Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tracker Boats
First time poster long timer user. I am in the process of shopping for a new fishing boat. I am currently looking at a Tracker WT 20 combo. For the price it looks like an awesome deal. But I have read a lot of reviews on Tracker boats and it seems like for ever good review there are 5 bad reviews. What is everyone's take on Tracker?
[signature]
I bought a new 2001 17ft. Tracker with at 75 hp motor. It has deep sides, which I like cuz I frequently fish with kids in my boat. The boat has served me well but I have to say that whoever made it was in a big hurry. Many of the screws and rivits have worked loose over time and the boat had a leak the first time I used it that had to be repaired by the dealer. I'm okay with my Tracker but if I were looking for a new one I'd go another direction.

That said, the Tracker line has probably improved considerably since my purchase 16 years ago.

Anyhow, that's my take on Tracker.

BLK
[signature]
I like mine but they cut corners so they could cut the cost.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I bought a new Tracker Targa DeepV16 in 2005 at the boat show. I ran that boat until last year and sold it this Spring. It came with a 75 Merc OptiMax and had over 900 hours on it when I sold it. I never had to have anything repaired on the boat and only had to replace on drive belt and 3 spark plugs in those 11 years. I honestly don’t think you can buy a better boat for the money. You CAN buy a better boat; just not for the same price as a Tracker. All other boats of similar or better quality cost more than a Tracker. My buddy bought a 20 ft Tracker last year at nearly $45,000. My new boat is a ThunderJet that prices out at almost $60,000 and is only 18.5 ft long.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000] [/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I would recommend to you very strongly that if you are getting any boat primarily for fishing, DO NOT GET A CARPETED INTERIOR. My new ride has a vinyl floor and the inside of the side walls is rino covered. And I have a built in hose system to pump lake water and hose it all off when fish blood and guts get plastered on the inside of the boat – and it ALWAYS does.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I would also highly recommend that you get a motor equal to the max hp rating. You will almost always regret not doing so from day 1. And any boat that has a max under 100hp can be trolled successfully using a trolling plate on the drive motor. That’s all I ever used on my old Tracker 75 Merc and it would troll as slow as 0.7 mph. My new ride has a 9.9 kicker because the 150 will not do that.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]There are lots of good boats out there and the Tracker line offers good quality at a very reasonable price. I have no problem recommending Tracker boats to anybody that is cost conscience. If properly maintained and cared for, they will give you many years of service.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Well said Bob... can't dispute anything you said about the Tracker.

Best advise was to avoid carpeted floors if your use is primarily for fishing. Mine is so encrusted with cat slime that it takes a real thorough scrubbing to keep it from becoming a health risk. I expect my Tracker to outlast me. My over all maintenance has always been up to date and I have had no major problems with mine. Didn't meat to be disparaging toward Tracker... just offered an honest opinion.

The bite on, let's go.

BLK
[signature]
Three years ago I bought a 2003 16 foot Tracker. It would have been the perfect boat for my needs, but it was way under powered and wouldn't get up on plane with the 40 HP Mercury on it. It was rated for up to a 90 HP motor. I looked into re-powering it but that was way to expensive.

I would pull the drain plug at the end of a long day of fishing, and I never had a drop of water come out.

Great boat, just under powered, so consider the motor HP before you buy.

I should add that I sold the boat, and made sure that the buyer knew about the under power issue. He had owned several boats and figured it was under powered, and his plan was to re-power it.
[signature]
You get what you pay for.
Tracker had some quality control issues and was famous for selling a boat/motor combo for a killer price. Problem was the outboard was way to small for our elevation.
You lose appx. 3-4% of an engines power for every 1k of elevation above sea level, unless it is supercharged of course.
Any boat that runs great at sea level will barely perform at Strawberry for example.
My point is, avoid any boat with too small of motor.
Do yourself a favor and test drive at least 3 or 4 brands of boats before you purchase.
I don't think any experienced boat owner would dispute this advice.
[signature]
I bought the Targa WT18 (about 19' 4") with the 150 hp Merc 4-stroke 3 years ago, and haven't regretted it -- it's been a great boat for me. I added the 9.9 hp Merc 4-stroke kicker, and it makes a nice trolling outfit. My only regret was buying it from Utah Marine in Orem (now in Springville) instead of Fred's. Fred's treats me very well and I always make the long drive up there now from American Fork area. I haven't even seen the new WT20's yet, but they're probably an improvement, with the dual axle trailer etc. Like others have said, you can pay a lot more money and get a better boat, but my bottom line was around $30,000 without the kicker, and I was happy with that.
[signature]
Have you considered a used Lund?
[signature]
just adding my own comments to some points previously made:

A) carpet. I like my carpet. It is "snap in", and easily removed to hose off and dry if necessary. I am also very careful with fish in the boat. They either go straight in the live well (with no water -- it's just a big cooler!) or I'll lay them in the splash well to unhook. I also keep towels and a sponge for any cleanup issues. My carpet is in good shape. And it's nice and comfy. I really enjoy fishing without shoes on.

B) engine power. I personally don't include engine power / performance / reliability on the boat manufacturer. That's not to say that a manufacturer should not match the HP of the engine to the size of the boat -- they certainly should. But it's up to the buyer to make sure that they have enough power to do what they intend. I know my 150hp 4-stroke is only going to push my boat at 40mph. That's fine with me. 60mph would sure be fun, but 40 works out fine. Know what the engine performance is prior to buying.

I don't know what all comes with that Tracker WT20. It looks pretty nice. The website shows a $33,000 price tag. So, you have to consider what goodies come with it, and what they are going to cost. Sonar, radios, etc.
Using Tracker's boat builder, I configured that same WT20 and added a handful of things I have in my boat, and the price has gone up to over $35k. That still doesn't include multiple sonars (console and bow), trolling motor, and anything else you might want. So, that's just pushed the price of that Tracker to more than what I bought my Ranger 1850LS.

when I bought my boat, I was looking at Crestliner. By the time I had all the options that I wanted added to the boat, I had a price tag equivalent to a Ranger. I walked out the proud owner of a Ranger. I've never questioned that decision.
[signature]
I wanted a Lund but after I woke up from my sticker shock coma I bought a used 2005 Tracker Pro-V16 with 50 horse Merc from a private seller in 2010 for $10K and have had no problems at all until this year. I have no power to the foot (trim) or ignition. All fuses are good and I completely redid the wire terminals at the battery and made sure the posts were shiny. Headed to Fred's soon.
Having said that, I love my Tracker and it has never leaked so much as a drop.
I agree with the "carpet is a bad idea" as mine is in pretty tattered condition.
[signature]
I have been looking on KSL and there are few and far between for the setup I am looking for. I looked at some new Lund's and to get the same setup I am getting with a Tacker it is about $20k more. [reply][/reply]
[signature]
Thanks everyone for the advice. Fred's Marine is offering $4,000 in rebates right now trough Tracker. So it is too good to pass up. I made sure to get the 200 hp motor on the boat. I am also having them install a kicker motor So with all of that I will be out the door for around $35k. I have looked at a lot of the other aluminum fishing boats and for the price I cant come close to what Tracker is offering.
[signature]
I'm just curious:

does that $35k include a bow mount electric trolling motor and any sonars?
[signature]
Yes it come with a Lowrance fish finder hook 4X. Also Minn-Kota power drive 70 trolling motor. It also come with a 3 bank battery charger.
[signature]
sounds like you'll have a really nice rig!
[signature]
Bob, I bought a new Tracker in 2011. Like your boat mine has given me great service. I was wondering what dealer you purchased your ThunderJet from? And what model? Zugbug
[signature]
Trackers are good all around fishing boats. Simple regular maintenance will keep them running for many years. Fred's Marine is a reliable dealer in my experience. Even though my boat is a small 14 ft. Lund, I get all of my parts and pieces from Fred's.
IMHO, aluminum hull boats in the 14 to 18 foot length range made by Tracker, Lund, Crestliner, SmokerCraft, Alumacraft, and many others are all pretty equal in their performance and abilities. What sets them apart is the quality of service the individual dealerships provide, and how the individual owner rigs them out and cares for them. I've seen almost brand new boats that look like they were towed out of a scrap yard, and 20 year old boats that were obviously well cared for. I've had my little Lund for 10 years now. Has a few dings that are inevitable, but it's well set up inside, reliable, no leaks, and takes me out and brings me back every time. I think you will get many good years and lots of enjoyment out of your new Tracker.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
When you do invest in a larger aluminum boat make sure you add some trim tabs to it. The tabs will help keep the bow in the water during the rough water times you will experience. Had I known this, I would have never replaced my aluminum boat for a glass one.
[signature]