Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake & surrounding waters ice conditions 2/15/2017
Bear Lake Fishing Report:

As of Wednesday 2/15/2017, the lake is still mostly ice covered, but there is no safe ice for ice fishing, nor open water for boat fishing. The ice was fractured by the wind last week and cold, calm weather this week has not moved any ice off the lake, in fact, it is adding ice right now. There is NO ACCESS for fishing (ice, boat or shore) on Bear Lake at this time. Boats cannot be launched since the State Park marina since it is frozen and there is ice stacked up along the east shore or the lake is still frozen in many areas. We will update the report next on February 26th.

Once the lake is clear of ice fishing should be good for Cutthroat Trout and Lake Trout by both jigging and trolling. Concentrate your efforts off rockpile, 2nd Point, and the Utah State Park Marina. Best fishing will be with ¾ to 1 ounce tube jigs tipped with Cisco or Sucker meat right on the bottom. If you decide to troll, use minnow-type lures off of downrigger. Fish can be found at any depth at this time of the year

Garden City Community Fishery Pond
The pond is frozen, but ice conditions can be variable right now due to a lot of run-off that happened last week. Check ice conditions with a spud bar before venturing onto to the ice. Fishing should be good for Rainbow Trout using small ice flies with a Gulp maggot or wax worm.

Laketown Reservoir
Laketown Reservoir is totally frozen and the only access is by snowmobile, cross country skis or snowshoes. Use small jigs or ice flies tipped with a wax worm or meal worm.
[signature]
Thanks for the update. As much as I hate to see the ice go I am looking forward to trolling the lake again.
[signature]
Thanks Scott, I didn't see this post but was sure wondering what to expect this weekend... Guess with the storm and if it didn't get cold enough to return safe ice it might be a snowmobile weekend... Thanks J
[signature]
Thanks for the update!
[signature]