Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it sharp?
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#005000][size 4]To sharpen my hooks I use a very fine file and touch the point off also with a very fine stone. I always check my hooks before using whether it be new or used. How about you?[/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]
Sharp hooks are a must, and i'm like you, I sharpen my hooks before any fishing trip; except the new ones. I use mostly Gamakatsu or Owner hooks, which are needle sharp right out of the box. Trust me, it doesn't get any sharper than those bad boys. But, when you're using a large hook for something like Wahoo or some other kind of offshore fish, the larger hooks in excess of 4 or 5 alt aren't that sharp out of the box, and need to be sharpend. There is a hook sharpener that is battery powered you might want to look into. They work really well, and save some time and frustration involved with sharpening specialized/akward shaped hooks like tuna hooks or kale hooks.
[signature]
Except for irons & trolling hooks I gave up sharpening a LOOONG time ago. Those pricey little black chemically sharpened designer hooks are the neatest thing since fiberglass & extruded nylon monofilament. I'm lazy...[cool]

For trollers & jigs I use a cheapo medium bastard file to make a nice triangular point that scratches the thumbnail. I just make sure to douse the file with WD-40 once in awhile. A little rust doesn't hurt.

I'm not real fussy about brands, but I like the Owner ringed Flyliners a lot, especially for smaller baits. I'm convinced ringed hooks make a difference. For larger baits I like the Gamakatsu & VMC cause they're made with a bit lighter wire than the Owner Gorillas. Still plenty strong for my uses, tho.

Fishslayer
[signature]
Hey there Fishslayer,

How do those "ringed" hooks work? I've never used them. I thought about it one time, but I never gave them a spin.
[signature]
I can't speak for the BIG tuna, but the long rangers use them a lot.

For smaller species I was made a believer a couple years ago. I am convinced they make a difference in a picky bite or when the bait is not particularly robust.

A lot of guys are ringing their own hooks. I might look into this. Generally the ringed hooks are the heavier models and I like to use lighter wire hooks than most for better bait performance.

Flyliners aren't my favorite style but they're the lightest I've seen with rings, and the lightest chemically sharpenned hooks I've seen besides the Octopus style. I'd love to be able to make up a few hundred 2/0 ringed VMC Livebaits... Big Grin

Fishslayer
[signature]