Fishing Forum
Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Willard & Utah Lake Fish Report Archive (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=86)
+--- Thread: Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 (/showthread.php?tid=897921)

Pages: 1 2

Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-16-2014

[#0000FF]S'prise! I got in a boat again...with Utwalleye. Met Boatloadakids at the ramp before we headed out at about 6:30. He went after cats. We went around the bend to try for some walleyes.

Air temp 60 and water temp 67 at launch. Nice. No wind. Just a nice little "walleye ripple" at times. But not many walleye. The "usual suspects" were lined up out along the edge of the rock shelves but they seemed to move around a bit...as if not finding much action.

Chuck and I threw all kinds of plastics and cranks from shallow (4') to deep (7.5'). Lots of "rattlers" (baby white bass) and we even hooked a few. Also caught a couple of mudders (bullhead cats). But only one actual walleye hooked and netted. And I caught it. Yee haw. 24" and 5 pounds.

We caught the only walleye about 9 am. Stuck it out and washed a lot of lures until about 1. Finally admitted it was still a bit early for the best fall walleye action. But a nice day with good company. Thanks for the boat ride Chuck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - Duckbutter - 09-16-2014

That last picture was beautiful with the colors on the mountain. That walleye is awesome. Nice catch.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - MasterDaad - 09-16-2014

Just one Walleye... but one very nice walleye. Congrats on the successful trip!
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - Boatloadakids - 09-16-2014

Good to meet you guys at the launch. I stayed in the Benjamin slough and harassed the cats. Lots of bites and probably hauled in a dozen or so... best was maybe 25 inches. They were partial to the 4 in. wb but caught a couple on carp meat.

The carp were out and about doing their surface slurp thing. Noted that some of them were real hogs... drilled one with the bow that looked to be 30 in. long but he came "unhooked" as I tried to lift him in the boat. Kept one carp for bait and noted that it was full of eggs... second spawn??

Purty day and lots of bait for tomorrow. Tuff to have to fish every day.[Wink]

Maybe I spend too much time out there... Was at home last night about 9:30ish when I got an aggressive knock on my front door... didn't bother to use the doorbell. Answered it and was greeted by a Ut. Co Sheriff. Gulp. Did a real quick mental review of my recent past activities but couldn't pull anything up that would bring on the fuzz. He wanted to know if the white Chey truck with diamond plate bedrails and diamond plate toolbox with plate number xxxxxxx was mine. Yep. Anybody else drive it. Nope. That truck was identified as the suspect vehicle in a violent burglary earlier in the day somewhere up near SLC. Gulp! They grilled me a bit, checked to see if my plates had been recently removed and felt to see if the engine was still warm. Guess I convinced them that I was just and old codger fisherman and not really into violent burglaries. I guess I'm in the clear.
The only place I park that truck is at Lincoln Beach so I figger somebody got a perfect description of it and somehow decided it was a good suspect vehicle. I DIDN'T DO IT!!

BLK
[signature]

Re: [Boatloadakids] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - gmwahl - 09-17-2014

Ha! You've been discovered, you criminal!! You'll be in jail and no threat to me anymore for the contest![Wink]

I'm jealous that you are getting out and fishing for whiskers, I'm stuck in Washington DC wishin' I was fishin'. Maybe I can sneak one more trip in as soon as I get home this week. Best of luck to ya.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - high_n_dry - 09-17-2014

Sweet Walleye, and healthy looking too.

I'd still like to land one at UL before year end. I kinda figured you'd be out there this week after your successful Knolls adventure the other day. Were you fishing the usual area amongst the jig eating rocks? I Sadly left a fair assortment of my hand painted creations on those ledges last fall when the wife and I took the boat out for the last trip of the year.

It's been a great week for you thus far with some encouraging reports to boot.

Hope the fall weather is kind to us all.
[signature]

Re: [gmwahl] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - Boatloadakids - 09-17-2014

gmwahl-- Hope you are enjoying Washington. Really miss you and can't wait for your Oct. 1st return.

Figger I got two weeks to take you down and I'll be giving it my best shot.[Wink]

I DIDN'T DO IT!

BLK
[signature]

Re: [Boatloadakids] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - FishMcFisherson - 09-17-2014

Those Yanks called in a bogus report to keep you from winning the contest... AGAIN.[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - utwalleye - 09-17-2014

Thanks for the company, lots of fun and lots of stories. too bad I didn't put one of them little fish in the boat. oh well maybe next time. we'll have to set a date for them tiger trout some time next month. thanks again Pat, talk to you later.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - albinotrout - 09-17-2014

Great report as usual Pat. Love the pics. One of these days/years I will catch one of those Utah lake walleyes.
[signature]

Re: [Duckbutter] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-17-2014

[quote Duckbutter]That last picture was beautiful with the colors on the mountain. That walleye is awesome. Nice catch.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Thanks. Glad I could sacrifice a day to go fishing, make a report and post pictures for you. Somebody's gotta do it.[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [MasterDaad] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-17-2014

[quote MasterDaad]Just one Walleye... but one very nice walleye. Congrats on the successful trip![/quote]

[#0000FF]Thanks. I'll settle for just one of those whenever I get one. They make ya earn every one.[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [Boatloadakids] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-17-2014

[#0000FF]Glad you found some playful kitties. I was surprised that we didn't have any munching our jigs out there. Have caught a few on past trips while slinging the same stuff in the same area.

Interesting on the egg-laden carp. They do not have an extended spawn but that one may have simply not found a "dance partner" during the cool delayed spring. Or...there may be an individual medical condition at work. Whatever...it's good to know that at least one egg factory didn't go into production this year.

About the "official visit" from the law. Don't have an answer to that one either. 'Twasn't me that reported you. You just gotta be more careful in the future when you pull off your big jobs. You nasty criminal, you.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [high_n_dry] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-17-2014

[#0000FF]Thanks. Yeah, that fish was healthy and had nice thick white fillets. On the menu for tonight.

We fished along a long stretch of water out from the point...out from the rock ledges. We fished all the way from right where the ledges drop off into deeper water out to the constant 7+ foot depths. We did get some "rock bass" in shallower water but were generally able to get them free by using the electric motor to move over top of them and wiggle them loose. The one walleye we brought in and a couple of other "suspicious" hits were all out in the deeper ranges.

Lemme know if you can get free in the next month or so and I will try to arrange an introduction to one of those toothy critters for you.

Hopefully the fall cooldown happens without a lot of wind. But we need the water so some rain early and snow later will do more good than harm.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [utwalleye] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-17-2014

[quote utwalleye]
Thanks for the company, lots of fun and lots of stories. too bad I didn't put one of them little fish in the boat. oh well maybe next time. we'll have to set a date for them tiger trout some time next month. thanks again Pat, talk to you later.[/quote]

[#0000FF]I always enjoy fishing with you Chuck. But you are going to have to practice more than just going out with me a couple of times a year. As you well know, those walleyes are twicky. You gotta keep your skills honed and stay in tune with their movements and their changes.

The lower water this year has brought back memories of similar conditions in years past. But the walleyes we are fishing for were not around the last time the water levels were this low. They may have some instincts about where to go and how to survive but they don't have the same memories we do. So we just gotta get down and conduct some training sessions.

Your BFT handle is well earned, over many years of successful walleye pursuit. Not many (if any) other Utah anglers can honestly lay claim to having caught more walleyes than you have in the various walleye ponds of this state.

Just goes to show ya though. Those fish can humble anybody at times. Even the best walleye tangler in the state has to smell skunk sometimes. The flip side of that is there are just as many or more walleye caught by rank amateurs...or folks who are fishing for something else...caught by accident. Anybody who claims to be able to catch walleyes on every trip will lie about other things too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - danielc - 09-17-2014

Very nice Walleye TD did you notice if their was a D-Con station still set up down there? I went to Powell and now need to Decontaminate, Or wait 18 days.
[signature]

Re: [danielc] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-17-2014

[#0000FF]Lincoln Beach is a Utah County park and there are nice restrooms and a covered picnic area. But very few other amenities. No decon station.

Not familiar with Provo Harbor (State Park) but that would be your best bet for decon on Utah Lake. Otherwise, contact DWR directly for the closest place to get it done.

Congrats on recognizing the need for decon and the willingness to observe the proper procedures.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - Trout_lover - 09-17-2014

Sometimes catching one good fish makes it worth getting up at the crack of dawn to fish. Nice walleye! I hear they are good.
[signature]

Re: [Trout_lover] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - TubeDude - 09-17-2014

[#0000FF]Yes, walleye are delicious. Not only are they firm and mild tasting but every bite confirms how good/lucky you were to be able to bring one home. Each is a reward to those who pursue them.

And getting up at "fish o'clock" is always a reward in itself to me. Seeing the sun come up and hearing Mama Nature's morning choir tuning up around me is a special treat. Those who miss it are missing more than having a longer day.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Lincoln Beach 9-16-14 - Boatloadakids - 09-17-2014

Just a quick follow-up report--

I'm still one step ahead of the law so I hit Lincoln again today. Beautiful... calm water and good cat and carp action. Carp were everywhere in bunches and gobs doing their surface slurp. Couldn't help myself, I had to give them a go with my bow. Big old bruisers... got a couple that were 28 inchers. Did not take long to figger out I had to either fish or shoot... can't do both. Had my pole in a rod holder and had a cat dang near rip it right out of the socket. Big ol' 30 in. cat. The only thing that saved my pole from going in was the drag set. Fish or shoot, one or the other.

Cats were active today and I caught at least a dozen or so... mostly 24 to 27 inchers. They were biting best on a big slab of carp meat. 30 incher was the fish of the day... felt like a moving snag when I duked it out with him. He's still in there, probably put on another couple of inches by next year.

Feelin' the itch to get back out there already. Tomorrow morning for sure... that 33 incher that will dislodge gmwahl from first place in the contest is waiting for me.

It's a tough life but I manage ok.

BLK
[signature]