guy that posts on KSL a lot. I think he is about $400 / half day or $800 / full day total for up to 4 people. Can't find his ad right now. I'm really interested in doing something similar for 1/2 day just so I can see how they fish the lake. I have a boat and just got downriggers, but want to learn from someone that knows rather than spending days in trial and error.
[signature]

Re: [addicted2fishin] Flaming Gorge guide advice - RILEYFISH - 04-03-2009

The Guy on KSL is Steve the fish Killer.
[signature]

Re: [RILEYFISH] Flaming Gorge guide advice - bigfishwanted - 04-03-2009

He does kill them then he parades around the parking lot holding them.Look at me I'm a big fish killer.Do you want to kill some 30 year old fish with me........Why in the world would someone want to kill a 10-40 year old fish?Or rob someone else the enjoyment of catching that fish?..........Look at me big fish killer..............Let them go..

Rapalas catch big fish so you can let them go>>>>>>>>>>>>>still swimming>>>>>>>>>>>>>free
[signature]

Re: [bigfishwanted] Flaming Gorge guide advice - RILEYFISH - 04-03-2009

+1
[signature]

Re: [RILEYFISH] Flaming Gorge guide advice - Berg - 04-03-2009

If want to learn downrigger fishing, I would go with Steve. He guarantees a fish over 32 inches, I understand. And dont feel too bad about knocking one on the head. There are thousands and thousands of those 15-20 pound lake trout in the Gorge.
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Flaming Gorge guide advice - pgenho - 04-03-2009

How about Kyle Edwards, Conquest Expedition, He trolls and encourages catch and release.
[signature]

Re: [Berg] Flaming Gorge guide advice - Tarponjim - 04-03-2009

[quote Berg] There are thousands and thousands of those 15-20 pound lake trout in the Gorge.[/quote]

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Hard evidence please? Statistics? Proof?

I'm out there most of the year, I see the same fish over and over, I see EVERY FISH in that size range has previous hook marks, on a daily basis, from April-December. EVERY ONE OF THEM, no exceptions.

Just how many are there?

Capt. Jim

Re: [One_eyed_jack] Flaming Gorge guide advice - addicted2fishin - 04-03-2009

So where can we find contacts, schedules, and rates for some of these other guides up there?
[signature]

Re: [addicted2fishin] Flaming Gorge guide advice - Kent - 04-03-2009

Try Googling "Flaming Gorge Fishing Guides".
[signature]

Re: [pgenho] Flaming Gorge guide advice - orvis1 - 04-03-2009

[quote pgenho]How about Kyle Edwards, Conquest Expedition, He trolls and encourages catch and release.[/quote]

Kyle is good people and his wife makes incredible bread to have when you are on board. I would recomend him over triangle G I have been out on bolth boats.
[signature]

Re: [One_eyed_jack] Flaming Gorge guide advice - Tracker_Guy - 04-03-2009

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, for Captain Jim! Enough Said.
[signature]

Re: [Tracker_Guy] Flaming Gorge guide advice - JHT - 04-03-2009

How many are there in your party? Some guides will only take out three at a time. Kyle's boat can take six. I have fished with Kyle for both Macs and Kokes. He is really good with the Kokes. If you have a group larger than three guys, the decision may be made for you.
[signature]

Re: [JHT] Flaming Gorge guide advice - sockeyeslayer - 04-03-2009

I fish the lake between 70-85 days a year and as many others have said....it depends on what you are looking for......If you are looking for a relaxing day on the troll with Lakers and kokes mixed in KYLE is your guy.....if you want to learn how to jig them and catch trophy fish then there is only 1 answer JIM is your guy,no doubt about it, take it from me I know.
You will have a great time with either of these two guides they are both at the top of their game when it comes to their styles.
Good luck in your decsion it is a win win!!
SockeyeSlayer
[signature]

Re: [bigfishwanted] Flaming Gorge guide advice - GUIDEMAN - 04-03-2009

You know it's Sad when people lie just to make a point! My name is Steven Davis and I’m a guide at Flaming Gorge. It is not easy becoming a guide there because you can't start guiding just because you can catch a lot of fish! Federal law requires all persons that take people in motorized boats for money to have a US Coast Guard Captains license and then on Flaming Gorge you must have a Forest service Permit. The problem is the Forest Service only gave out 6 of these permits, so no person can guide on the lake without one. Each permit can have up to three Guides under it. So when I wanted to start guiding I had to make a deal with one of the permit holders. One of the things that I agreed to was to let my customers decide if they would keep legally caught fish or not. Yes, it is true that on my boat I let my clients decide weather or not to keep their legal fish. It is a lie that I make people keep their fish so they can show them off in the parking lot! It is also a big lie to say that I have paraded fish around the parking lot. I know a lot of you hardcore Mac guys will be screaming bloody murder when I take some 85 year old Grandfather and his 8 year old grandson and they catch the biggest fish of their life and want to keep the fish. You can post your hate speech and lies about me, but every time you do I get 20 more booked trips.

THANKS Capt. Steven Davis
[signature]

Re: [GUIDEMAN] Flaming Gorge guide advice - petty4life - 04-03-2009

[quote GUIDEMAN]
THANKS Capt. Steven Davis

you can do whatever makes you sleep at night Mr. Davis but the moderators better remover the website link. they mad Jim remove his and they better be fair and make davis remove his.
[signature]