Fishing Forum
Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 (/showthread.php?tid=950791)

Pages: 1 2

Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - TubeDude - 10-28-2015

[#0000FF]Met up with BFTer and tooner high n dry at the north marina at Willard this morning. Air temp a chilly 38 at launch. Water temp stayed between 55 and 56 all morning.

Mostly cloudy, with a purty sunrise behind the mountains. Light breezes most of the morning, with periods of flat calm. Lovely conditions...for the fishermen. For fishing...not so much.

Saw a lot more fish on sonar than on the ends of our lines. We speculated that the big bright moon hanging over the lake upon our arrival might have something to do with that. Hey, if it is acceptable as an excuse...go for it.

We both dragged bait on one rod (perch meat or carp meat) and pitched a wide range of plastics on our second rods. Very little action on lures. Did get a few Willard Bay cookies (kitties) on the bait. And I got one on a white "hangershot" jig.

The fish we saw on sonar not only had the middle fins upraised, but if you looked closely you could see little padlocks on their lips. Tough crowd.

Saw one boat go out and head west. Two kayakers. One was a yellow paddler. The other was the venerable RockyRaab. Both of them headed for the north dike area and never got a report back to see how either of them did.

Tough day, but at least the water temps are dropping into the zone where it might not be out of line to expect a few crappies or a walleye or two. Maybe a few of those big perch will show up too. I can hope, can't I.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - high_n_dry - 10-28-2015

Thanks for the company and sharing some of that good luck you carry around with you. First cats this year for me. Looking forward to a couple more outings before the hard deck sets in. I think the weather is going to start changing abruptly by the looks of it. The temps are headed down for sure.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - albinotrout - 10-28-2015

Nice to see the moon still isn't scary for you to still him out and catch a few.
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - RockyRaab - 10-28-2015

After my late start because I couldn't find my park pass (only to realize that it was definitely in the glove box when I last had the truck serviced. Grrr!)

After pleasantries with TD and H&D, I zoomed north to the kitty condo area to drift back and drag a kitty bait. Nada.

When I got back to where the inflatable navy had been, they were gone. And right there my white spinnerbait wiper lure went bendo and pulled drag. Finally got it up to the net and my wiper had transformed himself into a 24" cat. Fish. I think I'll name him/her/it Caitlyn.

Met up with the yellow yakker, who had fished the northwest corner area with only one taker before heading back home.

That was a good idea, thought I. On the ramp sat a fish cop, who assiduously checked a boat with Arizona registration for mussel papers but just waved at me. Geez, do I look THAT innocent?
[signature]

Re: [RockyRaab] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - albinotrout - 10-28-2015

They know you Rocky
[signature]

Re: [RockyRaab] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - high_n_dry - 10-28-2015

They know you'd be crazy to do anything illegal while pedaling that Paddle-ack around and risk loosing it. Real nice setup you have there I must say. Looks fun too.
[signature]

Re: [high_n_dry] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - TubeDude - 10-28-2015

[#0000FF]Almost unforgivable that this was our first trip together this year. As Kermit the Frog says: "See how fun times when you're having flies."

Always good to spend time on the water with ya. And glad you got a few for the smoker.

I think your forecrash is kee-wrecked. Liable to be colder and worser before we see any more summer. Still should be able to get out another time or two. Still looking at next Thursday.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [RockyRaab] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - TubeDude - 10-28-2015

[#0000FF]Condolences and commiserations on the "missing" park pass. That's worse than stealing money.

A Cait-fish? I've had a few of those "whiskery walleyes" or "whiskery wipers" my ownself. Marvy how those silly kitties can do the magical trans species thing betwixt hookup and netting.

Are we gonna meet up at Pineview for our annual crappiethon? Heard tell there were a lot of them...and some bigger ones this year.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - RockyRaab - 10-29-2015

Good sir, Pat, I fear not. Unless we meet there with augers in sleds.

I think I'm going to mothball the Hobie-maru for the season, based on the weather prognostiguesses for next week. I hoping they're right, to be honest. Bring on dat el Nino thing! We really REALLY need the wa-wa.
[signature]

Re: [RockyRaab] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - albinotrout - 10-29-2015

Yes winter is arriving. I got everything out away this week for the winter with access to ice gear when it comes time.
[signature]

Re: [albinotrout] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - ducksfresh - 10-29-2015

While you gents are waiting out the snow goddess I will be thinning the duck population to keep them from drinking what water we have!!!! Do you think my wife believes this?
[signature]

Re: [ducksfresh] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - albinotrout - 10-29-2015

[quote ducksfresh]While you gents are waiting out the snow goddess I will be thinning the duck population to keep them from drinking what water we have!!!! Do you think my wife believes this?[/quote]

Good luck trying to get your wife to believe that one.[Tongue].
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - Piscophilic - 10-29-2015

Glad you got out and had some fun. 38 degrees is cold and you are looking for cooler water temps for the walleye and crappie!

I am curious, do you intentionally slow your presentation as the water cools?

Thanks again for the "cool" report!
[signature]

Re: [Piscophilic] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - TubeDude - 10-29-2015

[quote Piscophilic] I am curious, do you intentionally slow your presentation as the water cools? [/quote]

[#0000FF]As cold-blooded creatures, fish normally slow down when the water cools...and their metabolism follows. They move slower, eat less and eat less often.

So, yes, I do downsize my offerings and slow down my presentations. Some fish will still take larger baits and lures but you will usually catch more by using smaller stuff.

I have been fishing Willard Bay since the mid 1970s. I discovered by accident...fishing for crappies with small jigs...that walleye would take small lures better in the colder water than they would larger lures. The only two things you have to do is 1. find the fish...and 2. get them to bite. Simple? Yes. Easy? No.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Thanks for the insight! I knew smallish and slowish were the rules for under the hard deck. I have not fished much in the transition between early fall and ice up, but I was guessing I should move in the directions you described.

This year I may get out a few times, if I can just get past how cold it feels so soon after our "summer" ended[Smile]
[signature]

Re: [Piscophilic] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - TubeDude - 10-29-2015

[#0000FF]Cold weather gear and gloves...not just for ice fishing.

I usually experience some of my best fishing of the year between the time the wimps leave the water and the ice covers it.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

How funny! I almost finished my last reply with "I guess I have to decide if I'm whimp or not."

I have some cold weather gear and gloves and I'm looking forward to the adventure[Smile]
[signature]

Re: [Piscophilic] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - happybob91 - 10-29-2015

Out of curiosity do what are crappie and walleye like in the cold? May be a dumb question but was wondering that
[signature]

Re: [Piscophilic] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - high_n_dry - 10-29-2015

It really comes down to getting some good thermal gear and layering up. Our coldest trip last fall, to Mammoth Lake, wasn't bad with good layering. Up to four levels I believe. Even wearing my lightweight breathable waders I could still feel my feet after we got off the water. Hands are a bit more difficult to keep warm, but good gloves and the wind gods being kind, helps. It's the cold breeze across the finger tips that bring the temps down fast. On sunny days, once the sun hits the water, it usually improves pretty fast. Come join the fun.
[signature]

Re: [happybob91] Almost mooned at Willard 10-28-15 - Piscophilic - 10-30-2015

Are you asking that question of me (Piscophilic) or did you mean to ask TubeDude?

I haven't chased them in the cold yet. TubeDude has plenty of experience there though.
[signature]