Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba bows on turkey day
Well we got there at 930 and caught 3 in the first half hour on a jakes lure. Then for the next hour not a bite!They seemed to have moved out deeper as they were jumping far out.So i threw everything i had in my spinner spoon box.So we decided to move and still not a bite after an hour.I noticed about 1100am they started to move in closer but still no bites!I was getting frustrated but i decide to keep moving around the shore.I noticed they started following my jakes to shore but would stop as they would see me.I was casting out as far as i could then coming towards me .I decided to change my approach.I casted parralel to shore and bam i started nailing them!We ended up taking 8 home for dinner.We released 6 females and kept 1 because she took the jakes lure deep.My biggest for the day was a 19 inch brute that did not want to come to shore.One thing that i noticed the larger males were darker and had a hooked lower lip like salmon.Why is that?
[signature]
I am really surprised at the size of bows down there . Nice fish . Males get the hooked jaw on them and it seems to get well defined approaching spawn .
[signature]
Sounds like a really great way to spend Thanksgiving morning. Thanks for sharing the pics ocean.
[signature]
Nice pictures Ocean! Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Nice lookin' fish! Too bad the fish I caught today werent that big. Dang planters!
Anthony
[signature]
Thanks for the post Ocean.. Nice fish. Could a guy launch a small trailered aluminum boat at Yuba?
[signature]
is that clear water i see there in that pic? i have never seen water that clear in yuba in my life.. must have made a big dent in the carp with the draining of the lake.. sweet now if it just had the pike and walleyes in it we would be back in bizz..

thanks for the report..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
At the state park one could launch a fairly large trailered boat from the boat ramp. I could easily launch my 18' Starcraft. However, be aware that there isn't any water at Painted Rocks.
[signature]
Here is the stocking information, courtesy of CBR:

Rainbow Trout (10/30/2003)
Total: 17,545 average length 8.76 inches

Rainbow Trout (11/05/2003)
Total: 44,175 average length 4.37 inches

Rainbow Trout (11/06/2003)
Total: 14,725 average length 4.37 inches

Pike (11/14/2003)
Total: 800 average length 8.22 inches

Bluegill (11/24/2003)
Total: 50,034 average length 3.32 inches

Rainbow Trout (5/12/2004)
Total: 8,318 average length 4.71 inches

Rainbow Trout (5/12/2004)
Total: 61,585 average length 2.81 inches

There were some perch stocked also, I believe in 2003, that were caught in Jordanelle and transported to Yuba.
[signature]
oh sweet thanks for the heads up on the pike!! in 4 or 5 years there should be 5 to 7 lbs pike romeing around in there.. hope thay can keep the carp down so they dont get out of hand again..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
[sly] nice fish! looks like it was a good thanksgiving! so did you have the turkey as a side dish next to those nice fish? B4B...
[signature]
[black][size 2]In October 2003, somewhere between 900-2000 perchies relocated their homes to Yuba. In the spring of 2004, about 50,000 perchies were bought and dumped into Yuba.
Now thats about 52,000 perch
150,000 rainbows
50,000 bluegills
800 Pike

[signature]
Yes the water is very clear!I have dipped worms there and not one carp!Havent seen any signs of any either.
[signature]
Hey kent tell your friend thanks that is a really informative letter he sent you, it sounds like he is a ghost as well, but it is nice to know that there are some big plans in the work for the whould lake.
[signature]