Fishing Forum
Trout in the Jordan river? - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Trout in the Jordan river? (/showthread.php?tid=776511)

Pages: 1 2 3

Trout in the Jordan river? - TylerKunz - 10-18-2012

Are there any trout in the Jordan river? I have heard rumors about " big rainbows" coming from the river. Any validity to these rumors?
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - TroutBumDave - 10-18-2012

I'd heard rumors myself for years and years, but never actually seen anything. That was, until last week. I finally caught a small brown on approx 45th south. I posted pictures in another thread.

They ARE in there, or at least there is one, but they seem to be an exquisite rarity.
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - TubeDude - 10-18-2012

[cool][#0000ff]Trout are not planted in the Jordan but they find their way downstream from the Cottonwoods, Mill Creek and other trout-bearing flows. Some of the best places to find trout are near the creek inlets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the years there have been lots of rainbows and browns caught out of the Jordan...most small to medium size but some bigguns...up to 8 or 10 pounds. Rarer but not impossible are the occasional cutts or even brookies. The only "goldens" have big scales and rubbery lips.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is one spot along the river north of the park in Taylorsville...off 5400 So...that I have seen nice sized browns hanging in a small protected spot next to the bank while I was out for a stroll. But of course they are always gone when I return with tackle. [/#0000ff]
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - bassrods - 10-18-2012

Back in the 70's they (DWR) was planting trout in the Jordan river..

They put them at about all the cross over roads from the Jordan narrows down stream to North Temple..
[signature]

Re: [bassrods] Trout in the Jordan river? - TroutBumDave - 10-18-2012

I'd like to know what your opinion is of what the trout stocking has done to decimate the SMB population of Jordanelle. Please advise.
[signature]

Re: [TroutBumDave] Trout in the Jordan river? - TubeDude - 10-18-2012

[cool][#0000ff]In before the lock.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Rabblerouser.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - aquaman - 10-18-2012

I catch a trout or
Two about every time I fish the jordan river.mostly small bows and browns. Never heard about big bows though. So I was surprised when I landed this 6# plus rainbow.
[signature]

Re: [TroutBumDave] Trout in the Jordan river? - bassrods - 10-18-2012

Don't know what you mean?? I think trout should be planted in all waters and as far as I know the trout get along good with bass..
Small mouth and trout get along great together...
[signature]

Re: [aquaman] Trout in the Jordan river? - flygoddess - 10-19-2012

I have caught trout out of the Jordan, but far and few in between. And I do fish the Jordan river at least 4 days a week. Catch everything else though[cool]
[signature]

Re: [TroutBumDave] Trout in the Jordan river? - riverdog - 10-19-2012

+1, In before the lock.
Even if it went over his head.
[signature]

Re: [riverdog] Trout in the Jordan river? - TylerKunz - 10-19-2012

Well I guess that answers my question! So don't go to the jo riv specifically for trout but I may get lucky and catch one.... Thanks all! Also someone has to explain this "in before the lock" I'm still a noob
[signature]

Re: [aquaman] Trout in the Jordan river? - mojorizing - 10-19-2012

[quote aquaman]I catch a trout or
Two about every time I fish the jordan river.mostly small bows and browns. Never heard about big bows though. So I was surprised when I landed this 6# plus rainbow.[/quote]

Damn, if that's a 6# +, I'm really underestimating my catches.
[signature]

Re: [bassrods] Trout in the Jordan river? - Therapist - 10-19-2012

Especially when they stock the 3-6 inch fingerlings !! Bass love em to death !!

While bass will eat trout, they for the most part are seperate in most waters with bass staying close to structure, rocks, and such, while the trout are suspended out in the water coloumn. That is not a hard and fast rule, but a pretty good general one.

If you want trout, you troll or cast the water column where they are suspended. For bass, you work the structure along the shore, or over structure in deeper water.

Re: [mojorizing] Trout in the Jordan river? - TroutBumDave - 10-19-2012

[quote mojorizing][quote aquaman]I catch a trout or
Two about every time I fish the jordan river.mostly small bows and browns. Never heard about big bows though. So I was surprised when I landed this 6# plus rainbow.[/quote]

Damn, if that's a 6# +, I'm really underestimating my catches.[/quote]

It's not the size that matters.
[signature]

Re: [aquaman] Trout in the Jordan river? - Envenomation09 - 10-19-2012

[quote aquaman]I catch a trout or
Dang that is the ugliest rainbow I have ever seen
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - Lunkers - 10-19-2012

I have fished Jordan river and never caught a trout, but I have heard they are in there. Mostly Catfish for me.
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - a_bow_nut - 10-19-2012

[quote TylerKunz] Also someone has to explain this "in before the lock" I'm still a noob[/quote]

That is the point where the posts in the thread head in a direction that will probably get it locked.

People like to jump in and get a post in before the Mods can get it locked down.

I think that we still have time before it gets locked but it could go either way real fast.

But to be on the safe side.

In before the lock.
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - Jazzperch1 - 10-19-2012

there are definatly trout in the jordan, i always see trout rising in this one spot i go to and one came clean out of the water, looked to be about an 18 inch brown. but the creek inlets to the river are the best, ive gotten browns, rainbows and even a brookie 50 yrds from the actual jordan at BCC. these 2 pics are the only ones i have pics of from that area.
[signature]

Re: [a_bow_nut] Trout in the Jordan river? - TylerKunz - 10-19-2012

[quote a_bow_nut][quote TylerKunz] Also someone has to explain this "in before the lock" I'm still a noob[/quote]

That is the point where the posts in the thread head in a direction that will probably get it locked.

People like to jump in and get a post in before the Mods can get it locked down.

I think that we still have time before it gets locked but it could go either way real fast.

But to be on the safe side.

In before the lock.[/quote]

Ha thats what i thought... Thanks!
[signature]

Re: [TylerKunz] Trout in the Jordan river? - PBH - 10-19-2012

My old man fished the Jordan, as well as lot's of other irrigation ditches and drain ditches in West Valley (Granger) all the time. Trout were what he was always after. Obviously, a few things have changed since then:

3600 West
[Image: 3600WestDrainDitch1957.jpg]
[signature]