Fishing Forum
Utah lake Pike problem - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Utah lake Pike problem (/showthread.php?tid=964973)

Pages: 1 2

Utah lake Pike problem - big_griggs - 02-04-2016

Ok so how is the best way to catch pike and where do they hang out at. I wanna do my part in helping the dwr remove them[fishon][fishon][fishon][fishon]
[signature]

Re: [big_griggs] Utah lake Pike problem - SkunkedAgain - 02-04-2016

Greg,
Check out the Yuba techniques for pike (I think they use big spoons) and then I'd try the abyss where you have some depth to attract the fish.... Just my guess... Good luck... J
[signature]

Re: [big_griggs] Utah lake Pike problem - TubeDude - 02-04-2016

[#0000FF]You might try for some marlin and sailfish while you are there too. Almost as much chance of catching one as the other.

Contrary to what the "Chicken Littles" would have us believe, Utah Lake is not "overrun" with northern pike. Probably fewer than a handful caught there in a GOOD/BAD year. And virtually all of those are caught by tanglers fishing for other species.

To increase your odds of catching a northern, fish the lures you would fish for walleyes or largemouth...in the harbors or anywhere you can find protection and structure. Not much of either on Utah Lake.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Utah lake Pike problem - Fishrmn - 02-04-2016

Somebody figured it out. The UDWR has a picture that purports to show 4 Northern Pike caught by a single angler in one day from the shore at Utah Lake. I heard tell of it before I saw the picture, or read the UDWR news release.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1806-anglers-fish-in-utah-lake-still-need-your-help.html

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]

Re: [Fishrmn] Utah lake Pike problem - fsh4fun05 - 02-04-2016

Every dog has his day. How can this guy get 4 pike when I can't even get 4 Junies? [:p]
[signature]

Re: [Fishrmn] Utah lake Pike problem - wagdog - 02-04-2016

You could probably get into a few if you fish around Hobble Creek and the Provo where it dumps into the lake. Just do it before March 1. A buddy of mine was fishing Hobble Creek last year and caught one or two on bigger spinners. I don't know if he was targeting them or not but he didn't know to keep/kill them.
[signature]

Re: [Fishrmn] Utah lake Pike problem - TubeDude - 02-04-2016

[#0000FF]I also know of a bass boater who caught two on two casts last year. He said he had never caught one before and has not caught any others since. But that serves to reinforce that the fish are not scattered widely around the lake...but usually group up in very small hospitable areas.

The Saratoga Springs harbor...at Pelican Bay...has been one spot they have been showing up...in higher water. And the oft mentioned mouth of Hobble Creek. I have also heard of a few in the lower stretches of the Provo.

I fish Utah Lake a lot...with all kinds of baits and lures. I have hooked and lost a couple of pike over the years but have never landed one. And I know a lot of other "serious" UL fans who have never even seen a pike over many years of fishing it.

There is no denying their presence but there is also no reason for anybody who is not a terminal masochist to devote their entire focus to catching them.

To the guy who caught 4 pike on one trip I issue the challenge...DO IT AGAIN...even just once.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Utah lake Pike problem - big_griggs - 02-05-2016

Its always been a bucket list of mine to catch one that is why i have asked. I have only heard about them in Utah lake from what i seen online. Were else can i find them?
[signature]

Re: [big_griggs] Utah lake Pike problem - SkunkedAgain - 02-05-2016

Yuba has them legally and bucket isn't a good word to use on this post. Be careful what you say it's like "hi Jack" on an airplane something you don't say. Later J
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Utah lake Pike problem - MR.PIKE - 02-05-2016

Tubedude, in past discussion about Utah lake and Northern Pike was it not discovered that the DWR planted them on there in the 60's or 70's? I couldn't find it on this site but thought it was heavily discussed.
[signature]

Re: [MR.PIKE] Utah lake Pike problem - fsh4fun05 - 02-05-2016

I remember that being discussed. If I recall right they were planted by the powers that be way back in the day. A wise fisherman noted that as the carp are being removed in mass amounts that species that have been in the lake for many moons may start showing up again. Not necessarily in large numbers but their favorite type of structure may be more available around other parts of the lake. Like I said not too long ago-it will be interesting to see what happens with Utah Lake over the next few years.
I really hope the lake can maintain a decent water level this year.
[signature]

Re: [fsh4fun05] Utah lake Pike problem - MR.PIKE - 02-05-2016

I wish who ever knew or proved that would re-share thar information. I have a DWR rep telling me that they would have never done such a thing.
[signature]

Re: [MR.PIKE] Utah lake Pike problem - fsh4fun05 - 02-05-2016

I can't prove that they did or did not nor do I really care. I've seen pictures of pike from Utah Lake back from when I was riding my Big Wheel in my spiderman undies lol. Regardless, they are in there and I'll stay out of the politics. I don't know if they will ever take hold but there is no shortage of forage species so my opinion is that the ones that were caught were a reaction bite. I wouldn't mind catching one, not gonna lie. Hopefully I'll be able to launch this year.
[signature]

Re: [MR.PIKE] Utah lake Pike problem - Fishrmn - 02-05-2016

They did. But there's almost no chance in Hades that the Northern Pike that are in Utah Lake now are descendant from those that were planted in the 70s. The discovery of pike coincides with the flourishing numbers of pike in Yuba a few years ago. I believe that the UDWR has done some DNA sampling on the specimens that have been brought in, and they are from Yuba and Redmond, not from the planting in the 70s.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]

Re: [Fishrmn] Utah lake Pike problem - MR.PIKE - 02-05-2016

Interesting. Probably someone planted them trying to save gas money so they didn't have to drive down to Yuba. I didn't know about the dna testing.
[signature]

Re: [big_griggs] Utah lake Pike problem - Gemcityslayer - 02-05-2016

In most lakes in the midwest where Pike are really abundant, they have a lot of weeds / vegetation... they are ambush predators and if I'm not mistaken use the thick vegetation for spawning too. There is a lake in WY where they "showed up" when the G/F accidentally put some in there... no weeds really and they are super rare. I thought they were going to take off and ruin the lake but it just didn't happen. I suspect the same thing at UL... not optimal conditions for them... would be hard to target them imo.

My 2 cents.
[signature]

Re: [big_griggs] Utah lake Pike problem - Majja - 02-05-2016

Pike also tray to say in cooler water, calling them a warm water species is a bit of a stretch, and as we know UL is not exactly a cold water lake, but either is Yuba for that matter. I have caught a few down at Yuba casting for them off the bank and they are fun to catch and from what I understand pretty tasty, although they have Y-bones in them.

For catching at Yuba I have had good luck on the Storm Wild Eye soft swim baits in a Perch pattern, and caught all mine from shore in the spring time when we go camping down there in April.
[signature]

Re: [MR.PIKE] Utah lake Pike problem - TubeDude - 02-05-2016

[quote MR.PIKE]Tubedude, in past discussion about Utah lake and Northern Pike was it not discovered that the DWR planted them on there in the 60's or 70's? I couldn't find it on this site but thought it was heavily discussed.[/quote]

[#0000FF]I have seen a couple of different lists of fish species planted in Utah Lake over the years...officially. I do not recall seeing northern pike on those lists. But I have also heard of other "unofficial" dumpings of "trial" species...not only in Utah Lake but in other waters as well. None of the DWR folks I have talked to about it have any records or knowledge of it either.

Howsomever...I have been fishing UL since the early 1960s. In the late 1970's I was with a guy fishing for walleyes and he caught a northern at Lincoln Beach. It was about 30 inches long. And I have heard of of other isolated catches over the years.

It seems to be more than "coincidence" that numbers of pike start showing up in UL after the (short lived) pike boom at Yuba. Seems like the bucket biologists have moved up to live wells.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Re: [TubeDude] Utah lake Pike problem - MR.PIKE - 02-05-2016

Hey thanks for your reply. I talked to a guy last night that told me he remembers his dad catching one up there in the early 70's ice fishing and that his friend who was our local game warden said that Utah f&g placed a small number of them in there.
It's hard for me to believe that there are no records of this. Maybe there was a fire, you know, like in some old western movies, and all the records were destroyed. Oh well, I really don't care much, it just sparked my interest a little.
[signature]

Re: [Fishrmn] Utah lake Pike problem - Fowl-Hook - 02-05-2016

If when Officially planted in the 70's Northern Pike failed to establish and in fact as you proclaim all died off with no descendents remaining. What would lead anyone to conclude that a bucket full illegally planted would have a different outcome?
Same scenario different outcome is not likely.
[signature]