Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Ramp Etiquette
The BFT'ers I know, already practice these rules, and even more. Just thought I would post this for maybe some of our new boat owners. We aren't fishing any tournaments as expressed in this link, but the etiquette is still good sense.

[url "http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1744765-8-unwritten-rules-of-boat-ramp-etiquette?s=573"]http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1744765-8-unwritten-rules-of-boat-ramp-etiquette?s=573[/url]
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[quote Tin-Can]The BFT'ers I know, already practice these rules, and even more. Just thought I would post this for maybe some of our new boat owners. We aren't fishing any tournaments as expressed in this link, but the etiquette is still good sense.

[url "http://www.scout.com/...ramp-etiquette?s=573[/quote"]http://www.scout.com/...ramp-etiquette?s=573[/quote[/url]]

Some very good reminders, I pull to the side and get our boat to where all I need to do is undo the winch hook and emergency chain just before backing into the water.
[signature]
good reminders, I cant for the life of me figure out why people leave their boat trailers in the water more than absolutely necessary, the less your wheel bearings are submerged the less chance of water getting in, when launching alone it does take a little time, but when I launch with two people my trailer goes in long enough to back the boat off, and when retrieving the boat, the driver stops at the waters edge until I'm only about 50 to 100 feet from the trailer then backs in far enough to load, so far (knock on wood) I have not had a bearing failure, a little backing practice in an empty parking lot could help could speed things up at the ramp also, I watched some pwc guy back up until his trailer was almost jackknifed then he would get out and drag it straight then back up until it went sideways again, would have been more entertaining if I wasn't getting devoured by mosquitos waiting..
[signature]
The one that makes me most frustated:
"1. Move to the side if you’re not ready"
I have lost count of how many times, at Strawberry, I have waited for someone to load items from their tow vehicle to their boat while parked on the ramp.[mad] To make matters even worse oftentimes they are in no hurry to get everything loaded.
[signature]
Don't forget loud music and loud trucks just to hear them be loud when your trying to talk to anyone. its amazing how people are unaware of don't care about what they are doing affects other people.[mad]
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Don't forget about the guy that is already backed in to the water, the sun is not up yet, you are trying to back down the ramp, and he still has his brights on.
[signature]
hmmm....

Reading that list, and reading some of the replies makes me think that there should be a second list written specifically for the "experienced" boaters.

#1 on that list should be: Patience.

Have patience with those people who may not have the same experience level as yourself.

There is nothing worse than a bunch of know-it-alls at the boat ramp getting worked up over everyone else that is too slow for them.

A little exercise of patience at the boat ramp can make everyone's experience a little bit better.
[signature]
Seems like I've seen many divorces start at the boat ramp.
There is nothing worse than the pressure that builds up trying to load up a boat at the ramp with lots of people staring. Usually I lend a helping hand if I can.
[signature]
[quote PBH]hmmm....

Reading that list, and reading some of the replies makes me think that there should be a second list written specifically for the "experienced" boaters.

Have patience with those people who may not have the same experience level as yourself.

There is nothing worse than a bunch of know-it-alls at the boat ramp getting worked up over everyone else that is too slow for them.

A little exercise of patience at the boat ramp can make everyone's experience a little bit better.[/quote]

You must be one of the inexperienced??? ROFLOL

I have offered to back up others boats for them. Seems pretty offensive to me when they pull in with $75,000 of boat, two coolers of what I assume is liquid brains, and won't even accept help. Seems like the more money they tow the less respect they have for the rest of the people waiting.

Patience is a virtue, so is respect, and when it doesn't go both ways it "ain't pretty".
[signature]
[quote PBH]hmmm....

A little exercise of patience at the boat ramp can make everyone's experience a little bit better.[/quote]

couldn't agree more! I'm a first time "real" boat owner and I have everything ready before driving down the launch, that's just proper etiquette but what makes me the most nervous are all the impatient boaters. Especially loading, I feel so rushed by others. Not too mention how tough it can be when there is wind and some chop involved.
[signature]
That's cuz its daddy's money they're towing!! Honestly I could chill at the ramp all day and laugh my ass off although there are times I wish I had my AK!!
[signature]
two things i hate to hear at the ramp. well it started right up two years ago . then the one that strikes fear in all of us.DID YOU PUT THE PLUG IN???
[signature]
Lol!!!! The scary truth!!
[signature]
Even better:

A first time boat owner calls the dealer reporting it doesn't have anywhere near the described speed. The sales person, concerned that he doesn't want his reputation tarnished, comes right away and meets him at the dock with a mechanic prepared to solve any engine performance problem. The engine seems fine, but the boat only goes very slow and doesn't turn nor handle right, so they decide to take it to the shop. The new owner backs up his truck to the water edge on the ramp. The salesman driving the sluggish boat says: "Where's the trailer?"
[signature]
I must be missing out on all the funny stuff, but we usually hit Willard before and after the power squadron is on the water, and the gorge is mostly fisherman who are usually pretty with it.
[signature]
Last season at Lincoln Beach after launching my I attempted to open the drivers door to finish the launching my boat; some Jakelegg pulled down the ramp and kept me from opening my door. I had turned off my headlights off to be polite. My parking lights were on. Said he didn' see me! P.S It wasn't BLK!
[signature]
If you don't get a giggle out of the boat ramp idiots then yes, yes you are missing something....or wait are you one of them???
[signature]
Just some thoughts from my perspective, Yes I do have a boat actually two. No I dont know how to launch and retrieve worth a darn when alone. I try real hard to get it down but so far still suck IMO.

Having to listen to the snide remarks and down right rudeness of folks in the know does not help one bit. I always offer to lend a hand to folks who are struggling with things on the ramp.
Now that I am retired I plan to go to the ramp on some weekdays to practice alone without the peanut gallery.

I back down just fine ( former truck driver ) the rest of the stuff is what I struggle with . Except the plug ! So far I havent forgotten the plug!

Frustrating at times considering that my cabin cruiser is a whole whooping 14'6" and the other is smaller.

Have some mercy on the new guys.
[signature]
Some times you see those problems when you come back from fishing. I've seen a bunch at Willard but there are plenty of other lakes where you see those user errors. I came back in from fishing once and saw a guy standing on the hood of his truck, I guess he forgot to put the emergency brake on and hopped out, it fell out of gear and into the water it went. Then another time when I came into the docks, there was a boat 3/4 underwater, no one was around it, so I figured the guy forgot to put his plug in and when he went to park his truck the boat sank[crazy].
[signature]
I hate to say this because the government already has too much control of our freedoms as it is, but, I would support a no-cost boat operators certification for no other reason than ramp etiquette.
As fisherman we have already exhibited a higher level of patience than most people, it is the blatant disregard of common courtesy and good manners that plug up the ramps.
I boat mostly on my own and will go out of my way to help anyone on the ramp that needs it.
My patience is exhausted for the simple infractions: Multiple family loadings at waters edge, bright truck lights at night, loud stereos, waters skiers ignoring the proximity law, other people catching more walleye than me(j/k),etc.
I believe these are all things the certification could remedy, heck, how can it hurt?
Maybe attach it to the mussel cert for now as an educational tool?
Where else can a punk kid borrow daddys 70k truck, hook it up to daddys 100k surf boat, and take it out on the lake for the day with zero boating education.
America is the greatest country in the world!
[signature]