Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help ! Minkota Powerdrive
Went out fishing this morning; after a short time I had no steering, the thrust was still there. Any one out there that might know what the problem might be? Sure could use some help.
[signature]
Sounds like a circuit board issue. Common issue. Before getting a new one call Minn Kota and try troubleshooting it with them. tel:+1-800-227-6433
[signature]
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
Hey Richard, are you using a foot control to steer it or is it a hand held wireless device.
[signature]
If using a foot control pull the plug apart and give it a cleaning. I've had corosion problems before at that spot.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
It's a wireless remote

rj
[signature]
Was it making grinding noise before it stopped I had to replace the steering control box on my Terrova because it would not turn to the right and was making grinding noise before it quite. The part cost me $117 new on eBay and was easy to install.
[signature]
I would still check any spots that have plug connections.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]You might want to give these folks (Minn Kota Service Center) a call for help in diagnosis/repair:
Backwater Performance LLC [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]883 N Industrial Park RD[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]OREM, UT 84057[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]385-695-3807[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
what kind of Minkota do you have they make a lot what year is it?

it should have came with a foot peddle. try that

I have fixed them before, I take it that when you change speeds that part is OK.
Make sure you have good voltage at the motor some switch's and plugs go bad also barkers

you can buy parts here

https://www.fish307.com/minn-kota-trolli...r-parts-1/

they have all the wiring schematic you will need

also I think there is some places in SLC that will work on it.
but if it is old may be cheaper to buy a new one.
[signature]
[quote liketrolling]what kind of Minkota do you have they make a lot what year is it?

it should have came with a foot peddle.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Robert,[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]His subject line indicates it is a PowerDrive Model (I have the PowerDrive Model on my boat). He doesn't say if it is a 12v or 24v Model. Mines a 24v. He also stated he has a remote for it which would indicate that it does NOT come with a foot pedal - mine didn't come with one and the Minn Kota doesn't show a foot pedal on the iPilot GPS units on their website.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]
[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]However, he didn't say how old it was, so maybe it did come with a pedal if its an older model. I still recommend a trip to Backwater Performance in SLC.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
this one here comes with a foot control and a remote

Minn Kota PowerDrive V2 - Detailed Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HhIyxx5Gpo

I have had a Minn Kota Terrova it came with both

now I have the new Minn Kota Ulterra and it comes with both

I leave the foot peddle home
I control it with the remote are fishfinder are my phone

with the terrova one time the remote did not work but the foot peddle did
[signature]
Is this the one you bought last year? If so, I wonder if it is covered under the warranty[:/], might be worth giving them a call, where Dubob recommended. The only time I had that issue, I was using the foot control and the problem was caused by corrosion. As boat guy said, that could still be the issue with the circuit board.
[signature]
Steering motor. Mine go out every 3-4 seasons. I've been replacing them since the late 1990's, on nearly every series of bow-mount Minn Kotas that have ever existed. The older white tops, power drives, and i-pilots. If your remote is working at all, then its the steering motor. You need to test with your spare remote. NO spare remote for a Minn Kota? Big mistake. I carry three on the boat for mine, and keep another spare or two at the house. I wear them out seasonally. Borrow or find another remote or foot pedal. (Its a pedal, not something that's peddled!) That will tell you if its the remote/pedal or the steering motor.
[signature]
Thanks for all suggestions and directions I appreciate them.
[signature]
[quote Tarponjim](Its a pedal, not something that's peddled!)[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Good catch - I must have been asleep when I made my earlier comments. All fixed now. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah