Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live Bait at Lake Mead
Sunday, 09/05 and Monday, 09/06: Hit the water early both days (4:45 a.m.). Headed for Las Vegas Wash to net live shad. It was very difficult finding shad. We spent at least an hour and a half tossing the net, never getting that big net full of shad. Instead, we would catch two here, six there, etc. Most of the time the net was pulled in empty. However, we kept tossing and the shad kept coming in a few at a time until we had enough to fish with.
Our drift began inbetween the red and green channel bouys near Hole 33. The bite was steady both days. Sunday we caught around 20, I'm not sure because we released most of the larger fish (3lbs.) because they were so lean. We brought home eight fish. On Monday we brought home sixteen. Many anglers were jigging and many were soaking cut bait while at anchor. While we were looking for shad only one other angler was doing the same. He later told us he was unsuccessful.We did'nt even look for boils. It was a great weekend to fish and well worth the challange of netting live shad! I can't wait to do it again!
BaySport
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] BaySport, thanks for the report. I too have notice that the shad aren't congregating like they used to. [size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] David
[signature]