Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Walleyes
[cool][#0000ff]We have all heard how the encroaching hordes of perch, and the stunted smallmouth, are making it tough for the walleyes in Starvation to make a living. I was advised by a fisheries biologist that they used to find "numerous" walleyes up to 15 pounds in their gill nets, but that anything over 5 pounds was unusual these days.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was an article in the "Hook Shot" corner of the Outdoor section of this morning's Tribune that might suggest that there are still some bigguns in Starvation...besides the big browns.[/#0000ff]
[Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: 20050330__fea_hookshot_0331~1_200.jpg] [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif] Photo courtesy of Todd Butcher [Image: clear.gif] [Image: clear.gif]Todd Butcher caught this dandy walleye last summer at Starvation Reservoir. The 14 3/4 -pound and 37 3/4 -inch fish was caught on 4-pound test with a yellow grub. Butcher reports that the "fish was very good eating."
[signature]
Was that a slip of the finger when you typed Strawberry instead of Starvation or do you know something the rest of us don't know?
[signature]
Slip of the Tongue aye?

Even if those eyes are mostly small, I think I am going to have to plan a weekend trip up to Starvation. Wink
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just checkin' to see if anybody actually reads that stuff I post up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No need to start another session on "bucket biologists"[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You keep me straight, Bro.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ha ha WH2 that's wishful thinking Tubedude actually meant Strawberry Walleyes.... Ummmmmmmm, one can only dream of one more fine place to catch them monstas!
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the excellent info, TubeDude. That is one lake that I definitely want to try out this year! Never been there, but it's getting about time to change that.
[signature]
i was just thinking of posting up about starvation to find out if the ice has left the lake , i figured it probably has but wasnt shure with the wierd weather lately , has anyone heard if its open yet?
[signature]
I saw the article & pic in the Outdoors section - please just keep the 14" to 20" eyes - they are the best eating - let the big ones go. This was a big female that needed to be released to eat all those small perch. Nuff said.... just take a picture...

If you have fished Starvation the majority of the eyes are in the 10" range and over population has caused the chubs to be endangered. I think the perch will save the eyes from starving but they will go through cycles of boom & bust.

Boy I wish I had me in a picture with 37 inch eye - I thougth I would have to drive to the Columbia River for that big of fish....

Just a FYI - within the next few weeks the biggest spawn of eyes happens below the John Day Dam in Oregon and with the drought up there the run-off should allow some of the best fishing in Years

Fish like this one pictured here are common up there....
[signature]
OPEN WATER!!! I got the report from a first hand witness who had driven out to strawberry last weekend from roosevelt.
[signature]
That sure is one big hog, what would make a person eat a walleye that big ?? that would have just about put the catch and releese record out of reach. I just don't understand. later chuck
[signature]
[Smile]i'm with you chuck i would have had that walleye on my wall in a heart beat if i had caught that one. trfishin
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I hope you are referring to a replica mount, after taking several good pictures and then releasing the fish. With the technology we have these days, there is no reason to keep a big spawning female like that. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sure, they taste better than trout, but a few smaller ones would taste better than that one big female. It would make you feel better too...knowing that you contributed back to the gene pool for larger fish.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
THE TECH IS BETTER THAN THE OLD DAYS WITH GLASS. BUT THIS IS ANOTHER TIME WE GET TO DISAGREE. THE DEAIL IN THE HEAD OF A GLASS EYE DONT DO EYES THE JUSTICE THEY DESERVE. I HAVE BOTH KINDS ON MY WALLS AT HOME. WHEN YOU STAND IN FRONT OF THEM IT IS A BIG DIFFERANCE... ASK CHUCK HE HAS SEEN MY MOUNTS. AND WHEN HE CAUGHT THAT BIG HEN AT DC THE ONE NEXT TO HIS POST. HE HAD ME SKIN MOUNT IT.. I THINK ALL WALLEYE GUYS DESERVE TO HAVE A SKIN BUT AFTER THEY HAVE KILLED A BIG HEN THEY SHOULD GO GLASS FOR THE REST OF THEIR WALLEYE MOUNTS.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No argument about the quality of the resin mounts vs skin mounts. I have both a walleye and a northern pike resin mount and it has been a disappointment not having the real teeth to show off their munching ability. After all, that is a big part of the personality of those predatory species.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
AGREED!!! THAT IS THEIR FOCAL POINT. ALSO THE GILL AREA DOES NOT FLARE WITH DETAIL ITS IS ALWAYS CLOSED ON GLASS.
[signature]
What's wrong with keeping the big fish if the lake is over populated anyway.
[signature]
IF YOU DONT GET IT YOU DONT GET IT...
[signature]
I'll take a stab at this one...

Not all walleye will get huge like that, even with many years of growing. That fish, if left in the lake, would likely spawn many times and pass on the genetic ability to grow exceptionally large. It's offspring then could have passed this ability on, and on, and on. You get the picture...

It's kinda like selectively breeding dogs or horses for the optimal qualities. You don't just throw a bunch of nags and studs together and expect to get a prize specimen for the offspring. It takes the right genetic code.

That fish had it....

Granted, starvation (appropriatly named) is a tough lake to try and get BIG in if your a walleye. Lots of competition for a limited food source and such.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]D-Mack pretty much stated the case. The best fishing is in waters where there is a balance of predators and prey. Starvation is all out of whack right now. Once walleyes get to be the size of the one in the picture, they can dine on just about everything else in the lake. However, there is a lot of competition by the smaller fish, of several species, for just enough groceries to make it to a size large enough to become a top predator.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My point was that once a water is suffering an overpopulation of stunted fish, it is rare that the condition will right itself naturally. It will take a major dieoff, of the stunted strains of fish, and a repopulation by fish with genetics that provide for bigger fish. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Throughout the country, there are countless case histories of waters that got out of balance and all of the fish stunted. In almost every instance, even when some were cleaned out and more food available, the stunting tendencies were still passed on to the next generation of fry. In such cases, fisheries managers have found that it is better to poison out a lake and completely restock it with "normal" fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I don't think anybody has the definitive answer for Starvation. It is not a fertile lake, full of structure and weedbeds, with heavy populations of aquatic insect life, leeches and multiple species of baitfish. It was a chub condominium for many years, and the browns grew big and fat in there. Since the introduction of smallies, wallies and perchies, the chubs don't have a chance to reproduce and survive. The 20 year old chubby chubs still surviving manage to drop some eggs each year, but the chublets are lucky to survive past the yolk sac stage before being vacuumed up by the hordes of hungry young of the other species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are fewer and fewer of the big walleyes that once got the blood boiling for Salt Lake walleye chasers. Again, once they manage to get over about 24 inches, they can be assured of plenty of food, from the growing perch population. Still, if the big ones are all harvested, that will leave only the progressive generations of walleyes that are spawning when less than 12 inches long. The runts produce more runts and the big spawners that are left will die of old age and the damage will be irreversible. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The state record C & R walleye came from Starvation. It was only 31 1/2 inches (I think). That was several years ago. The big fish in the picture (as has been suggested) would have blown away the old record big time, and it might not be broken again for a long time.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
What's wrong with keeping the big fish if the lake is over populated anyway. [/reply]
I'm sure he was making an April Fools Day joke.
[signature]