Fishing Forum
Splake? - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Splake? (/showthread.php?tid=738470)

Pages: 1 2

Splake? - Gemcityslayer - 04-19-2012

I'm looking to catch my first splake and have a few waters in mind. I was wondering if anyone had any helpful hints or ideas on them. They are a cross between Lakers and Brooke trout... do they behave much different than any other trout?

Appreciate the input.
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - icesore - 04-19-2012

I've caught them at Causey after ice off. With rise and falls in Causey it can be tough to target. Fish lake is by far the easiest place to catch them that I know of. They do fight good but, grow way to slow. That is why I think F&G move to tiger trout.
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - TyeDyeTwins - 04-19-2012

FISH LAKE!!! Sucker meat works like a charm!
[signature]

Re: [icesore] Splake? - wormandbobber - 04-19-2012

[quote icesore]I've caught them at Causey after ice off. With rise and falls in Causey it can be tough to target. Fish lake is by far the easiest place to catch them that I know of. They do fight good but, grow way to slow. That is why I think F&G move to tiger trout.[/quote]

Splake are like any other trout...their growth is very fast under the right situations--when competition for food is high, fish don't grow fast. In many of the places where splake are being used, they are competing with numerous other fish--sometimes chubs, perch, suckers, carp, and even other trout are all competing for food. In Fish Lake, for example, splake grow relatively slowly feeding on plankton and other aquatic insects until they switch over to an entirely piscivorous diet...when they do, growth is accelerated and they grow quickly.

IF you were to take splake, like other trout, and stock them into a situation where competition for food isn't high, they would grow just as quickly as tiger trout or any other trout.
[signature]

Re: [wormandbobber] Splake? - icesore - 04-20-2012

Any fat kid at a buffet will grow fatter, add competition and thoses that can find a niche will succeed. Tiger trout have by far out performed splake because they adapt to the environment. I do agree with some apects you stated but, not all trout are created equal.
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - LOAH - 04-20-2012

The easiest splake fishing I've encountered has been at Joe's Valley Resrevoir, followed by Millsite Reservoir.

At Joe's, you can catch them all day long throwing kastmasters, blue fox spinners, worms, or minnows.

Stick to the steeper shorelines and it shouldn't be hard.

Millsite is relatively the same, but catching with less frequency (in my experience) between the rainbows.

Fish Lake splake have evaded me, thus far, although I've hardly fished it.

Good luck finding them when you go out.
[signature]

Re: [icesore] Splake? - PBH - 04-20-2012

[quote icesore]Any fat kid at a buffet will grow fatter, add competition and thoses that can find a niche will succeed. Tiger trout have by far out performed splake because they adapt to the environment.[/quote]

Are you suggesting that tiger trout coule "adapt to the environment" in Fish Lake, and somehow out-compete the perch?

No way.

It's not about being the "toughest" or the most "voracious". It's not about what they will and won't eat. It's about numbers. And, in a lake like Fish Lake you just can't compete with the number of perch in there. Tiger trout most likely wouldn't do anything different than the splake up there -- which happen to do very well.

So, as far as tiger trout go, what niche would they fill at Fish Lake? What would they eat that would be different than the splake?

I like tiger trout, but I don't believe that they would be a better fish at Fish Lake than the splake.
[signature]

Re: [LOAH] Splake? - Gemcityslayer - 04-20-2012

Ahh thanks for the input guys. Especially LOAH.[Wink]

Will hopefully be posting some pictures of a big one soon. Still accepting input or thoughts on Splake though!!!
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - wormandbobber - 04-20-2012

Here is a pic of a splake caught by my brother this winter at a lesser known splake water:

I am not sure what "outperformed" is supposed to mean, but I would say that the only way tiger trout could be considered "better" fish for Utah is that they are easier to catch than splake...as far as growth goes, if you put splake and tiger trout into the same lake (and I can think of a couple), growth is pretty similar. If you put splake and tiger trout in equal numbers into Fish Lake or Joes Valley, I would suggest that you will have very similar growth and neither will control the chubs or the perch...

...If catching a splake is your goal, Fish Lake and Joe's Valley are probably to good suggestions. Forsyth Reservoir is another good option...
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - one8sevenn - 04-21-2012

I've caught splake in causey, but it's a crap shoot. I've caught koke, bows, tiger, browns and splake out of causey. Fish lake while ice is on is hard to beat. Moon lake and Joes valley also good bets. I only fish splake through the ice. So I hope this helps.
[signature]

Re: [wormandbobber] Splake? - fuzzyfisher - 04-21-2012

i think the lake has a lot to do with how well the fish do as well.. deep lakes seem to be better for splake and shalow lakes seem to be better for tiger trout.. lot's of food seems to help the most for ether tho..

the DWR did put tiger trout in Joe's Vally so far they have not done so good in there. ay least not any big one that i have heard of comeing out of there. the splak other hand seem to do real good in there..
[signature]

Re: [fuzzyfisher] Splake? - PBH - 04-23-2012

[quote fuzzyfisher
the DWR did put tiger trout in Joe's Vally so far they have not done so good in there. ay least not any big one that i have heard of comeing out of there. the splak other hand seem to do real good in there..[/quote]

fuzzy -- how long did it take before anyone found any tm's in Johnson? I wouldn't give up on the Joe's Valley tm already. One of these days, someone will get a nice surprise, and then the cat will be out of the bag.
[signature]

Re: [PBH] Splake? - fuzzyfisher - 04-24-2012

[crazy] i was talking about the tiger trout.. not the tiger musky.... the musky have only been it for what 2 or 3 years now... the tiger trout have been in for 6 or 7 years... plentyof time for them to get good sized... i'm not saying that they have not got big in there i just have not heard of any big ones coming out of J.V. is all.. [sly] it's all good dude..
[signature]

Re: [fuzzyfisher] Splake? - Gemcityslayer - 04-24-2012

Thanks for the bumps guys[Wink]

I'm still looking for any and all input! I have heard they start going deep in the summer.
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - fuzzyfisher - 04-24-2012

i catch them in the same area in the summer as i do ice fishing... i'll need to do the leg work tho to find them.. [sly]..

when ya find the big ones they look like this.. lol
thats the utah state C/R record splake..
[signature]

Re: [fuzzyfisher] Splake? - PBH - 04-24-2012

[quote fuzzyfisher][img]../../../images/gforum/crazy.gif[/img] i was talking about the tiger trout.. not the tiger musky.... [/quote]

doh! my bad.

[quote fuzzyfisher]
when ya find the big ones they look like this.. lol
thats the utah state C/R record splake..[/quote]

pfffttt.

That's just kids stuff Ron. Literally. My niece catches them that big at Joe's. (she kept her's to hang on the wall)

[Image: nicesplake.jpg]
[signature]

Re: [PBH] Splake? - Gemcityslayer - 04-24-2012

That is an awesome fish PBH. Caught from shore?
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - PBH - 04-25-2012

yes -- she caught that splake from shore.
[signature]

Re: [Gemcityslayer] Splake? - Enlightened_One - 04-25-2012

Go to Joes Valley now. This is the best time of year to catch them, especially from shore. A ten pounder is not out the question. If you can get hold of some chub meat, use that.
[signature]

Re: [Enlightened_One] Splake? - Gemcityslayer - 04-25-2012

Is using cut chub effective? Just the cutbait?

Seems to me like you'd be better off fishing strips on jigs.
[signature]