Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wader question
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] I've been looking at trying out this float tube thingy. I have my tube picked out now it's time for the waders. Due to pricing the breathable waders are too far out of reach (for now). So I'm trying to figure out which wader to go with, the neoprene or LL Bean has a flyweight wader. I have used neoprene wetsuits before so I know what I get with neoprene but the Flyweight waders. The question I have is the flyweight waders, has anyone used them? Any Pro's and Con's or even opinions, would help. Thanks in advanced.

[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] David
[signature]
[cool][#408080][size 2]Hi there Powermaker, First you will need to look at a stocking foot wader which will accommadate your fins. I own a pair of Simms G3s but they are real pricey. Check out this Cabella site where they are advertising a breathable wader for $99.00. Good luck tubing. It is a lot a of fun.[/size][/#408080]

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jhtml?id=0011541830202a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/vertical-item.jhtml?id=0011541830202a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx[/url]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey PM, welcome to the play pen. We will be glad to help you through the initiation process. In fact, if you will shoot me a PM, with your email address, I can send you some selected chapters from my book on float tubing...including how to put together a system with all the bells and whistles. [/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you cruise back through some of the past threads, you will find a few discussions of different kinds of fins, waders, electronics, rod holders and just about everything to do with tubing. For more specific and personal questions, feel free to post them up or send PM to myself, T2 or any of the other regulars here. We have all gone through what you will be doing so we are sensitive to the questions and concerns.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]As a quick general statement and recommendation, let me suggest you start with Hodgman Breathlite waders. They are not the best on the market, but they are serviceable and they are under a hundred dollars. You can often find them on sale at Sports Authority and other discount sporting goods outlets for $20 less.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Of course the type of fishing you will be doing is important in choosing your waders. For fishing warm water lakes for bass, stripers, etc., you will seldom find the need for heavy neoprenes. On the other hand, if you chase winter bass, or hit the colder trout lakes, then full neoprenes will be welcome in your outfit.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The Hodgmans come with neoprene foot pockets. These help with cold water warmth, without adding to the sweat factor in warmer water. They do have a tendency to develop pinhole leaks through the "breathable" fabric though. After a season of use, you will come in with wet spots and need to keep finding and sealing micro holes.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Once you decide you are going to get serious about tubing, you might want to consider investing in something like the Simms Guideweight waders. Lots of good reports on them, where guys have used them roughly over several years without any leaks or seam failures.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Let me know if you would like some light reading on any of the different areas of tubing. I'll be glad to share some of the stuff I have picked up over the last 40 years or so of playing with these funny boats.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]

Hey there Powermaker,

Yes.. a welcome to BFT. L.L. Bean is a fairly up-scale operation in my own humble opinion and I don't think you would be able to get the 'bargin basement' items. (make no mistake..... just because it bb doesn't mean it's not good quality) L.L. Bean just smells traditon, old-school, and money. Hope they are one of our advertisers!

I was checking out some of the catalogues and breathable waders that are to be had 'on sale' for... $49.95 with waders with a MSRP of $60~90-something. Not Bad!

Whatever the case, TubeDude and co-moderator are the ones to inquire about waders for float tubes.

On another vien, I kinda assume you're not a warm-water tuber. If you're mostly fished warm water, there are some amazing new things that are 'GOING' to come out in the 'warm water apparel' area fairly soon that will knock your socks off and I'd say wait. Not to fish but to invest! (I'm testing some NASA-like-developed material stuff now that's thinner than 3mm with lots or insulation, breaths, and has m-o-b-i-l-i-t-y.)

JapanRon
[signature]
As it was aforementioned, Neoprene waders are beneficial for colder water situations. They can be uncomfortable in warm weather but will still provide the dry protection that you may desire.

There are only a few bodies of water here in Cali that will allow the use of float tubes without waders. Others make waders mandatory because some of those lakes are water supplies.

Back to the waders. I currently use Stearns 3.5 neoprene for early morning tubing. Although they are an overkill for warm weather, they do keep me dry until the time I need to get out of the water.

There are several types and brands of waders out there. I will not attempt to name all f them because if I miss one then could create an awkward postion and leave me vulnerable to the other tuber, tooner, and yakers to throw their darts and sink my tube for me.

Any brand (of the desired thickness for the climate) that keeps you dry, is good. Any brand that will be of service for several tubing seasons, is even better.

If you are planning on starting a venture in tubing, you may need more than on set of waders. Winter and Summer. If and when budgetary confinements inhibbit the purchase of multiple sets, the acquired addiquacy of the current climatary circumstance should suffice. Buy the other set later in the season.

On the other hand, if finances permit, summer is the better time to buy the winter waders while they are on special. Hodgemanns and Stearns are both famous for their summer specials. Simms may also participate in these seasonal savings.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Hey Dryrod, thanks for the link. However, Cabella's really doesn't work for me. I would really like to find the Simms G3 down to $99. I know, not anytime soon.

[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]TubeDude, thanks for all the info. I primarily fish in the desert Southwest, so very cold water temps are unlikely. If I end up going with a "lite" pair, I figure I can always layer up. The name of waders you used [/size][/font][#0000ff][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 1]"[/size][/font][size 1][font "Comic Sans MS"]Hodgman Breathlite waders" [#000000][size 2], can you double check the name or provide a link, that name doesn't come up. [/size][/#000000][/font][/size][/#0000ff]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]David[/size][/font][#0000ff][size 1]
[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] Mornin' JapanRon, I personally have never done business with LL Bean, but the name is all over the place. Concerning the "testing" you claim to be doing, I have just one word for you to think about: POWERMAKER. LOL. Thanks for your input

[signature]
[size 2] [font "Comic Sans MS"] tubeN2, good input. I really don't have any budgetary concerns (as long as the wife approves), however since this is a new venture and I have found you can drop a lot of money upon initial investment. CAUTION: Cliché Approaching, I would prefer getting my feet wet before diving off the high dive. If I start now with the water temps elevated, by the time Fall works around I should know whether or not I like or even get the hang of the float tube thingy. Then I can research heavier waders, but I'll keep my eyes open through the summer.

[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Okay, so I was off in my remembery. Here is what they have in Cabelas.[/size][/blue]

[Image: spacer.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] [Image: p000607vr02.jpg] [Image: spacer.gif] Hodgman Wadelite™ Breathable Waders
The lightweight, breathable comfort of Hodgman waders keeps you comfortable and protected even on those blistering days. The Horco-Tex® CL Plus technology completely blocks the entry of water while allowing perspiration vapor to escape for airy dryness, even on the hottest days. The outer shell is made of rugged taslan nylon for abrasion resistance and all seams are sealed for wearing longevity.
[li]Attached gravel guards on the Chest waders are made from the same durable taslan nylon as the outer shell for convenience and dependability. Double-layer knees guard this vulnerable area against excessive wear. The 3mm neoprene booties pad your feet and protect the wader material from abrasion. [/li]

[blue][size 1]You are correct in thinking "layering up". It is easier to add layers when you need them than to thin out a neoprene layer when you are sweating to death. Kinda like the raincoat thing. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I think there is a relationship there somewhere.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]You should have received some of the other stuff I sent by email. Hope it helps.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I use the hodgeman wadelite waders and I have to say that I really like them. I am a bigger guy and they give me better mobility, plus they were on sale at the time. So far the best bang for my buck. Granted they have only been out a dozen or so times; no leaks yet though. Good luck on your choice and you have my vote for hodgmans as an entry level set of waders.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey OEJ, I still own and use the Hodgman waders...temporarily. I love them until they get some miles on them and began to seep through the "breathable" membrane. Sometimes that only takes a few trips. My current set has lasted over a year, but I have not been fishing as much this last year, due to family situations.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]Like yourself, I am a big guy...6'3" and over 250#. I found some XXL Hodgmans that were a true XXL and had the room I needed to add additional layers in colder water, so I got them. I have gone through several pairs since. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Many of the wader manufacturers seem to think that there are no big fishermen who want waders that fit. They either cut them to fit an anorexic angler (too skinny to wear clothes under the waders), or their sizes are way off. Of course, many of the waders we buy from known US companies are actually made "offshore". In some of those countries, XL means anybody over 5'10". A XXL sometimes does not even fit a slender 6 footer.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That brings up a good point. In the writings I have done on float tubing, I always advise folks to try before they buy. And, don't try waders with street clothes and dress socks. Take in your bulky pants and heavy socks to try on the waders. If you can't slide into them comfortably, and still have some mobility, then you need to get a bigger size or a different brand.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]One of the biggest complaints I have with wader designs is in the ankles. Some brands have tight fitting ankles that do not allow you to get into them while wearing anything thicker than pantyhose. Now, I do not wear pantyhose. I tend to wear a set of nice wool socks, so I need to be able to get in and out of my waders with those on. If you have to fight narrow ankle construction, you will get a hernia trying to get out of your waders at the end of the day, and your seams on the ankle will get a lot of extra wear...and seam failure.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]That problem does not seem to be nearly as common with neoprene products as with lightweights...with or without neoprene booties.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yepper, I'm a big boy too and Hodgeman wadelite are what I use. I've heard some folks have problems with them leaking but I must say the only leak I've had I caused by kneeling on a shaRp object the first week I owned them. I slapped a bit of fix it to em and they have been good to go, no complains. Just guessing, I'd say I've spend an average of 15 hours in them each week since I bought them in March I believe. Whats more, I didnt have to spend the G-kids college fund to buy them.
[signature]
I'll be tubing the 24th, so I'll bring a pair of Hodgman Wadelite 2 for you to check out.

Buy a pair of lightweight Simms for $200.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks hedgesd, that would be cool. I'll check'em out. At present I'm trying too keep the investment to a minimum until I find out if the tube thing works out. If it all works out lookout venders and credit card company.

[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] David
[signature]