Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homebrewers?
I just brewed up my first batch of homebrew, a cherry stout. It was a fair amount of work, but it was fun. I was just curious how many homebrewers we have here in Zion? What's your favorite homebrew?
[signature]
WELL I WAS GOING TO GET INTO IT HAD OVER 200 BOTTLES AND I RAN OUT OF TIME TO REALLY GET INTO IT . SORRY I THROU THE BOTTLES AWAY I STILL WANT TO DO IT THOU BUT IN NEED TIME AND SPACE TO DO SO. OH I WOULD LOVE TO TRY YOUR BREW SOMETIME HINT HINT
[signature]
You got it Mike. A few years ago, I was saving my empties so that I could refill them with homebrew. After a few years of not having time or money to get into it I threw them away. I got an equipment kit off of ebay for $48 and bought an ingredient kit from beernut. Being in a crunch for time, and not wanting to invest in a lot of bottles at this time, I filled up 1 liter pop bottles. We'll see how that turns out.
Now I discover that ACE hardware in Roy has equipment and some ingredients, and I think they were even cheaper than I got off of ebay. Doh!! Roy's a lot easier for me to get to than Salt Lake too.
[signature]
Haven't had time to brew for a while, but I sure like to when I get the chance. I've done extract brewing, but I'm set up for mash brewing now and enjoy the flavor much more then extract batches. Mash brewing is even more work then extract brewing however.

Forget the bottles. After doing bottles once or twice, I swore I'd never brew again until I got a keg system, so I did. Get an old refrigerator, put some taps on the door, get a CO2 tank and regulator, and through 2 or 3 [url "http://www.ebrew.com/primarynews/intro_keg_system.htm"]Cornelius kegs[/url] in the refrigerator. Each keg will hold a full five gallon batch. It's the only way to go.
[signature]
How do you fit a corny keg in your pontoon? I guess for ice fishing you can put it in your sled, but it's still a lot of weight to drag around. I think the kegging will have to wait a while for me.
[signature]
SOUNDS LIKE I WILL HAVE TO GET TOGATHER WITH YOU AND GO FISHING CBR ALAN AND I ARE HITTING WILLARD ON SATURDAY IF YOU WANT TO SHOW UP I DO HAVE A EXTRA SEAT ON THE BOAT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME
[signature]
Botteling is not that bad. I have a big double utility sink and it makes it go pretty fast. The key is to rinse the bottles as soon as they are empty and put a spot of clorox in them till they are used again.
I use the big bottles, Rolling Rock 22 oz and Heiniken 22 oz. It takes about 29 bottles per batch, thats 2 cases and a few for testing. I have a freind who tends bar and saves them for me. I have a keg system now but still kep bottles for easy transport. Sometimes I just pour off the keg into the bottles and cap them for use that same day.
I prefer the lighter beers and have two batches lagering now. Mostly wheat beers with saus or haulertauer hops. I use isinglass and irish moss to clarify.
[signature]
Mike, I appreciate the offer, and wish I could take you up on it, but it's looking like I'll be working overtime this weekend. We'll have to hook up another time.

Troll, I really didn't mind the bottling process. Like I said, I mainly used 1 liter bottles, and it only takes about 18 or so of them.

The bad part is, I came home from work yesterday, and my wife is drinking my new beer! It's just a baby! Only been in the bottle for about 3 days. Anyways, I cracked one open myself, and it's pretty good. It should be better in another week or so, but I'm not that patient.

I need to get another batch going this weekend. Probably a nice amber ale. Hmmmm, beer.
[signature]
Where is Ace hardware in Roy?
[signature]
It's on the southwest corner of 5600 S and 3500 W, behind the gas station.

I'll probably head out there in the next day or three, so if you wanted me to check on something, let me know.
[signature]
[reply]
How do you fit a corny keg in your pontoon? I guess for ice fishing you can put it in your sled, but it's still a lot of weight to drag around. I think the kegging will have to wait a while for me. [/reply]

The yeast cake in the bottom of the bottles would be a bit mixed up in the beer by the time you got out to your fishin' hole. Yum yum! Cloudy, yeasty beer. Fill up a couple of growlers from the taps on the refridgerator you convert to a keg refridgerator and take the growlers out with you. Ask Predator. I was pouring home brews out of my ice fishing sled out on Fish Lake last winter. Mighty nice out on the ice. And crystal clear.

BTW - I'm spending Thanksgiving with my brother inlaw in Pollock Pines, CA. He has 6 taps on his refrigerator, 5 of them flowing. A VERY nice variety of home brew.
[signature]