Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blue gill in SLC
Does anyone know of any concentration on or near the Jordan River (ponds etc) in SL for blue gill ? Id like to have some blue gill fun somewhere close before the season really heats up ???
[signature]
Hey catfishbait welcome to BFT! We're glad to have you here! Sorry I don't know of any myself but others do and I'm sure you'll hear from them before long. I know at the Utah Lake outlet they were catching crappie and bluegill through the ice.
[signature]
They plant some bluegill in some of urban fisheries. Willow Pond an Bountiful Pond come to mind. I don't know how large their numbers are.

If you don't mind going to Utah County, then behind Lone Peak High School (to the west of it) there is a pond that has sunfish in it. I don't think that they are bluegill. They could be, but I would lean more towards green sunfish or pumpkinseed. The reason I couldn't tell you for sure is because the last time I was there (about 5 years ago), they were severely stunted. They were swarming the shoreline all over. It was Sad to see so many stunted fish. I don't know if it's still like that though. It sure could have used some LMB to thin them out though.
[signature]
Welcome to the site! In all my years of fishing the jordan, I've caught a grand total of 2 blue gills. they were both caught last year at the mouth of the cottonwood(aprx. 42nd south.) I've seen a coule others caught at the mouth of the canal on 48th. They were in july, though. I'm not sure if they'd eat too well right now.
[signature]
Thanks for such quick replies. I know I can get nice gills at pelican. I was hoping for something 10 15 minutes from home,
Sugarhouse area.

thanks again though[reply]
[signature]
Its nice to see more folks that hit the ol jordan such as Jensen Kid. Its a cool area to practice up on the Catfishing for sure. Nice close and effective !
[signature]
Cat_man, catchy name [Wink] Must be a man after my own interest.....Cats..Nice Big Cats !
[signature]
We used to catch them all the time at Kaysville Pond. I'm not sure if they are going to plant them again or not after the construction. It is not 15 min away but you can get there in 30 from SLC. Hopefully they will plant some.
[signature]
WILLOW POND. GILLS, CRAPPIE, TROUT, CATS, SMALLIES, AND GOLDFISH. ITS THE ONE ON THE NORTH SIDE OF I-215 JUST WEST OF THE I-15/I-215 JUNCTION. THEY STOCK IT REGULARLY WITH ALL THE FISH....ALTHOUGH THIS YEAR THEY ARE INITIATING A RANDOM STOCKING PROCEDURE TO KEEP THE "TAKERS" FROM GETTIN ALL THE FISH.
[signature]
the GSL ponds out by saltair are loaded with bluegill. I also live in sugarhouse, Welcome to the board

DZ
[signature]