Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snow boots self destruct..
Has anyone ever had a pair of snow boots fall apart after the 6th season.. Mine just did.. check these out.. (see pics)
Now looking for a new pair.. looking for suggestions.. What is a good boot for under $100.00.. must be water proof.. have good traction.. and be very warm.
[signature]
Under a $100 is going to get you every time. I’ve owned a pair of Sorels for 25 years and they’re still holding up strong. They were $100 back then and worth every penny. I just bought a new pair of Baffin boots for kicks and giggles two years ago and they’re hold up well also. My advice is you get what you pay for. Bonus: they’re super warm.
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
I hate to say this, but under $100 isn't going to get you what I consider warm. I have the cabelas trans Alaska III pac boots and they are warm! [fishon]
[signature]
Wondered about those Kamiks, guess now I know. Out of curiosity, did you keep them out of sunlight? That rubber looks brittle, was just wondering if maybe it got a lot of direct sun.

I don't think I've ever purchased a pair of boots that didn't have an original price of more than $200. Of course they're always on sale when I get em. [Wink]
[signature]
Baffin is the way to go. Even better than Sorel. Kamik feels awful when walking, almost painful.
[signature]
Yes they were stored in my closet when not in use.. in 6 years they were only used maybe 30 times..
I won't be getting that brand again.. ha ha
Think I will do to Sportsmans this week and try on some boots ..
Looks like I need to shell out $150 to $200..
Thanks for all the advice everyone.😉
[signature]
Have you looked into surplus military "Mickey Mouse" boots? May be hard to find, but they fill all your squares.
[signature]
I have a problem with cold feet. I got these boots a few years ago and they keep my feet warm and dry. I love these boots.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...?a=1502133

edited for linking the wrong boot.
[signature]
[quote toadly]Has anyone ever had a pair of snow boots fall apart after the 6th season.. Mine just did.. check these out.. (see pics)
Now looking for a new pair.. looking for suggestions.. What is a good boot for under $100.00.. must be water proof.. have good traction.. and be very warm.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]#1 - I've tried Sorels, Baffin, and Military 'Bunny Boots' over the last 48 years. IMHO, there absolutely isn't a warmer boot on the market - for ice fishing - than the military Bunny Boots. Period. They are available from dozens of different sources and some of them are foreign knock-offs, so beware. The 'real' military Bunny Boots can be had for well under $100 and my last pair lasted almost 30 years. The black version is rated to -20 and the white version is rated to -60. The pair I had were white.
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]#2 - Almost any brand/type of winter boot will have decent traction in snow. On ice, NONE of them are decent - unless they have metal studs built into the soles. And the coil spring cleats are worse than useless. I use the Korker Apex that has very aggressive, stainless steel cleats and does a fantastic job of 'grabbing' the ice.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]#3 - Bunny Boots are 100% waterproof from top to bottom.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]You can pay hundreds of dollars for very good winter boots; and they are probably worth the price. But a good pair of 'Bunny Boots' are every bit as good keeping your feet warm and cost a fraction of the high end boots.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]And the last time I checked, Smith & Edwards carries the real US military version of the Bunny Boot at a price under $100. Some are brand new and others have been issued and worn by the troops and prices vary for the used ones.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks, Bob. I called them Mickey Mouse boots but they are the same as Bunny Boots.
[signature]
I got a pair of baffin boots at smith and edwards that were just under $100. They are quite warm and waterproof. They are plain black and have a set of shoelaces on the top to seal them up. This was at smith and edwards location near Ogden.
Gabe
[signature]
[quote Freakyfisherman]I got a pair of baffin boots at smith and edwards that were just under $100. They are quite warm and waterproof. They are plain black and have a set of shoelaces on the top to seal them up. This was at smith and edwards location near Ogden.
Gabe[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Same here Gabe - two seasons ago when the Bunny Boots gave up the ghost. I'm now ready to go back to the Bunny Boots if anybody is interested in a slightly used pair of Baffins. Hint - Hint - hint. [/size][/#800000][/font][cool]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
The black ones are Mickey Mouse boots and the white ones are Bunny Boots.
[signature]
Those "Bunny Boots" the white ones, are they the ones that had some kind of valve (like a car tire) so they could be pressurized ? I have seen them in photos and at a distance, but was never stationed anywhere that was considered cold enough to get them issued. Did have several pairs of Mukluks. They are fairly warm, but not water proof up past the rubber sole and sides and they are not the most comfortable to walk in.
I still have one pair purchased at Smith & Edwards several years ago that I use in early winter (before a freeze) or early spring (after first thaw) just to keep my feet warm on the boat. They work ok while bank fishing at the river or local ponds also.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The air valve had one purpose, and one purpose only. It was opened when the wearer was going airborne. They would be opened to equalize the pressure variances experienced in flight. They should NOT used to inflate the boot - ever.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I was issued Mukluks in Alaska where the temps got down to - 52 degrees F the year I was up at King Salmon. I wore them while ice fishing in - 20 degree temps on several occasions and my feet never got cold. You are correct that they are NOT waterproof in the least. However, at - 20, we didn't experience a lot of liquid water. [Wink]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. 12 years ago I paid $30 for a pair of Ranger brand boots at Cal Ranch. Feet stay warm and dry even with over use and abuse. I use them ice fishing, big game and small game hunting. Now if I could find a pair of insulated bibs that hold up as well as my boots.
[signature]
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Old posts, but these are the boots I use a lot and they are still in great condition. I also like the secure ankle support I get for the other than ice fishing seasons to walk the rocky perimeter of reservoirs with such confidence that I can be looking out and casting instead of watching for careful foot placement.

Here are the links to my old posts:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...pi;#842127

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...i;#1024397

Ronald Smile
I have these in size 10r new selling them for 60
[signature]
I have a pair of Lacrosse boots with the rubber bottom, like your picture but all black. They are at least 20 years old. I only use them for ice fishing and store them in my sled when not in use. Very Warm! good traction.
[signature]
I wear Muck boots a little more that $100 but worth looking into
[signature]