Fishing Forum
decon a float tube or toon for muscles - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Float Tube Fishing (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=396)
+--- Forum: Float Tubing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=81)
+--- Thread: decon a float tube or toon for muscles (/showthread.php?tid=808956)

Pages: 1 2

decon a float tube or toon for muscles - albinotrout - 03-29-2013

Ok I am compliant with the Utah decon law. I wash and dry my toons and tubes. My question now is I would like to use my toons and tubes on waters that for some reason have now been infested and I know that they need to be deconned after I leave the water. Has anyone had their equipment sprayed down with the 140 degree water? Any damage? I am curious, Thanks!

The infested waters I am intersted in floating are Sand Hollow and now Lake Powell. Right now I wait patiently.
[signature]

Re: [albinotrout] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - flygoddess - 03-29-2013

I imagine it depends on how well the boat is made. Yes I have.

My question is, why are you just now asking this. You should have had this done for the past 3 to 5 years.

We might not have had a problem if People did take responsibility all along instead of crying that no one checked them. If you do not get check does not mean you got away with anything if you know what I mean.

I would think your Leigh could handle it.
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - albinotrout - 03-29-2013

Ok then. I have the two light toons, 1 striker and the other a striker II. Also a couple caddie tubes. My wife has the outcast fish cat 4. I guess I am worried about having bladders and covers melt.
[signature]

Re: [albinotrout] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - flygoddess - 03-29-2013

Try getting a hold of the Manufacturer. I admit I have had it done once and it scared me. But I always clean my boats and gear very well when I get home. This could get a bit crazy.
[signature]

Read this. Page 6 in particular

http://wildlife.utah.gov/quagga/pdf/boat_inspection.pdf
[signature]

Re: [albinotrout] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - albinotrout - 03-29-2013

Like I said I am compliant using the wash and dry method. I have not floated contaminated waters because of this question. So yes I have kept my gear clean. However the question is there because the Decon will happen right after I would get out on these waters. I appreciate the concern but believe me I clean my gear. I will be happy to comply with the hose down if required of me. I am just concerned about damage that might happen is all.
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - albinotrout - 03-29-2013

Thanks! Interesting read.
[signature]

Re: [albinotrout] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - flygoddess - 03-30-2013

My mistake Albino. It was at Henry's Lake and I thought the hubby took the boats thought the pressure wash. He said no way. He wouldn't let them. If the heat didn't ruin them the pressure sure could.
[signature]

Re: [flygoddess] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - idahoron - 03-30-2013

So what does a person do? If you have to have it washed do you deflate and take it apart? Hope the person doing it doesn't blow a hole in the pontoons?
I am afraid it is only a matter of time before all water has them. I hate to say it but Idaho stops many every year and I am sure a lot don't get checked. Ron
[signature]

Re: [idahoron] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - flygoddess - 03-30-2013

I am just saying they can't high pressure 140 degree power wash a tube or toon without ruining them.
[signature]

Re: [idahoron] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - up2nogood - 03-30-2013

140 degree water will severely burn human skin in less then 5 seconds, what is does to pontoons under pressure would be a concern to someone with these expensive boats costing 1500.00 on up. Hard to know , unless there are members on here that has had it done. I think everyone knows what Idaho's stance is, protect the water, I am sure they do not want to ruin pontoons, but it is what it is. Does anyone know for sure if this would cause damage
[signature]

Re: [up2nogood] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - BigEZ - 03-30-2013

The other alternative is to let it sit dry for a period of time. (in terms of days) If you have a couple of inflatables perhaps you could use one on those waters and let it sit dry for a few weeks while you use the other elsewhere.
[signature]

Re: [BigEZ] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - albinotrout - 03-30-2013

I thought about using multiple craft because of this issue. In Utah you have to wash and let dry 7 days during summer, 18 days spring and fall, 30 days during the winter.
[signature]

Re: [albinotrout] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - mojorizing - 03-30-2013

Just clean the boats good and examine them. When we go to Henry's lake, it's usually way past 7 days since any of our boats have been in any water.
It's not hard to check a kick boat or float tube for IS. It's a little more difficult for a regular boat. That's why the hi pressure, high heat cleaning. More places for the little ba$tards to hide.
Just do your part and clean, dry, and try to stay away from infested waters unless you keep your kickboat or tube stored for the correct amount of time to kill any IS.
Edit: I forgot to mention a spray bottle with Clorox. Spray and wash down. Fins, waders, oars any anchor ropes and nets.
[signature]

Re: [mojorizing] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - idahoron - 03-30-2013

The pickiest IS check station I have been through is Bruneau. A couple years ago a guy from the Twin Falls area dug out his float tube and headed for CJ strike. He sat the tube on his mowed yard. When he got there they threw a fit because he had grass on the tube.
Now lets take that example. If they don't like your tube or toon because it has road dust on it or grass from the yard and they decide to pressure wash it. Can a guy fight it? At the CS near Salmon dam if your from Idaho and have not left Idaho they tell you not to stop. I do and they said "only the A-hole in Bruneau makes instate people stop." Ron
[signature]

Re: [idahoron] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - BigEZ - 03-31-2013

I believe they will only demand you go through the cleaning if you are trying to launch so they could deny you the ability to launch. I haven't done my class in a year or so but I have a foggy memory about quarantine but can't remember the details.
[signature]

Re: [BigEZ] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - idahoron - 03-31-2013

It would be nice to know if a person could go home clean it and dry it for the appropriate amount of time and then be okay but how do you prove you did it? I thought you had to go through cleaning when you left the contaminated area.
When you take the class please keep this thread in mind and remember to inform us. Idaho is more in the game with keeping them out, not dealing with a problem area.

I talked to to the company who made my boat. They are looking into what a 140 degree pressure on the Maxxon tubes would do. They were not wild about anyone shooting them with that kind of heat and PSI. The thickness of my pontoons are much heavier than most. If they are worried about it I am more than worried. I don't want any part of a wash by one of the check station personnel. I am not saying that those people lack in intelligence, I am saying they lack in giveadamn about my boat. Ron
[signature]

Re: [idahoron] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - albinotrout - 03-31-2013

I have sent emails to the following companies. Outcast, Venture Outdooors, and Caddis. I will post their responses when I get them.
[signature]

Re: [albinotrout] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - idahoron - 03-31-2013

Thanks, It will be interesting to see what they say. Ron
[signature]

Re: [idahoron] decon a float tube or toon for muscles - flygoddess - 04-01-2013

At a couple of Idaho check points I have hot in the past, the gas motor was more a concern than the easily visual of a PVC coated pontoon.

Many Idaho lakes do not have the check, plus many people haul there boats deflated in the back of a truck or a trunk.

It all boils down (no pun intended) to people being responsible and realize, laziness will only hurt yourself. It can happen to you attitude.

Also, not placing blame as I feel wind and Birds are capable of carrying invasive species, but, we in Utah are still very concerned.
These were however found in a LARGE lake that is hit by tons of tourist because of the weather including many Idahoans. So, I do feel Utah is trying their best at controlling this problem.
[signature]