Fishing Forum
Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney (/showthread.php?tid=489836)

Pages: 1 2

Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - lunkerhunter2 - 04-04-2009

I am passing the torch as "director" of the tournament due to circumstances i cannot control. I have other pending priorities that need to be addressed immediately and over the next 2 months will get my total attention. I will still help where i can but i will not be able to do much else from this point on.
I am asking for a person or persons to take the lead and see this through whatever the outcome. I am having issues with permits at the moment that may effect the outcome of people allowed and prizes given.
If anyone wants to step up send me a PM and i will help you get the ball rolling. There is not much left to do except the permits and some planning(food, prizes, etc).
Maybe next year things will be different all the way around.[frown]
[signature]

Re: [lunkerhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - bassrods - 04-05-2009

Whats the thing about the permit????
[signature]

Re: [bassrods] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - wiperhunter2 - 04-05-2009

Hey Cliff, as many tournaments as you have been in surely you know what permits are needed[Wink]. There is a big difference though between a catch and release contest and a catch and kill contest[:/].
[signature]

Re: [lunkerhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - MGB - 04-05-2009

RDRRM8E is the man you are looking for. He's an expert at putting these contests together.
[signature]

Re: [MGB] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - crankem - 04-05-2009

Considering the last two BFT tournaments and the amount of fish that were caught and killed I would not be suprised if the F&G refuses to issue a permit.
Especially after the bad water years, doubtfull spawn and stress the remaing fish have had on them.
Admittably there are alot of fish caught and taken home on a daily basis by recreational fisherman.
It's just not as visable as haveing a large tournament with folks caring around stringes, baskets and nets full of dead walleyes., wipers and catfish.
I thjink the days of kill tournaments are fast becoming a thing of the past due to the limited resources.
Just my thoughts.
[signature]

Re: [crankem] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - fishinfool - 04-05-2009

You could set a length minimum to 20Inches? I am pretty sure all the fish last year and in the past have been over 20 inches. that have been in the money.I know I have let all the smaller fish go in the past just because I knew they wouldn't place.
Just my 2cents.
If there was a way to do a catch and release contest it would benifit the the fishery for sure,quite a few big fish meet there maker on that day.But all of use are well within are legal limit.
I wish I could help you out Brody but I am way to busy to taken on the task at hand.
[signature]

Re: [fishinfool] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - Troll - 04-05-2009

If there are more than 50 people total or it is any kind of keep and weigh/measure contest it is a type 1. (also cannot have prizes worth more than $2,000) The state regulates these pretty closely.

If it is restricted to 50 people and there is less than 2K in prizes and is C&R, they issue the permit more freely.

This was contest was likely to have over 50 people, over 2K in prizes and be a keep and measure contest, all three criteria would be scrutinized before permits would be issued.
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - bassrods - 04-06-2009

Well when the bass people was trying to make it easy to hold tournaments a lot of people on this site didn't like what we were trying to do...But now you can see our side of trying to put one on, and the cost of them...

The DWR and Parks want there blood money and its no joke now...

No one wanted to hear what we were trying to say would happen till it happens to them...

Now for the most part I just fun fish...
I was not going to fish it in June any way to many water skiers...
[signature]

Re: [fishinfool] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - bassrods - 04-06-2009

The BFT Wiper tournament I was in I saw many Wipers that was killed just to take home to eat and yes they was part of the person limit but that is not what you hold a tournament for...

All the wipers in my boat was let go, live release tournaments are the only way to go and can be easy to do and more fun for all...

All bass tournaments are C&R that way the fish (bass) are put back in the water for all to catch again...

If more people would look back at what has happen to some lakes here in Utah you can under stand why some of us keep telling others to release the bass and other big spawners...Look at Deer creek, Jordanelle, Yuba, and East canyon ( to name just a few) all of those lakes have been great to fish some for perch others for walleyes and others for bass..
But have got in trouble at times from lack of one type of fish or another, and some are still that way...The DWR lets them get and stay that way, they don't replant them for years if at all with walleye, bass, or perch, but trout they plant all the time....

C&R yes I and others will keep on trying to get others to release the bigger fish like bass and walleye and Pike so the people that like to fish for them can have fun doing so....
East canyon had some great small mouth bass at one time some up to 5lb but the last two years a 12 to 15" bass is big..

Tournaments can't be for killing fish, to keep our fishing great...
[signature]

Re: [bassrods] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - wiperhunter2 - 04-06-2009

You are right Cliff but the problem with the BFT tournaments is a lot of the contestants don't have live wells to keep the fish. They are forced to put the fish on stringers and drag them around all day, as you can imagine that is hard on the fish and a lot of them will die. I have heard that some tournaments have judges on the water that go from boat to boat to check the fish that are caught, how do you guys do it?
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - fishinfool - 04-06-2009

WHO'S GOING TO TAKE OVER THE TOURNEY!!!!!!!!!

[fishin][fishin][fishin][fishin][fishin][fishin]

LOL!!!!!
[signature]

Re: [fishinfool] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - wiperhunter2 - 04-06-2009

So far no one has stepped up, if we don't hear from anyone by this weekend, it might be called off[:/].
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - Theekillerbee - 04-06-2009

No soup for us!
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - bassrods - 04-06-2009

There is a few ways you can work it...

1. Each boat captain will have one brand of scales (same brand and type) and you have two people per boat, the two in the boat fish against each other and they weigh each others fish... The scales will have the boat captains name on his/her scales and all scales are put in a box and passed out so no one uses there own scales...

2. you can have a tape on each boat and measure each others fish (and even take a picture or not)...

That is the best two ways the bass people do it if they can't bring the fish in to be weighed and released...
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - MRCRESTLINER - 04-06-2009

I'm sure someone will set up a smaller one for a select few.[Wink]
[signature]

Re: [bassrods] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - lunkerhunter2 - 04-07-2009

Since you know so much about tournaments and the way they should be run, why don't you do it Cliff??
[signature]

Re: [lunkerhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - fishinfool - 04-07-2009

LMAO!!!
Sorry[sly] That made me Laugh!!!!

Does sound like it woud work.What do you think Cliff?

Maybe someone will do a little one.Hope I'm Invited!!![Wink]
[signature]

Re: [lunkerhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - bassrods - 04-07-2009

Not me you started it ...You do it...I don't do kill tournaments....
[signature]

Re: [bassrods] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - lunkerhunter2 - 04-07-2009

Did i say that you needed to do a kill tournament? I said that you should use YOUR idea and do a C&R tournament.
Like i said in the first post on this thread, I CAN"T DO IT right now. Other priorities. Your retired right?[Wink]
[signature]

Re: [wiperhunter2] Passing the torch for the Willard Tourney - Vivid-Dawn - 04-07-2009

[quote wiperhunter2]So far no one has stepped up, if we don't hear from anyone by this weekend, it might be called off[:/].[/quote]

Does it really have to be a competition? Why not just a friendly get-together of the members of the forum?

Yeah, yeah, you would expect a girl to say something like that. [angelic] But seriously...I don't think the catfest last April was competitive, and people seemed to have plenty of fun then.

There's a demolition derby that evening back in Ogden, so I'd leave around 5:30 or 6, about the time dinner would start - and I wasn't going to compete anyway...so maybe I have no real say in this whole thing. Despite that, I was really looking forward to seeing a lot of you, even if just for an hour or so during the judging before dinner.

There may not be judging now, but at least a PAR-TAY! [Wink] Maybe?

It's just a suggestion.

edit
P.S. And yes, since I'm so geared up to keep this "alive", I'd be willing to help out. Can't do anything financially, but could keep lists of who's bringing what, or something.
Oh, and I could probably help set up when we start, but won't be able to help clean up, after... since I'll be gone watching cars crashing! [laugh]
[signature]