Fishing Forum
Tibble Fork!!! - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Tibble Fork!!! (/showthread.php?tid=804738)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tibble Fork!!! - Flyfishinglover - 03-11-2013

Went to tibble fork for a small day trip. End up meeting OldTroller after 1 hour of being on the lake by my self. I fished all over the lake and it was pretty good anywhere. It was funny when I went from the south end to the north side a while after he was lonely so he came to the other side to slam some fishing a different area.

To sum it up this day was just amazing I caught 70+ and I believe the troller slammed 90+. In the end OldTroller was all about the quantity but for FFL it was about the quality.

The weather was great but could of been better with less or no wind.

Watch out for the surprise rainbow picture.
[signature]

Re: [Flyfishinglover] Tibble Fork!!! - brunomoki - 03-11-2013

Sounds like it was a great day . Thanks for the update.
[signature]

Re: [Flyfishinglover] Tibble Fork!!! - FishMcFisherson - 03-11-2013

Sounds like an awesome day, I'm jealous. I've never been to Tibble, but I think I might check it out next weekend.

A couple questions: Is it worth fishing from shore, or is the float tube a must? Also I was looking at Tibble on google maps and noticed "Silver Lake Flat Reservoir" and "Silver Lake" just northwest of Tibble. Have you fished either?
[signature]

Re: [Flyfishinglover] Tibble Fork!!! - wagdog - 03-11-2013

How did they taste? I have never kept a fish from Tibble. Just curious.
[signature]

Re: [Flyfishinglover] Tibble Fork!!! - cuthroat_guy - 03-11-2013

Can you explain cuttyrainbrown ?
I am lost about this, is it a x, or just a name for the fish?
They are all interesting looking fish!
Thanks
[signature]

Re: [FishMcFisherson] Tibble Fork!!! - MasterDaad - 03-11-2013

Tibblefork is primarily fished from the shore. I can cast a Jakes almost halfway across it. Fly fishermen usually stick to the river inlets.

Silver Lake Flat Reservoir is not open yet to wheeled traffic (the road is closed at the Tibblefork parkinglot -- snowmobiles from there up still). Fishing there is very spotty as the reservoir is almost completely drained every year -- last year in particular.

Silver Lake Flat pretty place to go... if you catch a decent fish it's a bonus.

I've eaten a few fish from Tibblefork this winter. They taste just fine.

I have heard they get a little mossy-tasting in the summer, but I can't confirm that with personal experience.
[signature]

Re: [FishMcFisherson] Tibble Fork!!! - Flyfishinglover - 03-11-2013

If you want to have a great time you would be better off in a float tube with a fly rod. Don't even waste your time up at Silver lake flats. Fishing sucks up there as well you would need a snowmobile to get up there still at this time of year. I never went to the other silver lake by silver lake flat.

For sure if the roads aren't bad this year I might check out those lakes higher with my float tube and fly rod this spring or summer.
[signature]

Re: [wagdog] Tibble Fork!!! - Flyfishinglover - 03-11-2013

Fish taste like fish to me. I just pan fry all my fish [Wink] so they taste good too me.
[signature]

Re: [cuthroat_guy] Tibble Fork!!! - Flyfishinglover - 03-11-2013

Watch this video and it will explain everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdkojxrEsM
[signature]

Re: [MasterDaad] Tibble Fork!!! - Flyfishinglover - 03-11-2013

They usually stick to inlet except for FFL and OT. We fly fish the whole lake and still catch them [Smile]
[signature]

Re: [Flyfishinglover] Tibble Fork!!! - flygoddess - 03-11-2013

If I am shore fishing I prefer the Dam area, personally.
I read that there was a warning on consumption of trout taken from Tibble at one time. Does this no longer apply?

Pretty impressive guys. Keep up the good work. Also try a CBS in a size 10 or 12 sometime.

Here is the youtube. The Brownbow is towards the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYdkojxrEsM

Might not appear that funny if you don't fly fish however.
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] Tibble Fork!!! - Flyfishinglover - 03-11-2013

I'm not sure whats the warning are and I've never heard or seen anything post around the lake. There are some times that fly fishing from shore is amazing up there but for now not so much especially if you want to look for the monster bows or brown good luck from shore ha ha ha.

For the part he wants to hear about the cuttyrainbrown that's at 2:25-2:40 with some other great fish names that we have in utah as well. [Tongue][laugh][Wink]
[signature]

What does fishing from shore have to do with size of fish? So were you two trolling?

Oh, and the warning was quite awhile ago. Found this so looks like no worries

"The report said that rainbows caught in American Fork Creek and on Tibble Fork Reservoir are unaffected by the warning because most stocked rainbows don't spend enough time in the water to become affected."

Not sure about the Brown Trout though.
"Fillet samples of Brown Trout from below the Tibble Fork Reservoir had mercury levels ranging
from 0.040-0.078 mg/kg for an average of 0.055 mg/kg. Brown Trout above the Tibble Fork
Reservoir had mercury levels ranging from 0.050-0.068 mg/kg for an average of 0.059 mg/kg."
[signature]

We were basically trolling, stripping line, whipping and making the fish think that the lake was infested with a huge woolly bugger parade, and ect. [laugh]

That's interesting because I have never seen any info for mercury or haven't heard of anything from the DNR that love to talk to me when I'm on shore. If tubedude have been eating fish from Utah lake and he still alive it's should be safe to eat the fish in tibble fork with clean water running in and out. That's my Random angler theory or known as RAT. Ha Ha Ha.

As well once again thanks a lot or that fly reel. It's helping me out A LOT!!! Great reel and line. Doesn't matter if the reel has no back line control just perfect to hit the deep water and catch those fish that I've been catching last and this year.
[signature]

You are most welcome and glad to see it put to good use.
One last note, the species TD catches and eats out of Utah Lake do not show high levels of toxin. Only certain species. Brown Trout in Tibble are exposed.
[signature]

Yep it found a great home.

I thought catfish have high mercury level in Utah lake.[crazy]. It's good that I don't keep browns from tibble or the creek then.
[signature]

Here you go. Just Carp and Channel Cat
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/695215153/High-levels-of-PCBs-found-in-2-Utah-Lake-fish.html?pg=all
[signature]

Re: [Flyfishinglover] Tibble Fork!!! - riverdog - 03-11-2013

This is the time of year to keep the rainbows up there. The thought of eating the freshly stocked bows raised on those dog food like pellets in the hatchery grosses me out. I'd rather skip eating altogether for the day than do that. The fish now have been in there long enough to not reflect their pellet consumption but not too long to accumulate the mercury. I almost went up to Tibble and the Creek yesterday but decided to clean the yard and get the garden going.
Thanks for the report FFL.
[signature]

Re: [riverdog] Tibble Fork!!! - Flyfishinglover - 03-11-2013

Ya I don't keep the small ones. Dang it. It could of been a bigger bft mini party up there with one more member ha ha ha. At least I meet a nice new bfter yesterday that fun too fish with.
[signature]

Re: [FishMcFisherson] Tibble Fork!!! - TyeDyeTwins - 03-11-2013

Here is a link from the trip I took with some buddies and my twin to Silver Lake up in American Fork Canyon last year.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=752170;#752170"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=752170;#752170[/url]

It is a 2 mile one way hike. Fairly steep and not worth fishing IMO. Great views though!
[signature]