Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishermen
Ive fished out of my float tube a few times now and im getting ready to fly fish out of it (its a pontoon) what adjusting i will need to make when casting since i will obviously sitting over standing

Thanks,
Sam [Smile]
[signature]
I think you will be happily surprised. I have tried tubes and they are fun, however I love my pontoon. Up and out of the water so you don't have to worry about freezing in colder water lakes or resevoirs. Fly fishing is excellent from it.
[signature]
[cool][font "Californian FB"][#005028][size 4]Hey there trouthungry, I haven't had a problem in this area for I am more prone to use a ¾ overhand cast to prevent the possibility of snagging my tube. You are not going to be making real long casts but who needs too. You are already in deep enough water. You can actually get a lot closer to the fish as your shadow is much lower than if you were standing. A little practice and you be doing great in no time at all.[/size][/#005028][/font]
[signature]
Hey there trouthungry,

When fishing close quarters, one might trim back the tree limbs and for sure remove the 12ft CB whip antenna on your rig!

All seriousness aside, since it's difficult to set up a stripping apron such as we see on float tubes, you could use what I use when I'm surf fishing.

I got a wire basket the width of my body and 12 inches deep and 6 inches high. I used a waist strap from an old backpack to keep the whole thing in front of me and sticking straight out.

Having kayaked, it's a pain to have the wind and current catch your stripped line. Especially when they are going different directions to the one you are traveling! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]As others have offered, waving a fly rod from a pontoon is simple and effective. The big reason for the explosion of float tube popularity in the past 20 years has been the natural go-together of fly fishing and flotation. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most newbies try to cast farther than they need to. If you position your craft right, you should never have to strain to make a long cast. Quiet and hands free kicking allows you to get within easy casting range of feeding fish without spooking them. Of course, you still need to make good clean casts to keep from lining them or making a big "splash down".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another mistake is that tubers and tooners try to compensate for being close to the water by raising their rod arm higher while casting. That flat wears you out faster and does not make better casts. In a pontoon that sits you at least a little off the water, you can still keep your elbows down and use the wrist and forearm to make the good casts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some tubers and tooners opt for slightly longer fairy wands, again to help compensate for a lower casting platform. For most fishing, a 9 foot will make all the casts you need. However, I have my eye on a new 10 foot for 5 weight line. But, I am a big guy and I can handle the extra rod better than someone with a slighter frame.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Start with what you have, and make it work for you. Get to know and understand the differences...positive and negative. Then work to compensate or work around the things that need attention.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Keep it low and keep it natural. I found that on many occasions the fish seemed to spook less once I was at their level. Some species of fish just think of you as some other type of structure and are actually attracted to your presence.

Certain trout will be just the opposite.[cool]
[signature]

Hi there TubeN2,

Hey now there's an idea! Let's see.....green waders and flippers with a few yellow splotches here and there and then start singing. A green colored donut tube would make a fine lillypad!

One just might attract that 2 million $ LMB everyones been lookin' for!

JapanRon
[signature]
A little green guy like that, singing on a lilly pad would only attract Miss Piggy.[laugh]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Depends on what you are singing. Might get you a nice contract with Budweiser. If you got lucky, might be some freebies.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuurp!!!! There is nothing better than freebies.[cool]
[signature]