Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturday Tubing Plans for Lincoln Beach
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks to ALAN and MIKECROMAINE for hosting our little planning session and salsa fest last night. Only 8 folks showed up, but we anticipate a few more will be joining us on the water. Thanks also to FFM for the great salsa (as usual), and to CBR for "chipping in" with the chips.

For those who were not there, but who want to join in on Saturday, here's the semi-final game plan. We will be meeting under the bright lights at the Lincoln Beach launch area at 6:30 AM. That's a good place to get "dressed up" in our funny tubing wear, and to take advantage of the "facilities" before getting into the cold water.

This is not a formal tournament, with rules and regulations. You can show up whenever you want, and fish wherever you want. You do not even have to have a tube or 'toon to join in. Heck, Tincanfish is going to come play with us in his Kayak. He thinks he can fool some largies with crankbaits or buzzers.

For the benefit of anyone new to tubing, or unfamiliar with Utah Lake or Lincoln Beach, I will be leading a caravan to a "top secret" area to the west of the springs where we can expect fewer people and safer launching. Guidance will be available to assist in safe launching from the rocky shoreline.

The weather forecast still causes some concern...warm but WINDY. You don't wanna be on Utah Lake in flotation craft when the wind comes up. We are hopeful and optimistic that we can at least get in some early morning fishing before the dreaded "W" becomes a factor. Heck, fishermen are always optimistic. Right?

Anybody who does not know how to get to Lincoln Beach can use the new map I have put together (attached). If that ain't good enough, we have a mini-caravan plan. We will meet at the Harmon's Market parking lot, on the SW corner of Redwood Road and 5400 S. It takes about 1 hour to get to the meeting spot at Lincoln Beach, so we will be leaving Harmons by 5:30. I operate on "Lombardi Standard Time". If you are on time, you are late. As some of my FORMER fishing buddies will attest, I do not wait for anyone.

Bring your digital cameras and your walkie talkies set to channel 12. Also, bring whatever food or drinks you will need. No snack bars set up and no McDonalds or 7-11s.

Best lures for walleyes have been 3" and 4" plastics (twisters and swim baits), in two tones. Black or purple with chartreuse tails have been good, as have whites or all chartreuse. Rigging tandem (two jigs) with two light heads seems to work better than a single jig with a heavier head.

Bring some crawlers and/or some fish meat for bait. The channel cats are still active while the water temps stay above 60, and of course the mudders are always happy to munch your bait.

Some white bass are showing up, but not yet in any numbers. You get singles and doubles, but there have not been any big schools yet. You have to keep moving to find them. Bring a marker buoy to toss over when you get bit, and then work the area thoroughly.

If anybody wants my home phone number or personal assistance, shoot me a PM.

Looking forward to a good time on the water, Saturday. Let's have everybody doing an anti-wind dance. Who knows, maybe it will work.

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well done I.O.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the water. I'll be doing the Anti-W Dance from now til Saturday.
[signature]
not 100% sure i will make it i have been gone for the last month with 2 days home sat. is supposed to be " family " day but if i can sneek off for a couple of hours i will see you at harmons
[signature]
Thanks TD! I'm looking forward to Saturday! I'll be there at 0 dark 30.

nate
[signature]
I will most likely be there. I may actually be there early if so I will be out setting up my toon for the day.
jed
[signature]
I have one too many obligations for this weekend (Elk hunt - rebuilding a computer network in Vernal - clean the house before my girlfriend comes home from the Baloon Fiesta in Alburquerque), so I doubt I'll be able to make it. If by some miracle I can show up; I'll be in a puddle jumper (10-14 footer) with a 6h.p. kicker just in case any of the human bobbers need assistance with the "up" direction.[Tongue]

I've got an extra seat in the boat, an extra radio, an extra 3.5mm pair of stockingfoot neoprene's (size medium), an extra pair of size 10 wading boots (works well with a 9 foot in the neoprenes), and an extra camo life jacket.

I really hope to meet all of you out there. The only other gatherings I've been able to go to were the Willard meet, (the one that got cancelled because of "W". I got there just in time to meet the last few to leave.) and the Starvation ice gathering where only 4 Walleye were caught. It was nice to meet some of the folks and have some tasty hot-pickled peppers.[sly]
[signature]
Thank you for releasing bits of your emmense wisdom to us. It was good to meet the ones that could show up and I'll see you Sat. morning. That was at 5:35, right?[crazy] Al
[signature]
Sorry again TD,

Since we live in Utah, Halloween is on the 30th this year. I have my kids that weekend and wouldn't miss dressing up and taking them out Trick-or-Treating for anything. We REALLY get into the holiday. Attached is a pic of me from last year. Since my girlfriend did the paint work, she won the most creative Jack-O-Lantern award from my office.

What are you goin' as this year?[Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great costume.

Here's mine from last year.

Think I will just disguise myself as a fisherman this year. Definitely takes a lot more imagination.
[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]The access spot I have in mind for launching tubes is probably one of the friendliest roads along the Lincoln Beach point. There is just a bit of an "interesting" dip as the dirt road leaves the paved road, but after that almost any vehicle can manage it. I have seen a variety make it over the past few weeks.

We will discuss what needs to be done to get out there without car damage at the morning gathering. Basically, we will drive over small to medium sized rocks, but nothing that requires high clearance or 4 wheel drive. If you drive slowly and pick your path you should have no problems.

Getting back out is only slightly difficult for most cars. You just avoid the deeper ruts and have a short uphill spot that might wrinkle your brow. Some of the access roads near the springs can only be negotiated with 4X4. I know. My Jimmy wouldn't even try it until I shifted into offroad mode.

I saw a couple of young men bogged down by the second spring a week ago. They had a black pickup with the front end buried in soft gravel. I was running late and couldn't go down to help them, but they weren't there the next time. Since I did not see just the roof top, I assumed they had made it out.

A good policy anywhere is to not attempt to make it on any road (or lack of road) when you are not totally sure of your vehicle's ability to handle it. That's why it is always good to have at least two vehicles on any trip. Then, if your buddy gets bogged down, you can laugh at him to make him see the humor of the situation. Of course, if it happens to you, then that is a tragedy of the first order and your buddy better help you out. [/size]

[/#0000ff]
[signature]
LMAO[laugh] Now that's funny!
[signature]
[cool]Hey, T.D. Thanks for organizing this whole extravaganza. That Harmons is like 10 minutes from my house, but since I've been to Lincoln 3 times now, I'm pretty confident in my abilities to get there, so I'll meet ya at the launch parking lot at 6:30. Think I'll leave my house at 5 to make sure I'm not runnin late, 'cause i'd like to launch over west of the springs with you guys. I usually shore fish at the 3rd springs by that cement building, and that's kind of a ways to carry a tube loaded with my gear.

Question. Can you drive a car down to where you are going to launch? Most of the places I've seen around there requires something with decent ground clearance to get close to the water.

I'm really looking forward to it! I figure I should at least catch a big ol fat carp, or a cat or two!
[signature]
I am aiming to get there around 5:30 and hit the water by 6. Keep your eyes open for me.
[signature]
Hahaha! Thats pure comedy.
[signature]
[cool]Right on, Pat. I'm looking forward to fishing with the "infamous" TubeDude himself. I'll be driving a '92 Honda Accord (white). Not the ideal fishing rig, but it's paid for, ha! 245,000 miles, so I don't care if it gets scraped up a bit etc., just as long as my oil pan stays in tact. My ideal fishing rig would be one of those new Toyota Tundra Double Cabs (now that's what I call a rice rocket!). Gonna have to make the wife get another job to finance it. J/k honey...OUCH!!!

I hope we can get a couple of hours of good fishin' in before the wind comes up[pirate]. Saturday is going to rule!! Can't wait.
[signature]
I am pretty much 75% leaning toward Lincoln tomorrow morning. Look for my green four runner and a float tube flailing about scaring those fishies away...
[signature]
GOOD LUCK!!!!

Use those intuitive detective skills to decipher my next series of replies [url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('Wink')"][Wink][/url]
[signature]
KNOCK...
[signature]
EM...
[signature]
DEAD!!!...
[signature]
...But Release them alive [url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('crazy')"][crazy][/url][url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('Tongue')"][Tongue][/url][url "javascript: top.editor_iframe.addTag('cool')"][cool][/url]
[signature]