Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard motor Question
I bought a 1974 4 HP Johnson Seahorse for my toon and as I was wondering what fuel mixture I should run. Online I found that I should run a 50-1 mixture but a friend of mine said that because it has Babbitt bearings I should run it at 40-1. Does anyone have any insite on this?
[signature]
I would go with the 40:1 on that motor. Its old (Babbit bearings notwithstanding) and better to run it rich than too lean. Your friend is right by the way. You can expect to oil fouled plugs more often though - amoung other things, but those are better than what happens to an under lubed engine. I have an old Yamaha and an even older Evinrude that I am currently (this week) changing water pumps and impellers on Keep em lubed and greased so they are happy in their old age.
[signature]
I have a Johnson 4 hp sea horse kicker on my trophy. The cover has a sticker that says 100 to 1.
I call it the little sea horse that could.... it purrs like a kitty all day long and holds a constant steady speed. Doesn't foul the plugs either.
[signature]
[quote fish_fanatic]. . . a friend of mine said that because it has Babbitt bearings I should run it at 40-1.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Does your friend work for OMC (Johnson) or as a licensed/trained mechanic for a reputable marine equipment repair center? If not, I would HIGHLY recommend you call OMC and ask them for the proper ratio for that motor.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks for all of the feedback!! I think I will go with 40:1.
[signature]
Yes, my friend is a license mechanic and has been working on outboards for 30 years. He lives on the east coast at sea level and I am curious if altitude comes into play when talking mix ratio. I will take your advice and make a phone call.
[signature]
If you go 40:1 better make sure you take extra plugs and tools. I'll bet those plugs will foul easily.
[signature]
[quote fish_fanatic]Yes, my friend is a license mechanic and has been working on outboards for 30 years.[/quote][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Then there may be a basis for his recommendation. But I would still recommend talking directly with OMC before making a final decision. Tight lines and good luck.[/#][/font][/size]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
No the mix ratio stays the same as the mix goes through the crank case and get pushed into the cylinder/cylinders through ports as the piston moves up and down so it lubing the bearings at that point. If to much or to little mix is getting through then the adjustments are made with the carb jets and sometimes needle changes in the carb (very common practice in 2 stoke dirt bikes to re jet for altitude), not sure how common it has been for boat motors but think that most dealers at altitude left them with the stock jetting and let them run rich
[signature]
I second the thoughts of calling OMC. You can significantly reduce your fouling issues if you run Amsoil 2 stroke oil. You can really lean out the mix then. You can run 80:1 if your motor requires 40:1, or you can run 100:1 if it requires 50:1. It's the best oil out there.
[signature]
I was running 50:1 but my plugs were fouling bad at Strawberry. Ever since I switched to 100:1 my motor runs great. 1st pull usually and nice clean burning plugs.
I was really surprised since I've grown up with the standard of 50:1.
I run it the same at Willard as well runs great. I agree though better safe than sorry.

Heres some pictures of my same era Johnson Sea Horse that could....
[signature]
Thank you much!!
[signature]
I am going to start using Amsoil, that sounds like a great idea.
[signature]