Fishing Forum
Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Printable Version

+- Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Utah Fishing Forum (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=386)
+--- Forum: Utah Fishing General (https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Thread: Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge (/showthread.php?tid=974778)

Pages: 1 2

Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - MTBob - 04-26-2016

My son and I are planning a first time trip to Flaming Gorge in early June. We are interested in hiring a guide to show us techniques used at FG for Lake Trout, Kokanee and Smallmouth Bass
Any suggestions?
MTBob
[signature]

Re: [MTBob] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Fish_Utah_Bob - 04-26-2016

Clark Sabey is my favorite guide. He runs a tight ship in order to get you fish, but he will get you fish. For example, Clark wants your head down focused on the rod tip for those light mackinaw bites. Don't make the mistake commenting on the beautiful red rock cliffs of the Gorge...not a good idea!!

Clark just had some surgery, but I think he will be back on his feet and ready to guide in another week or so.

Bob
[signature]

Re: [Fish_Utah_Bob] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Fish_Utah_Bob - 04-26-2016

You can find Clark on Facebook.
[signature]

Re: [MTBob] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - GEEZER - 04-26-2016

Ashley Bonser is the only FG guide I'll ever use!! Get booked soon or you'll lose out on a terrific experience.
[signature]

Re: [GEEZER] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - brookieguy1 - 04-26-2016

2nd that. Ash Bonser will show you a great time and he knows the lake well.
[signature]

Re: [brookieguy1] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - utwalleye - 04-26-2016

the last time I talked to Ash this was going to be his last year as guiding. most of the guides on FG are booked just about 1 year out. give Jim or Clark a call and see if you can get on a waiting list.
[signature]

Re: [utwalleye] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - TRUBBS - 04-26-2016

[quote utwalleye]the last time I talked to Ash this was going to be his last year as guiding. most of the guides on FG are booked just about 1 year out. give Jim or Clark a call and see if you can get on a waiting list.[/quote]

Did he give any reason why?
I've been wanting to get out with him, dang....
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Fish_Utah_Bob - 04-26-2016

Here are a few photos of a single day fishing with Clark...We ended up with seven lakers that morning. As as side note, notice the 18 inch Kokanee in the mouth of one of the lake trout?
[signature]

Re: [Fish_Utah_Bob] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Moosedog - 04-26-2016

You may have a great trip with clark sabey but I would not take any lessons from him on etiquette or sportsmanship toward other boats on the lake. Someday his behavior might catch up with him[Wink]
[signature]

Re: [Moosedog] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - fish_hntr - 04-26-2016

Another vote for Ashley, he is ethical and will answer any seemingly dumb question you may have for him. Last year when I was beginning my search for a boat we chatted for 20-30 minutes about a few things to look for even though I have never used his services, I know 3 people who have been repeat customers of his and appreciate what he does. So you can see why he gets booked so much.
[signature]

Re: [Moosedog] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - fish_hntr - 04-26-2016

[quote Moosedog]You may have a great trip with clark sabey but I would not take any lessons from him on etiquette or sportsmanship toward other boats on the lake. Someday his behavior might catch up with him[Wink][/quote]

Was he one of the guides encouraging clients to keep the larger macs instead of releasing them? I heard there were a couple guides doing this and they should be slapped with a fish tail for it.
[signature]

Re: [fish_hntr] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Fish_Utah_Bob - 04-26-2016

Now, be fair. What are you looking for in a guide? Miss Congeniality or someone that shows one how to get fish and then gets the fish. Technique, lures and rigging, other stuff to look for. After you are done with the guided trip you can choose to welcome boaters up against your boat or yell at those within a 1/4 mile...I don't know Ashley and he is probably a really nice guy, but no need to throw barbs at Clark.

I won't add anymore to this thread, but can't we just share options without trashing anyone.

Bob
[signature]

Re: [Fish_Utah_Bob] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Fish_Utah_Bob - 04-26-2016

I'm breaking my own rule and responding.

No, Clark does not advocate keeping big lake trout.
[signature]

Re: [MTBob] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - MisterCompletely - 04-26-2016

If you're after lakers, you'll need to decide whether you prefer to troll or jig for them. Some guides specialize in one or the other.

I've only been out with Jim Williams of Creative fishing Adventures in Manila, UT. He got me into a 34 lb'er and believe me, he's got the jigging technique down and he'll show you exactly how it's done. I don't doubt that Clark and Ashley are also great guides. It might come down to whoever you can get a date with. I know you can get Jim's calendar online to see what's available, or you can get on a stand-by list in case there's a cancellation.
[signature]

Re: [MisterCompletely] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - liketrolling - 04-27-2016

[quote MisterCompletely]If you're after lakers, you'll need to decide whether you prefer to troll or jig for them. Some guides specialize in one or the other.
.[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what I have seen these guys do I have talked to all of them

Jim Williams of Creative fishing only seen him jigging for lake trout I think you can learn a lot from him

ASHLEY BONSER great guy jigs for lakers and fishes for every thing

Kyle Edwards Conquest Expeditions great guy and trolls for lakers and kokanee

Clark Sabey trolls for lakers and kokanee. I have heard he jigs for lakers in Linwood bay in the fall when they or stacked and doing their thing.

Ashley offered me a real good dill but I did not take him up.
I would rather spend my money buying stuff for my boat.
you can learn a lot on this site, and you tube.
and watching boats but it takes time which I have a lot of.
[signature]

Re: [TRUBBS] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - utwalleye - 04-27-2016

I think he just wants to fish more himself. he told me being out everyday on the lake is ok but he wants to fish too, but as a guide you should not fish but help your clients get fish.
[signature]

Re: [MTBob] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - Tarponjim - 04-27-2016

Only the messenger here.

From the US Forest Service exactly two weeks ago, verbatim, directly to me: "Ashley is not a legal guide on Flaming Gorge." I will stand behind the quote.

435-784-3445. USFS in Manila.
[signature]

Re: [Tarponjim] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - MTBob - 04-27-2016

Thanks guys for all the recommendations, very helpful. I've booked a trip with Clark Sabey.
Bob
[signature]

Re: [MisterCompletely] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - gofish - 04-27-2016

I have to put in my two cents. I haven't tried Ash or Clark but I have had some incredible days with Capt. Jim! I've known and fished with him 20 plus years. The guy knows his stuff. Wouldn't go with anybody else. He will keep you focused. And get you on fish.
[signature]

Re: [gofish] Fishing Guide Recommendations? - Flaming Gorge - sliverslinger - 04-27-2016

I have fished with Jim 3 different times and I'm always looking forward to my next trip out! He is the real deal. Incredible teacher if you will listen and he respects the resource for what it is. Hope to get out with him again very soon. Jake
[signature]