Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$1000 Rainbow
One of the guys in our group caught a tagged rainbow at the ice fishing derby on Sulphur Creek this weekend. From what we were told, the thousand-bucks for this fish was sponsored by none other than Hooked Fishing Tackle! That was one excited young man!
Thanks HFT
<'{{{{{><
[signature]
Now that is great! Just think how many ice rods he could get with that!
[signature]
That is awesome-way to go HFT?

HCD
[signature]
WOW! That's great! I wish that was me.....that would pay for a few months fishing expenses![Wink] How was the fishing overall? How was the Derby overall?

Thanks,

FM
[signature]
Wow, that is awesome, is the $1000.00 cash or stuff from the store?
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 2] Congradulations you guys, that is the first time that I have ever heard of anyone catching a fish up there during that Derby. Way to go.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
They handed him a check, and channel 4 was up there taking his picture and all. From what we had heard at the time we left, 3 tagged fish had been caught over the 2 days. One was worth $2000, the other 2 were a grand each. No one has ever caught the BIG GUY in the 10 years they've had the derby.
Wouldn't 25-G's be something to bring home?!?
[Wink]We should all be so lucky!
[signature]
fantastic, i bet he will be going to hooked real soon. that's more exposure for hft. right on
[signature]
Glad to here it was people I know.

What lures worked well at the tournement? How was the success rate this year?
[signature]
That was quite varied. We caught fish both days; more Saturday than Sunday. But size was the issue. So many cutts between 8" - 13" it was amazing. The rainbows sure had some extra meat on their bones. And the suckers are over-running that place. Once you get into them, you're better off to move. In our group, 25 or so a man was average. Looking and hoping for the bigger fish was the luck of the draw.
As far as lures and bait goes, wax worms or a piece of nightcrawler was best to tip with. And the smaller the better for jigs and grubs. Glo-in-the-dark was excellent early and late in the day. And mid-day, a piece of plastic helped. Whatta Crickets was good for me ... in green. But most importantly was the horizontal presentation. Verticle hanging tear-drop jigs did NOTHING for me. Once I went to a horizontal dropper, along with my horizontal jig below, I began to pick up fish on both. But if you missed a hit and had your jig pulled down, you could just about forget having other action until you straightened it out again.
[signature]