Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What a day! + Berry 1/8 Report
Met up with rgreenland and some others in Heber on Sat. 1/8. We headed up the snowy canyon and roads to Mud Creek. Hit the parking lot a little after 7 a.m. One soul on a 4 wheeler was already heading out, we were going to warn him about the snow/slush, but a few minutes later he was buried.

We zoomed out on the ice on the sleds and fought the deep snow and slush. It wasn't too bad, but wasn't fun fighting the deep snow either. Got the sleds stuck a few times on the way back. Walking out would flat stink, the snow is deep and around 18 in-2ft.

We fished out where the bay opens up a bit in 25 ft of water. Fishing wasn't hot, but not bad either, we ended up landing 17 fish between 4 of us. All in the slot. The usual berry stuff (white, small, mealie/minnow) etc worked great. I caught most of mine on my old standby Cabela's white/red maribou jig and boogers.

Heading down the canyon we saw a bunch of elk. If you know Daniels canyon or the Wasatch Mtns. elk unit, you know they are usually bulls and big ones at that. Well, low and behold, 2 cows... right off the road. Guess what's in my pocket, a cow tag.

I zoomed off the mountain and rgreeland dropped me off at the in-laws. My father in law, bro in law (also had a cow tag) and I, headed back up the hill. To keep the story short, we ended up shooting the cow and calf. An hour later, we were home skinning elk. [cool]

What a day up in the high country. Fishing for big cutts in the morning and shooting elk in the afternoon. All in all, a rare day, but a fun one! [Tongue]

F4F
[signature]
Sounds like you had a very productive day! Can't beat that, catchin' fat cutts, and baggin' a couple elk. Strong work!
[signature]
F4F, Hey congrats on a great day!! You can't be at all disapointed with a day like that! I wish I had another elk tag to still fill, my august elk is about gone!! Thanks for the post, Jake
[signature]