Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making A Floating Slide Rig!
Making A Floating Slide Rig!

For years anglers have tried getting their baits casted farther from shore to better ensure the chances of bigger fish & better hook-ups. One proven technique has been casting hooking lead sinkers far from shore. Aerodynamics of no air resistance of bait attachments means the cast goes much farther. Hooks and/or snags are either employed from the lead weight or is slid down the line to secure the weight to the bottom.

This system works. But it can be expensive if "bankrupt". If currents/surge or pile-ups cause multiple building of these sliding rigs & it gets caught on the reef or breaks from a strike, it can get very expensive. I feel sometimes the surface is ideal if the area targeted is 10ft or less. Multiple surface slides could be deployed with less of a chance of pile-ups. Also if using bottom weighted slides a surface slide can be added to that mix as well.

Pros & Cons of this system?

Cons-
Certain benthic species might be overlooked (ie Ray, Flounders, etc).

Very rough choppy surface conditions aren't good for short leader lines as the line may spin into the air & tangle with the mainline.

Pros-

Less chances of bankrupts due to less influences caused by waves, surge & currents.

Save money on buying lead (and weighted slides).

Great for shallow reef species (like Bonefish, Trevally, Threadfins, etc).

Fish will tire out faster fighting the buoyancy of the float. Also certain species like Parrots & Goats may not hide in the reef structures as the floats will turn their heads upwards.

Less hook tangles with the reef/bottom. Again save money.

Areas with crabs means less bait interaction. Bait last longer.

Slide will work on braid mainline if you wet it first. Great advantage. Means more yardage for your real.

Best advantage-less chance of bottom bankrupts. You can view the units on the surface, no chance of snagging the reef. You can even attach chemical light sticks for nocturnal usage.

Since no units are made, we need to manufacture our own. I'm sure this video might initiate some companies to mimic what i started. Be safe out there and tight lines everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXyZbrTP67g
[signature]