Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Striper rigs
I am new to the Las Vegas fishing scene. I have read numerous accounts of striper fishing using anchovy bait. I enjoy anchovies on my pizza, but what exactly is the "bait" form when referencing stripers? And how is this bait typically rigged and fished from shore in this region?
[crazy]
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Welcome to the Nevada Board Andrare,
The anchovies we talk about are found in the freezer case at most bait shops to include most Wal-Marts. They are labeled "Bait Only" and different than the ones you put on pizza, although I've never tried pizza anchovies. They work best if you can keep them frozen, they will stay on the hook better. Once they thaw you have to be very gentle with your casts. There really isn't a typical rig, from what I've seen and used.

Have you done much fishing before. This could help with explaining how to rig better.

Once again, Welcome.

Take care,
David
[signature]
I was a long time fisherman on the woodland lakes of the East. Sold the bass boat and moved to Vegas many years ago. Recently retired, I long to return to my favorite pastime. Admittedly, the vast, barren Lake Mead seems intimidating. I want to start with some relaxing shore fishing before considering any boat investments. A tug on the line and some fresh air sounds like a good day. I got a map with most of the access points. Just need to scout it out and find a few favorite spots.

Andare Pescare*

*translation: Let's Go Fishin'
[cool]
[signature]
Hey there Andare....

A good place to get some shore access is Saddle Cove. You can get down there via Lake Mead in Henderson. Go past the ranger station until you see signs for the fish hatchery, and turn down the dirt road on the left right past the hatchery.

As for a rig, I'd go with a slip float rig. Bass Pro Shops here in town carries all the Mick Thill floats. You can fish from a few feet down to the bottom if needed with a rig like this.

If you want to fish the bottom, I'd go with an inline running rig or better yet a safety bolt rig. I switched to the safety bolt rigs this year. You can read about them here.If the line breaks, the fish doesn't drag around a lead, or doesn't get wedged to the bottom by accident.
http://www.coarsefish.com/saferigs.htm

As for hooks, I'd go with Gomakatsu bait holders. All the Wal Marts here seem to have them.
[signature]
Thanks David and Jeff for all the great advice. It'll probably be a few weeks before I get a chance to put some of it into practice (prior commitments), but I'll keep all informed of the successes and failures along the way. In the meantime, I'll be lurking around the Board, learning and contributing whenever possible.

Good luck to all...
Dan
[cool]
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Forgot to get around to rods. Since you already fish, you probably have a 6-1/2' to 7' medium rod, I've used them for years without a problem. Recently, I moved up to a 9' medium Uglystik (should have got a M/H or a H). One of our members uses an 11' rod. The length of the rod is pretty much what ever you're comfortable with using. But, I would recommend at least Medium and if you start hurling large plugs I'd move up to a M/H or H.

Take care,
David
[signature]