Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
casting rod question
I just got a new bait casting reel and need to know what king of pole everyone suggests. I will probably be using it mostly at Utah Lake and maybe the Gorge. I put 8 pound line on it and it is hard to use without a pole to put it on. Any suggestions regarding pole size (length), flexibility, etc. would be great. I am not a big spender and am looking for an all around type of pole for occassional use.

Thanks for any input.
[signature]
There are several brands out there to chose from. I prefer a 6 1/2 to 8' flipping pole with the trigger grip. Take a look at the sponsors here on the site and you can see pretty much what there is to fit it on.

BFT has a rod selection or you can check the sponsor from [url "http://www.TackleDirect.com"]www.TackleDirect.com[/url] [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/guides/adcycle/adclick.cgi?manager=adcycle.com&gid=13&layout=multi&id=146"]
[/url]
[signature]
I suggest a high quality graphite rod with a long trigger handle. The pistol grip rods can be tough to cast. I find a 6'6" medium heavy rod perfect for me for freshwater casting. You may want to try friends rods before you settle on brand, action, handle and length. I generally use 12 pound test for bass fishing in Utah. There are a ton of rod chioces out there and everyone has an opinion, but I responded first so here's my favorite compromise of quality and price. I like a Dave Woos Extreme rod from Bass Pro Shops catalog. It's lite, strong and has great action. It lists for $100, but I've gotten them as low as $40 on sale. It's a very high quality rod for the price and has all Fuji Hardloy guides and handle. You can lob 1/4 oz lures with it, or slam huge macks at the Gorge. That's my dos centavos. Good luck

Good Fishing, Kayote

opps, too slow. I guess I responded second. Oh well, old fingers LMAO
[signature]
[#800080][size 2]Call me. You can use one of mine before you make a decision. 6'6" Is always a good start. Think about what and where you want to use it for. We'll talk about line too.[/size][/#800080]
[signature]