Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead fri-13th
I am heading down to Vegas this weekend and going out to Lake Mead on friday.Juat want to know how the action is for stripers and large or smallmouth bass.Its my first time fishing there and need all the info I can get thanks!
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Welcome to Southern Nevada. That's a huge question. We'll need a little more information from you. Are you going to fish from shore or a boat? Having a boat would open up a lot more options. But shore fishing can be productive too. If you're on shore there are a few places that have water access. What type of bait do you want to use? Live bait, dead bait, lures? An all around bait would be frozen anchovies, you can get Striper and Catfish on anchovies. I haven't had much luck getting LMB or SMB from shore. Are you planning on hitting the Virgin Basin or the Boulder Basin? I do must of my fishing in the Boulder Basin. I know these are more questions than answers but the more information we can get the better we can answer.

Take care,
David
[signature]
We will be on a boat.I will fish any way and with any bait to catch fish down there..lol.I am not familar with the lake at all so anywhere on the pond that the fish are holding thats where I will go!.Thanks for your help!
[signature]
For stripers probably you want to go early, launch from Mead Marina and go to Las Vegas Wash. Go all the way to the back of the wash, you should be able to net some shad in the morning before the sun rises. then pull out to first or second channel marker and fish around the ends of points and the channel edges. You will see them on the sonar. Shad have been holding at approximayely 25 ft. Maybe the start of a thermocline. Maybe you will get lucky and there will be a surface bite early - no promises there.

For bass, I would concentrate on either steep rock shore (walls) and cover a lot of territory in 15 to 25 ft throwing a tube bait or a T-rigged senko with a 1/8 oz. bullet weight pegged to the head. Alternately you can throw swimbaits - Storms are good - and LA sliders for larger fish.

If you opt to fish around the Wash, Saddle and 33 hole area then you will have to go weed fishing. Again a mix of chunk rock, secondary points and weeds all seem to necessary to connect with a lergemouth. Bluegill colors and brown colors have been best for me, but that can change real fast. Also shallow crankbait ticking over the tops of the weeds with stop and go retrieve. Might try a walk the dog lure early and late. There might be a white spinnerbait bite early.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms] That's exactly where I was going to recommend, Las Vegas Wash. Due to the lower water level the closet boat launch would be Lake Mead Marina. Also, watch the weather conditions, it can turn south pretty fast. Depending how big your boat is if the wind starts up it could get a little hairy for a smaller boat.

Take care,
David
[signature]