Fishing Forum
My little toon - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Float Tube Fishing (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=396)
+--- Forum: Float Tubing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+--- Thread: My little toon (/showthread.php?tid=661615)

Pages: 1 2

My little toon - Jay76 - 05-01-2011

Picked up a Classic Accessories pontoon not to long ago from Wally World. So far i love it, mostly take it out to corona lakes. Since owning it i have tinkered around with it alitte, added a 34lb tolling motor, Humming bird 170, made pvc combination pole/net/oar holders, swivel seat and a seat riser made from 2x4's so i can shift my weight foward and make room for battery freeing up cargo basket for a cooler. 35 dollars to register due to motor. Cant wait to take it out to Irvine lake for bass and crappie.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - cpierce - 05-02-2011

Cool! Nice job on the accessories.

I particularly like your model!!![laugh]
[signature]

Re: [cpierce] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-02-2011

Thanks, west marine has a nylon skeg kit i think im gonna put on to help with tracking.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - albinotrout - 05-02-2011

Nice work and it looks like your little helper wants to go out in it.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - flygoddess - 05-02-2011

[quote Jay76]Thanks, west marine has a nylon skeg kit i think im gonna put on to help with tracking.[/quote]

I don't think they help. These boats are made to be pulled not pushed. I like the thought put in for the Oar holders...nice job!
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-02-2011

Thanks about oar hodlers. Your probably right about the skeg kit, might be more trouble then they are worth.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - smallmouth89 - 05-02-2011

Is your PVC setup zip tied to the frame? I too like the oar holders. Great set up for lake fishing but watch those vertical rods if you drift a river.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - cpierce - 05-02-2011

Did you turn the head of your motor around so that the forward speeds pull you backwards?

Going backwards you should have no problem steering with your fins.
[signature]

Re: [smallmouth89] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-02-2011

I used metal adjustable pipe clamps to the cargo rack.
[signature]

Re: [cpierce] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-02-2011

So far i have been just reaching behind me and trying to steer it like a boat, gets alittle tricky but the swivel seat really helps out. Havent used fins yet, but im trying to find a pair of hot spots when im not anchored.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - flygoddess - 05-02-2011

Nice thing is, you can get the smaller less expensive fins with the fact you have a motor and oars, but I do think every one should have them on stillwater...rivers are a different story.

I am totally impressed. Very clean.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - TubeDude - 05-02-2011

[cool][#0000ff]Lookin' good. I'll bet that front seat "accessory" cost more than your toon. And the payoff on that one has a long ways to go. I know. It never ends.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-02-2011

[laugh] Your right, it never ends, looking to pick up a ODC 420 next.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - paledun - 05-03-2011

Very nice indeed, should give you many hours of fishing pleasure. I'm just curious as to what you used on the fish finder mount ?
[signature]

Re: [paledun] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-03-2011

I made a bracket from pvc and a springer clip that mounts to the frame just below my seat.If you go into my profile gallery, i believe i have a picture of it.
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-03-2011

[Image: imac0094]
I cant figure out how to get image from my gallery to post,but here is the image number, IMAC0094
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - cpierce - 05-03-2011

Good pictures in your gallery! You did a nice job on your toon accessories, and some good fish too!!

In those pictures it doesn't look like you turned your motor head around, but I couldn't see the handle of your motor at the same time as the bottom, so correct me if I am wrong. I am just going by the pictures and the comment you made about tracking.

What I am talking about is that a pontoon is really hard to push with an electric motor. They don't track, and it will drain your battery down trying to push one.

So what most of us do is that we loosen the screw that is just below the head on the motor and turn the motor head around until it faces the same way as the propeller. When you look at it the long part of the motor and the handle should both be on the same side. That way the forward speeds of the motor can pull you backwards through the water and you can steer with your fins. You will be going the same way as you would if you were rowing. It also makes it easy to troll.
[signature]

Re: [cpierce] My little toon - Jay76 - 05-03-2011

I have heard ot people rotating the handle, until now i dont know why i havent tried it out. Makes sense, when you see a bass boat, the trolling motor is pulling. When i get a chance i will mess around with it.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] My little toon - smallmouth89 - 05-03-2011

As the tv add states"priceless"!

God Bless,
Don
[signature]

Re: [Jay76] My little toon - smallmouth89 - 05-03-2011

Trying to push like a regular rear mounted motor situation is an exercise in futility. I hadn't thought of the "pulling" setup until Joni offered her sage advice. I haven't even been on the water yet. But I'm going to try that out. Then I'll have to get an operator's licence. Don't know for sure but I don't think I need registration numbers here in Ontario.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]