Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUNDAY WHICH CANYON IN SLC.....
SO THE WIFE WANTS US TO GO WITH A BUNCH OF FREINDS UP ONE OF THE CANYONS ON SUNDAY FOR A AFTERNOON COOKOUT AND JUST HANG IN THE HILLS THAT DAY, WHICH ONE OFFERS GOOD FISHING THAT A LITTLE KID CAN DO TOO? I HAVE A 5 YEAR OLD AND OUR FRIENDS HAVE A 2 YEAR OLD, WHERE CAN WE GO THAT THESE KIDS CAN GET SOME GOOD TIME ON THE RIVER, POND, LAKE I WAS THINKING BIG COTTON WOOD, BUT THEN I REMEMBERED MY LAST TRIP UP THERE A WEEK AGO, SNOWING AND COLD, WHAT ABOUT MILL CREEK, OR HAS ANYONE GONE FISHING UP CITY CREEK CANYON? MAYBE LITTLE COTTONWOOD....BUT I EXPECT IT TO BE THAT SAME SITUATION AS BIG COTTONWOOD...THEY WERE STILL SKIING UP THERE FOR HEAVEN SAKES.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT....I GUESS IF THERE ARE ANY MORE PONDS LIKE WILLOW BUT NOT WILLOW IN SLC THAT WOULD WORK TOO SO MAYBE THE KIDS CAN GO PLAY IF THEY WANT TO. YOU CAN PM ME TOO IF YOU DONT WANT TO GIVE AWAY YOUR SPOTS TO EVERYONE. I DONT THINK I CAN TAKE THE KID(S) TO THE JORDAN RIVER. BUT THEY MAY ENJOY ONE OF THE PONDS AT A PARK.

LATERS,
[signature]
BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON!

Silver Lake by Brighton if the snow is gone around the lake. We caught some nice bows up there last year throwing a panther martin tipped with worm or a curly tail, we used silver with flecks of gold (small curly tails) PM was 1/16 oz and silver in color. Go the the bridge and throw out to deeper water, or go around the lake to the backside and throw towards the middle of the lake. We limited out in a couple hours. Also you can look for beaver ponds along the road, there are places you can park off the road with little dirt roads heading towards the creek (they only go a hundred feet or so) and you can picnic there with a small portable BBQ, we did it last year also, but watch out for the wind, and the temps drop very fast once the sun goes behind the mountain. My favorite beaver pond is just above the switchbacks water is deeper there pushing 4 feet and from the edge of the pond you can see lots of fish, but these are smart fish and they get fished a lot so you have to work them a little. You can still do well but patience and keep changing what you throw. We fly fished it last year with a little luck but when we threw the the open faced spinners we nailed them more conistently.

Good luck and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
I doubt very much that Silver Lake is a good option for the kind of outing you are describing. I have not been there yet this year but I can't even imagen that enough of the snow is gone to allow an outing in the upper part of Big Cottonwood Canyon. If the weather is nice you may be able to have a nice picnic in one of the Forest Service picnic areas in the lower end the canyon. But I would be very leary of the stream down there at this time of the year because of the run-off. You don't want your kids playing by the water. Many have died doing that. And I don't know how easy the fishing is in that stream right now either. There is definitely some pretty good fishing for browns in the lower end of the canyon in the spring time, but I think it takes some skill to fish it at high water. If you do try, use small worms on very sharp hooks. I use #12 fly hooks and bend the point out just slightly. Makes for easier hookups.

I would imagen that Little Cottonwood and Millcreek will be nearly the same as Big Cottonwood. I don't know much about City Creek and it does not have much of a reputation as far as fishing goes.

If I were you I might consider Tibble Fork Reservoir. I hear that the fishing is not fast but it is easy, less dangerous, and could make for a good time. Maybe the stream below is an option too. There are some good places for picnics but please be careful there too. There have been several tragic drownings there as well.

Good luck to you and I hope you have fun. Let us know how it goes.

m
[signature]
I would recommend avoiding any on the canyons in the Wasatch at this time of the year. The weather can change at a moments notice, and all of the streams will be running fast and dangerous for your little ones. I would suggest you consider the ponds in South Jordan or Murray. Maybe Burraston Pond down by Mona, the reports says it was planted recently. I used to take my scouts down there every spring and they would have a blast.
[signature]
SILVER IS STILL COVERED WITH SNOW AND ICE BIG TIME WAS UP THERE ON EASTER AND THERE IS STILL SNOW UP THE CANYON THERE TOO AND COLD JUST SO YOU KNOW
[signature]
I spend a couple days a week up the canyons, was in mill and BCC over the last few days. BCC still has snow at the stream from around donut falls up, silver lake still very covered, would only recommend lower canyon but be careful with the little kids once their in the stream there gone, LCC will be the same. Millcreek is nice almost all the way up, the first few day-use areas are open but many are still not, there is still snow towards the gate at the top in millcreek which they usually open first of june. Millcreek is a smaller drainage so the stream is not as big but there are trout in it. Try the Provo river anywhere.
[signature]
Hmmm, maybe I should get my ice chisel, auger and scoop back out and head up there with some waxies. I never did ice that lake this winter.
[signature]
Oh wow! I'm finally a brookie!! Well I caught plenty of the ugly big brookies down at willow, so this is fitting.
[signature]
The canyons are no place to take little ones to fish . Water will be running fast and cold . If you do go , keep the kids away from the water . Millcreek would be my choice for a picnic .
[signature]
the south jordan ponds would be great they have tables and there is a park there too with a play area it's across the road but still close just keep an eye on the kids as the jordan river is right there too.
[signature]
Weather isn't supposed to be very warm on Sunday, stream were still pretty low the other day but starting to show signs of runoff. Be carefull with the kiddies when the streams get mean in the cottonwood canyons. Seems like someone drowns every year
[signature]
HOW DO I GET TO THE SOUTH JORDAN PONDS...I TEACH THE CLASS AT WILLOW....BUT SOUTH JORDAN, DO THEY HAVE A NAME LIKE WILLOW OR IS IT JUST SJP?

NOT TO WORRY ALL, NO KIDS WILL BE NEAR A STREAM UNLESS ITS NEXT TO DORMANT, AND THEY HAVE ON THE LIFE VESTS I MAKE EM WEAR WHEN WE ARE AROUND WATER, MY 5 YEAR OLD COULD SWIM OUT OF A POND, BUT EVEN IN A TRICKLE OF A STREAM I MAKE HER WEAR A VEST. YES I AM THAT DAD...I WOULD RATHER BE ABLE TO JUMP IN AND GRAB HER VEST ON THE SURFACE, THEN TRY TO WATCH FOR WHERE THE SHOES POP UP OUT OF CURRENT WHEN THEY BOUNCE OFF A ROCK...MUCH RATHER SEE HER STAY DRY. I DONT TAKE HER PLACES WHERE THERE IS HIGH, FAST WATER, JUST DONT DO IT SO I DONT HAVE TO BE THE DUMMY ON THE NEWS....THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING...I LOOKED AWAY FOR 3 SECONDS....THEY SHOULD HAVE WALKED AWAY 3 HOURS AGO WHEN THEY PULLED UP AND THE WATER WAS TURBULENT. ONE OF MY PEEVES IS LACK OF AWARENESS.

I AM LOOKING AT TIBBLE FORK, THERE ARE SOME TRAILS UP THERE I THINK WE CAN DRIVE THE JEEPS DOWN FOR MAYBE A LITTLE FUN IN THE MUD IF WE CANT FISH.....BUT THOSE SOUTH JORDAN PONDS....HHMM...MAYBE. ITS LOCAL, EASY ACCESS, AND THERE IS A PLAYGROUND FOR ME TO GO ON THE SLIDE TOO.....HHMMM....I MAY EVEN TAKE MY DOGS....OH YEAH CAN YOU TAKE EM TO TIBBLE?

LATERS,
[signature]