Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannon vs Scotty downrigger
Im getting ready to buy some new downriggers for my boat and wanted everyone's opinion. I am debating between Scotty and Cannon downrigger. On my old boat I had some Cannon lake troll downriggers and I was over all happy with them. I was just curious if I should stay with Cannon or go with Scotty.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I just switched from Cannon Mag 10STX to Scotty 1106. Two things I like about the Scotty over the Cannon is the fact that I can lift the beam straight up and over to bring the ball/weight directly to the boat making it easier to reattach the release clip to the fishing line. I also think the gravity fall of the weight with Scotty vs. the electrical fall of the weight of the Cannon is an advantage with regard to current draw on your boat battery system.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]The Scotty is adjustable for where the ball/weight stops on retrieve where the Cannon will only stop when the ball/weight breaks the water surface.[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I used Cannon Mag 5ST's on my old boat for 11 years and have fished with Scottys on a friends boat for 5 years. Both are good products and will get the job done.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
We have two Digi Troll Cannon downriggers and two Scotty electric downriggers. Hands down like our Digi Troll downriggers much better!!! The two things the set Cannon apart from Scotty is how smooth the ball can be brought up and then bottom tracking is amazing!!!! The only reason we have two Scotty's is the previous owner of the boat sold them with the boat and we already had our Cannon's from our old boat. We use our Cannon's for the deep lines and the Scotty's for the shallower depths. [fishin]
[signature]
Scotty! Hands down used by more guides in the Pacific Northwest, Canada and Alaska then any other rigger. Tried, proven and bullet proof. You wont regret buying the them. Ive fished over the years with every brand of down rigger out there. Scotty out performs them all.
[signature]
I have 2 Cannon mag 10's and one Scotty on my boat. I like the Scotty better.
[signature]
Two much plastic on the big old flat top Scotties I prefer the Cannons.[cool]
[signature]
Asking this question is just like asking what truck is better Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. You'll get a different answer from everyone. Personally I've used Penn, Scotty and Canon. I like the Canon riggers. They have a faster retrieve rate (both the manual and electrics) at least the models I used. All the companies have many models and you can spend whatever you want and get whatever options and other whistles and bells you want. The bottom line is they are all good, it just depends on your taste and what you want. Scottys are popular out along the Northwest coast, but Canons rule the Great Lakes and east coast. Look for the options YOU want rather than relying on other's experience.
[signature]
[quote muirco]We have two Digi Troll Cannon downriggers and two Scotty electric downriggers. Hands down like our Digi Troll downriggers much better!!! [fishin][/quote]

I have never had a scotty so cant say
but I like my cannons
I have one Digi Troll, and I like it but I don't like the bottom track
when fishing for lakers on the bottom. one thing is it is moving all the time and you cant see when you have a bit I catch a lot more lakers when not using bottom track
[signature]
Everyone is going to have their own opinions for sure. You need to buy what you think will be the best for you. I love the bottom tracking for Lakers and he doesn't, so it is all preference. Wish you well in picking out downriggers! [fishon]
[signature]