Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinning v.s. Baitcast
I have always gone with a spinning outfit myself. Why do people get the baitcasters?

I think people like them for trolling more. What do you use and why?
[signature]
After reading what others on the board said, I got my first bait caster (Abu Garcia) last year and have to say I am very impressed with it. I bought it mainly for going after Tigers at Pineview, but I have used it trolling for wipers at Willard and Jigging for Macks at the Gorge. In my mind the best things are that it handles heaver line and lures a lot better than any spinning rig I had. Also the Drag is a TON better. (ie. a lot more adjustment capacity) The main drawback I have found is that it for the best performance it has to be adjusted for different lure weights. With the setup I have now, (Abu Garcia reel, ugly stick bait caster, 25 lb Yo-zuri Hybrid line) 1-1.5 oz lures work the best. Anything I have tried below 1/2 oz. just tends to create massive "bird nests".

Speaking of bird nests, thanks to the good folks here (mainly Tubedude I think) my learning curve with the bait caster was not as bad as some had warned. Once I got the reel dialed in and the right size (weight) lure on it was almost second nature. I still use my ultra light spinning rods for trout, but my next rod reel purchase will probably be an UL baitcaster.
spinning versus casting. i use spinning with line weight from 4 to 10 maybe 12 pound test. i use casting for line that is any heavier. casting reels are ideal for the heavier line. they often times have higher retrieve rates. i personally like casting reels for spinnerbaits, husky jerks, rapalas, swim baits, swim traps, and some tubes lizards and worms fished in thick cover. i use spinning tackle for senkos, senkos, tubes, and other finesse baits. i find casting out fits more applicable to bass fishin however i use mine at strawberry quite often.

jr8fish
[signature]
I use spinning more than baitcasting because I am not that good with dealing with rats nest . But I am trying to learn . I been throwing bigger "ski" baits with a baitcaster and I can get some long distance with them from shore . I do prefer baitcasting reels ice fishing because I don't get the line memory like a spinning reel .
[signature]
I always have used baitcasters. Mostly because they are the better reel for fishing bass. I am alot more comfertable useing a baitcasting reel than a spinning. I have no problem casting a spinning reel but the baitcasting reels just feel "right".
[signature]
Spinning reels are universal. I've used my main rod I'm using now with jigs that were 1-32oz up to 3oz. leads surf perch fishing. Spinning tackle may wear out faster, but if you find the right reel you have your best friend ever. I use a mitchel reel. I'm not sure of the model. It's worked great for big browns, bass, and trout. I put my equipment thru heavy use, and this reel has withstood excelently. I do have one bait caster that I use for carp sometimes. The only reason I even bother is because I dont feel like breakin one of my expensive spinning rods.
[signature]
I rarely use a spinning rod anymore. Casting reels tend to have better drag, don't twist line and are more fun to cast. In my experience, for the best results you need a high quality casting reel and rod or you will run into problems casting. You must learn how to adjust your rod for the lure weight you are using. That is what the control knob on the side plate is for. Your lure should fall slowly in free spool if properly adjusted. Also, when starting out, have someone show you proper casting technique and practice, practice, practice. It takes quite a while to become comfortable with a level wind, but when you get it down it's hard to go back to spinning reels. I'll use my spinning reels for very light lines, ie under 6 pound test. For everthing else, its a casting reel all the way. It is just fun to cast. I take friends out all the time and challenge them to a distance casting contest with my Shimanos against their spinning outfits, even with fairly light lures. It's an eye opener for those that are unfamiliar with the capabilities of todays high quality levelwinds. I feel a levelwind is best when you hook that huge fish of a lifetime. They just perform better landing big fish (smoother drag). For a beginner, a reel like the new Quantum series can't be beat. They have built in anti backlash technology that is amazing. Just my dos centavos.

Good Casting, Kayote
[signature]
I tend to use both. It depends on what I'm fishing for. It does take practice to get used to the bait caster, but once you have it down, it is sweeeet.
[signature]
I have used both. My first spinning reel was a Mitchell 300 I bought when I was 10 back in 1964. (Yeah, 50 but still kicking) I bought my first baitcaster in 1988. It was an Abu Garcia that I still use today. They have great drags, less line twist, more lure control, faster casting, and work well with heavier line, although I use 6# & 8# on mine all the time. Rats nests can be a concern, but the newer reels have anti-backlash features that really work good and the learning curve is not so bad. Once you get used to them, you might not want to go back. I still use both baitcasting and spinning reels, but I prefer the baitcaster at Powell, the Gorge and Strawberry (even through the ice) where I might hook into a big one. If you do, you will be glad you didn't have a spinning reel.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]I have used both for more years than I care to admit (can you say "stone reels"?) I have used either whan the size of the fish or the conditions seemed to dictate it. Like most others, I like spinning for lighter presentations and baitcasting for larger lures, heavier line and tougher fish.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Over the past ten years I had been gravitating toward ultralight spinning, for everything. Then, I dusted off a couple of ultralight baitcasters I had bought...more or less as toys...and started playing with tossing jigs as light as 1/16 oz on six pound line. Summagun. That was fun.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]I recently built 4 new light baitcasters...on 7 foot medium light spinning blanks. I have been looking for some good but affordable reels to finish them off. Unfortunately, good does not equate to cheap. I just went to a sports show in Phoenix where I fell in love with a demo model of a 6.1 oz Daiwa...until I learned the price...$369. And, it did not come in the left hand retrieve I wanted. Saved me from having to hock the wife and kids...and a fourth mortgage.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Bottom line, baitcasters are the best choice for almost any condition in which you will hook fish large enough to take line off the reel. They are much smoother and are much less likely to produce line twist after a long fight. For casting microjigs on skinny line, you need spinning. For everything in between, it is still a matter of personal preference...and budget.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I guess it depends on what i am fishing for. I use an ultra light fenwick with a shimano spinning reel and 4lb test for trout and pan fish.but when i fish for everything else i use a bait caster. i feel that i have more control when i fish a bait caster. especially casting short and tight distances.and they have a more effiecent drag system. so i would say i use a bait caster more than spinning.
[signature]