Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
strawberry
Went to the berry today, 20 + inches of ice and probably 20" pf s;ush and snow too.

We fished 29' of water and used everything from foxees to micro tube jigs. I caught

28 nice fish ranging from 2 lbs to 6 lbs, my friends caught 20 and the other one caught 23.

It was a great day of fishin, except for the slush.
[signature]
nice report bud, you shore can nock those cutts to death up at the berry. would ya mind sharing some of your secrets.....

THanks

jr8fish
[signature]
i am to wondering how you can have a 20 fish day at the berry. tell us your secrets, oh cutt master, tell us your secrets.
[signature]
i too would like to know your secret...

where did u catch that mess of fish. i would like to know your secret.

joe
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 2] OK, that does it, I'm hitting the Berry next weekend. Weather permitting.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFdan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Brownskie,

Sounds like fun, where are ya fishing. Did you say slush.... Ug, I hate the slush. How much slush was there? Did ya catch any bows? How many inches is a 6 pound cut??? Thanks for the info.

Bigcat
[signature]
A six pound cutt was 27" , If you want to catch fish at the berry you have to get away from the crowd, and fish with the smallest jig you can find, tipped with mealworm, if the mealworm is bigger than your jig then thats the size you want it.
[signature]
Almost forgot, we were fishing at renegade. good luck
[signature]
How in the world did you get to renegade? Snowmobile on the road or across the ice? They have not plowed the road have they? I would guess that over there you would have absolutely no trouble getting away from the crowds.
[signature]
snowmobile across the ice, I would send you some pics but it says the file is to big
[signature]
Try resizing the pictures in a photo editor. I usually can just do "Save As" and then save it as a lower quality picture but it depends on the photo editor.

Thanks for the good post. It's good to see some success and some big fish.
[signature]
I took my scouts up to the Berry on Saturday morning. We started fishing about 9:00 am and fished until noon. We had them using green or white paddlebugs tipped with nightcrawler or mealworms, small red and green tube jigs, and even a TubeDude Special green and red baitbug.

Total fish -- 3 brought onto the ice, 14", 17" and one about 21 that fell back into the hole before we could measure it. We had a couple others that broke off right at the ice as well. Some of the kids' poles had old, rotten line on it. Had a few other hits that never got hooked as well. None of us really had ice fishing experience, and it was only my second attempt ever, but it was really fun and no one got too cold.

There was a lot of slush on the ice and water later. Sometimes I'd take a step away from my hole and my foot would punch through about 8 inches of slush and water. Once it went over my boot. Almost makes me want to wear waders out on the ice.

We fished in 30 feet of water just NE of the main marina about 400-500 yards. Later we moved in to 15 feet. Most hits were just a foot or two from the bottom. All cuts no rainbows.
[signature]
The road is not plowed to renegade...you'd have to walk or ride a snowmobile there. The weather on Saturday was great! Mostly sunny with a few flurries once in awhile and quite warm.
[signature]
[#800080][size 2]Catman, was that your group filleting the fish in the parking lot? If it was, I was the guy sitting on his tailgate waiting for the Sherrif to come unlock his truck. [/size][/#800080]
[signature]
Hey tomegun, yes that was me filleting the fish. I didn't have a fillet knife -- all I had was my lockback 4" hunting knife, so it was really hard to fillet, let alone teach the scout that caught it how to do it. He did pretty dang good filleting the second side, his first try ever, and with a thick, nonflexible knife.

Sorry I didn't even notice you there. Would've loved to say hello. I was too busy yelling at my scouts for hitting my truck with snowballs I guess.

Man that sucks -- you locked your keys in your truck? I saw the sherrif heading towards the marina on my way heading out so hopefully you didn't have to wait too long.

Kevin
[signature]
I'd sure hate to have a scout get introduced to fishing by getting his first ticket. It is my understanding that it is illegal (at least the signs at the cleaning stations would lead someone to believe it is illegal) to filet a fish at Strawberry because it is not possible to tell the length of the original fish after it is fileted.
[signature]
You are correct. It is illegal to fillet fish at Strawberry unless you are going to cook and eat them on the spot. A bullet was dodged that day.
[signature]
Your real lucky Catman! You can't do anything to the fish at the Berry now that they have that slot limit! I can't believe you guys got away with that right at the cleaning station where everybody can see ya???
[signature]
Well, I know you have to be able to prove length and species, etc, so what we did was keep the rest of the fish in a bag too so that if we got checked we would be able to prove both length and species. I'm not sure if that is good enough for the law or not but that's what we did.

We didn't check the remains until we got home.
[signature]