Fishing Forum
Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Idaho Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=353)
+--- Forum: Idaho Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? (/showthread.php?tid=681185)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - BigOregon - 07-27-2011

Hi my friends- this is Dave Smith of Dave Smith Decoys in Oregon. Hey, it's a long story, but I am on a weird mission to try to catch a big(gish) male brook trout in spawning colors and am really hoping to hear that Henry's Lake has kicked a few out in the last few years? I keep hearing of almost entirely females, but am hoping there are enough naturally-spawned males in there to make a trip worth it. Does anyone have any recon or heard of any big males caught in full spawning colors?
ANY news, help, or nudge in the right direction will be GREATLY, GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Important to tell you right up front: if I get lucky and catch one sooner or later, I will probably not be releasing it.
Even more important: PLEASE: let me know what I can do in return for any help. If anyone is applying for big game tags here and I can scout or if anyone is looking information about fishing areas or needing turkey decoys- help with fish taxidermy/replicas. I just appreciate ANY help as this is super important to me and I will do anything I possibly can. I'm in a tough situation in that I can't make any trips to Henry's before this fall so I am really relying on help and can't thank you guys enough for any advice!
Dave
[signature]

Re: [BigOregon] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - phutch30 - 07-27-2011

The brookies being stocked are now sterile triploids i.e females. There should be some natural recruitment though. You may have to weed through a bunch to find a big male.
[signature]

Re: [phutch30] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - Excaliber551 - 07-27-2011

Dave we caught a bunch of nice sized Brookies last year but they were not very colorful at all. The biggest was close to 4 pounds but really washed out. They tend to have a silvery/ purplish hue to them and not much of the reddish belly/dark green backs,colorful spots you're thinking of.

I was surprised by the color of the brookies in there.

We fished in October and right up until you couldn't fish anymore( 2nd week of November)so they were as colorful as they were going to get.

I've seen some very nice colored ones from Henry's in the last couple years but we didn't see any.
[signature]

Re: [Excaliber551] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - flygoddess - 07-27-2011

Same here. I did land a 21" bright colored a couple years ago, but last year were more like Dolly's.
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - troutpimp - 07-28-2011

Hi Dave, I told you what I know already, but it is good to see you on here. The males in spawn are a tough deal, but it is do-able. Either way you stand a chance to catch the biggest brookies you will see West of Newfoundland.
[signature]

Re: [BigOregon] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - brookieguy1 - 07-28-2011

About 400 miles further south may get you the results you're looking for.
[signature]

Re: [brookieguy1] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - flygoddess - 07-28-2011

That is what I was thinking after seeing the pictures you guys have posted.

But, didn't Windriver's son pull a nice one out of the ice?
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - curt69 - 07-28-2011

Windriver caught a 21" and his sons was 22" Both females I think . There is a picture of the 21"er in the ice fishing section . If you don't get a big one in the fall and you would like to try for one in December through the ice . I have all the equipment we would need to give it a shot . I plan on ice fishing it a lot . I even bought an old used snowmachine to pull my gear around . I moved the picture over from the ice fishing contest . I hope it worked . Curt G.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=67811"][inline henrys10ice#5contestbrookie21inches.jpg][/url]
[signature]

Re: [curt69] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - windriver - 07-28-2011

Here is a link to the pictures of the 22" Brookie with color. I would have mounted it just didn't have any money so we let it go.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=626628;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=626628;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]

Windriver
[signature]

Re: [windriver] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - BigOregon - 07-28-2011

Thankyou, guys, THANKYOU for the help. This is a tough one. I was just about ready to give up on Henry's and then windriver had to post that pic- lol!
phutch- thanks for the info- that actually helps alot. Sifting through a bunch of fish to get to the one I want doesn't actually sound too terrible when you put it that way- ha ha.
Excaliber551- thanks for the post. Yeah, kinda scary for my odds if you guys are fishing it multiple times in the fall and not getting any males. I think since the females are sterile, even they aren't getting spawning colors- sounds like I would really have to hit a "wild" fish. Your post really helps me put things into perspective and I appreciate it!
flygoddess- would love to see a pic of that and congrats on catching one! We have a mutual friend in the sharkinator- thanks for the info
troutpimp- yup, and I appreciate the help! I have never been in this situation before- having to rely on people so much. I enjoy just picking a lake or river to fish or drainage to hunt, etc, and learning it on my own- here I am at the mercy of others until I at least pic a jumping off point. I read and re-read your kind help to me weekly!
brookieguy1: you know you're asking the right people when their named "brookieguy" lol! I would love to have all your knowledge and experience! On that place 400 south, does it start with a "K"?? I can't tell you how much I would appreciate and info in that area and know that I fish alone and am ridiculously tight-lipped. THANKS for posting.
curt69: that is so kind of you I can't believe it- first, seening that pic sparks some renewed enthusiasm for me. I am working so much this summer and trying to keep reminding myself how worth-it this will be and that really helps! Hey, I have a Kawasaki Teryx with snow tracks- that would get us around! Looks like they still hold their spawning colors well into ice-time- very cool!
windriver- congrats! That si about the ultimate- what a gorgeous fish. As an artist- I look at that and just melt. there is no way anyone could ever reproduce that perfectly. Hey, I wanted to remind you that there is always a possibility of getting a replica made of that fish anytime in the future. If you need any help or help finding the right person locally, or the right mold or anything, I will gladly help any way I can. I'll find some pics of fish that were caught & released and then I made replicas of from already existing molds and post them in hopes of showing you that the chance to get that fish mounted will ALWAYS be there for you.
DAVE [url "mailtoConfusedwimbait@comcast.net"]swimbait@comcast.net[/url]
[Image: bonefish022.jpg]
[Image: fish057.jpg]
[Image: 0506group182.jpg]
[Image: mybass135.jpg]
[signature]

Re: [BigOregon] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - flygoddess - 07-29-2011

Tell Shell, still waiting to go fishing.....
I am so glad you joined us. I am a firm believer in Replicas. In Windrivers case, where he could not afford the mount at the time, with replicas you can wait till you have the money, just need good pictures and measurements....plus gives someone else a chance to maybe land that same trophy.

Of course, there is nothing wrong if you would like to consume them...
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - BigOregon - 07-29-2011

[quote flygoddess]Tell Shell, still waiting to go fishing.....
I am so glad you joined us. I am a firm believer in Replicas. In Windrivers case, where he could not afford the mount at the time, with replicas you can wait till you have the money, just need good pictures and measurements....plus gives someone else a chance to maybe land that same trophy.

Of course, there is nothing wrong if you would like to consume them...[/quote]

I'll tell her, Joni! She has alot on her plate right now for sure, but she has mentioned that she's looking forward to getting a chance to fish with you!
Yeah on fish mounts, I tried for years to make skin mounts that really look full and alive and not shruken and never could. I have a huge admiration for the few people that can.
In the cases where someone brought me the actual fish to mold, many times we've molded it quickly and still ate it afterword. Sounds gross I know- lol, but it's like making sure the fish didn't die in vain.
Love it when someone decides to release a big wild steelhead because they are pretty confident that I, or someone else, has a really good mold to match!
Dave
[signature]

Re: [BigOregon] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - BigOregon - 08-14-2011

bumping this up incase anyone has any new info they're willing to share
[signature]

Re: [BigOregon] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - EZOP - 09-09-2011

Nice to see you here Dave, I've read many posts on ifi..
Can't help you with Brookies at Henry's, but I did live in Eastern Washington for a while and caught many Brooks in the 19 to 21 inch range on the Colville Rez. Owhi Lake was the best, but you need to be a tribal member to fish that one, but Mcginnis Lake had some nice fish and that was open to non tribal folks.
[signature]

Re: [BigOregon] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - Aluma165 - 09-09-2011

Fall is the best chance IMO for a big Brookie. I've been on Henry's virtually alone during the late fall. Look up the lady taxidermist on the North side of the lake. (Beautiful log home along the highway on the left before the lodge; look for her sign) The woman is amazing and can color a brookie anyway you want. She's an artist par excellence... She's got a couple of fall brookies on the wall in her studio that her husband caught. He'll also give you a few tips on how they were caught...
[signature]

Re: [EZOP] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - BigOregon - 09-09-2011

[quote EZOP]Nice to see you here Dave, I've read many posts on ifi..
Can't help you with Brookies at Henry's, but I did live in Eastern Washington for a while and caught many Brooks in the 19 to 21 inch range on the Colville Rez. Owhi Lake was the best, but you need to be a tribal member to fish that one, but Mcginnis Lake had some nice fish and that was open to non tribal folks.[/quote]

Hey! I didn't even know you lived in Idaho- I read your posts all the time. I was actually bron in Lewiston. Trying to get back to my home state for a few days this fall. My wife wants to watch Boise State play, so we might ride up together. I will look into that lake in E. WA, and THANKS for the lead!!! Dave
[signature]

Re: [Aluma165] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - BigOregon - 09-09-2011

[quote Aluma165]Fall is the best chance IMO for a big Brookie. I've been on Henry's virtually alone during the late fall. Look up the lady taxidermist on the North side of the lake. (Beautiful log home along the highway on the left before the lodge; look for her sign) The woman is amazing and can color a brookie anyway you want. She's an artist par excellence... She's got a couple of fall brookies on the wall in her studio that her husband caught. He'll also give you a few tips on how they were caught...[/quote]

That's great information and THANKYOU!! I do know who you are talking about, but have never talked to her before. I did talk to another local taxidermist a while back. He told me that alot of people catch brookies that aren't in spawning colors, but then ask him to paint them in full spawning colors- ha ha- that's cheating! lol!
I'll call her up and bribe her with something! THANKS for the help!
Dave
[signature]

Re: [EZOP] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - davehayes - 09-10-2011

Hi. I used to fish Owhi and McGinnis in the late 60's early 70's when I lived for a while in Nespelem (worked for BIA forestry). It was great fishing. So was the San Poil river, tributary to the resevoir behind Grand coulee. I'm sure it's declined. Do you know if the tribe sells permits to non-indians on the Colville Reservation? Thanks, Dave
[signature]

Re: [davehayes] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - EZOP - 09-10-2011

Yep they do, try Jacksons in Nespelem. So does Coulee Playland in Electric City, also Big Wally's in Coulee City.

I don't think non-tribal can fish Owhi, unless their spouse is tribal and with them, at least when I was there that how it worked.
Here's some good info, it has pretty much everything you need to know:
[url "http://www.colvilletribes.com/media/files/2010%20Non-Member%20Fishing%20Regs%20Final.pdf"]http://www.colvilletribes.com/media/files/2010%20Non-Member%20Fishing%20Regs%20Final.pdf[/url]
[signature]

Re: [BigOregon] Henry's Lake Fall brookie's? - Aluma165 - 09-10-2011

[quote BigOregon][quote Aluma165]Fall is the best chance IMO for a big Brookie. I've been on Henry's virtually alone during the late fall. Look up the lady taxidermist on the North side of the lake. (Beautiful log home along the highway on the left before the lodge; look for her sign) The woman is amazing and can color a brookie anyway you want. She's an artist par excellence... She's got a couple of fall brookies on the wall in her studio that her husband caught. He'll also give you a few tips on how they were caught...[/quote]

That's great information and THANKYOU!! I do know who you are talking about, but have never talked to her before. I did talk to another local taxidermist a while back. He told me that alot of people catch brookies that aren't in spawning colors, but then ask him to paint them in full spawning colors- ha ha- that's cheating! lol!
I'll call her up and bribe her with something! THANKS for the help!
Dave[/quote]

She's a very talented lady. She stretches the actual skin over a mount I believe. Hey, the bright fall colors are easy for her...
My friend caught a big brookie last Spring and emailed a photo thru his phone to me. Big prominent head and jaw, almost 5 pounds and plenty of color. Caught it from the shore drifting a bobber and fly tipped with a nightcrawler. Said it cooked up real well which surprised me. I've grilled many Henry's cutts but don't like them much over 20" for eating. The bigger ones would smoke up well if you took home a limit.
(I eat what I catch if possible but release a lot of the typical cutts; 3-4 lbs; you can only eat so much fish)
Good luck on your "quest".
[signature]