Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake/Cisco Run update, Wed, Jan 25th
Wednesday, January 25, 2017

UDWR Bear Lake Fishing Report:
There is about 30-36” of snow on the ground on the west side of Bear Lake and 18” or more at Cisco Beach. The State Park has plowed along Cisco Beach and access is much better than the last few days. The lake has a fair amount open water on the east side from South Eden north into Idaho. There is no ice along Cisco Beach. Most of the west side of the lake is frozen and therefore, the deicers have been shut off at the marina. There have been some ice anglers fishing off the “pump house”, off the State Park marina and in the weedbed areas south of Gus Rich Point. The ice is 2-4”, but there are many weak and fractured spots on the lake and we do not recommend ice fishing due to unsafe ice. Boat ramps at Cisco Beach and Rainbow Cove have been plowed but are extremely slippery and we not recommend trying to launch boats at this time.

There was choppy water along Cisco Beach today but anglers were able to dip net cisco. The run started about 7:00am and went until about 9:00am. It really helps if you dip net in pairs of people. One person uses a fishing rod with a lure to attract the cisco in and then the person with the net dips the fish. Waders or hip boots recommended. It is important to make sure you only dip net your fish and not other anglers. The run will continue to improve over the coming week and likely peak on the weekend. Fishing for Cutthroat Trout should be good off the Cisco Beach area while the cisco run continues. Try casting large spoons or spinners (#5 or #6) or use streamers/leaches on fly rods.

Those anglers who have been ice fishing are doing good for cisco, but also picking up some whitefish and trout. Spoons such as Kastmasters and Swedish Pimples are working the best. You can also try running a 6-8” dropper line below the spoons with an ice fly for the whitefish.

Please remember, all Cutthroat Trout that are caught and don’t have a healed fin clip must be released. Large Lake Trout are not very good eating and take a long time to reach large sizes, and while they are legal to keep, many anglers are encouraging other anglers to release them.

The UDWR will update the Bear Lake office answering machine with lake conditions, status of the Cisco run, and other fishing opportunities every other day until the end of the Cisco run, but please call after 5pm in order to keep the line open during business hours (7am – 5pm). The number is 435-946-8501. The annual "Cisco Disco" , Polar Plunge, and Bear Lake Winterfest will be held on Saturday, January 28th. More info is available at: https://bearlakemonsterwinterfest.com/
[signature]
Thanks Scott,
Be over with the crowd on Saturday... Later J
[signature]
Thanks for keeping us updated
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
What type of a fly would you recommend for the white fish?
[signature]
THanks for the report i will surely be up Saturday
[signature]
What if I don't have a dip net, could I catch cisco under a bobber or something?

What do people catch them on through the ice?
[signature]
You can snag the with castmasters or just a heavy lead head. 3/8oz Just find the weed line or rock pile and they will come through.
[signature]
The DNR will have some Cisco nets that you can borrow at Cisco beach on the morning of the 28th.

Mike
[signature]
They can be caught just like any other fish. I have watched TubeDude catch them (see below for how he did it).
[signature]
I got one last year on a 1/32 oz tungsten jig with a small piece of meal worm, it ate it. All the rest I snagged with a kastmaster as I jigged for trout. Great fun. J
[signature]
thanks for the info!
[signature]
Thanks for the update, Scott! Your reports are always appreciated. I hope that I can make it out to get some cisco this years. In past years something else always seems to come up that ruins my cisco plans.

After reading your post I do have some questions regarding anglers'opinions about lake trout.

You wrote:

[quote BearLakeFishGuy]
Large Lake Trout are not very good eating and take a long time to reach large sizes, and while they are legal to keep, many anglers are encouraging other anglers to release them.[/quote]

On KSL.com on 1/18 Flaming Gorge fisheries biologist Ryan Mosley was quoted as saying: "...unbeknownst to many anglers, the smaller lake trout are quite tasty. They’re one of my favorite fish to eat. In Flaming Gorge, they're a close second to kokanee salmon on the taste scale.”
https://static.ksl.com/?sid=42914232&nid...e-dwr-says

I guess my question to everyone is what is considered a "larger" laker vs. a "smaller" one? And isn't taste a subjective thing?

I have personally kept lake trout in the 5-7 pound range that tasted amazing. Prepared and cooked on the grill I have had dinner guests say it was the best fish they've ever had and they love not having to pick out tiny bones. Is 5-7lbs still a "smaller" lake trout that Mosley was talking about, or is that getting into the "larger" bad tasting range that we're all supposed to throw back?

Are lake trout only a close second to kokanee in taste when we want to thin them from a lake but become nasty and disgusting when we want to boost their size/numbers in a fishery?
[signature]
[quote torowy]What if I don't have a dip net, could I catch cisco under a bobber or something?

What do people catch them on through the ice?[/quote]

[#0000FF]When they are schooled up in in the passion of spawning they strike a lot of things...more out of curiosity or anger than hunger I suppose. I know folks who score well on them with small jigs, flies or spinners...while they swarm in the shallows. Even heard tell of catching them with fly flinging gear and bright little flies. But it is usually so cold that ice in the guides could be a problem.

My best fishing through the ice came over the rock pile one year...in about 50 feet of water. I was jigging a 3/8 oz. lead casting spoon...white with red spots...one spot or 5-spot (see pics). I think the key was the red treble hook. They mobbed it. And I caught ciscos, Bear Lake whitefish, a couple of larger Bonneville whitefish and a couple of nice cutts...all on the white with red spots and a treble hook.

Some of the other folks who use the various lures I make report that sometimes color does not seem to make much difference. If you get your offerings in amongst the crazed little critters you can easily snag them...and it is legal. But when I was dunking those white/red jigs...with the red treble...I did not even have to "jig" them. I could prop my rod on a holder and just watch the rod tip vibrating as the little rascals assaulted my lure. And every once in a while it would pull down and I would reel up a suicidal cisco that had put a lip lock on the red hook.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great info!
[signature]