Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traveling with Trolling motor
I just added a small 4 stroke trolling motor to the boat. Im curious, do you folks always take it off when traveling, or just leave in on the back of the boat. If left on,
then in the up locked position ?

Sounds like kind of an odd question, but..... [crazy]
[signature]
if you have ground clearance I would leave it down and tie it to the boat, best is a transom saver to stabilize it over the bumps.
[signature]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I know Old_Coot uses a transom saver but IMO it depends on the length of your trolling motor and how close to the ground it sits, when down. I travel with my kicker motor down.
[signature]
Both of the above ways are good. You just do not want that motor bouncing on the transom. The transom saver stops this if you need to have the motor tilted up for clearance
[signature]
On a bigger boat with a remote troll plate that dissipates the stress and weight more evenly across the transom, does the transom saver make as much of a difference?
[signature]
If you decide to transport it in your truck remember that those 4 stroke motors usually should only be transported on one side. Otherwise you'll end up with a mess of oil everywhere and no oil left in the motor.
[signature]
always use a transom saver especially if you have a remote troll set up the bouncing will damage the remote troll
[signature]
Not a trolling motor, but it a main motor that I troll with. Just have the one 15 HP Merc on my 14' Lund. It is thru bolted to the transom, so couldn't take it off even if I was of a mind to. Before I get on the road I make sure it is turned all the way to one side, straight up and down, then strap it from the grab handle under the tiller over the transom and under the boat hull to the back trailer cross member. Been towing it that way almost 11 years, never had a problem. The skeg is about 20 inches above the ground when it's stowed like that, and since the lower end isn't sticking out behind the trailer, there really isn't any bounce and much less chance of some moron pulling up too close and bending up the prop.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
strapping a motor to the trailer doesn't do the job of a transom saver because you can't stop the forward pressure on the transom . so your experience would probably be the same with out the straps .
[signature]
I leave my kicker motor on the boat, in the down position. I then use a ratchet strap that goes around the shaft of the kicker and attach it to a U-bolt on my boat's transom. This keeps it from bouncing around on bumps and takes the stress off the transom. I also have a plate on my transom where the kicker is mounted to further dissipate any stress to the transom. Been doing it this way for 20+ years and never had a problem. I use a motor-toter (transom saver) to prop up my main motor when towing the boat since there is no clearance between the skeg and the pavement.
[signature]
I always took mine off for fear of theft if I stop somewhere. However, if you keep it on, always either store it down or use a transom saver. It's not only the bounce, but the leverage the bounce gets. Think of it this way - to bust a stuck lug nut loose you need a long breaker bar. The length gives you leverage and it takes less pressure to bust it loose. The same thing applies. The length of the troller sticking out applies more leverage, meaning it takes less pressure on the end of the troller to bend or break your transom. Put your trolling motor down and you can likely push as hard as you can on it and you won't damage your transom. Stick it up and put your weight on the end of it and you can easily have a problem.
Enough physics, let's go fishing!
[signature]