Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using fins
My in-laws gave me a fish cat 4 and some fins. I went out yesterday on maider voyage and boy was I in for a surprise. I could go backwards with no problem but when it came to turning or going forwards propulsion went downhill in a hurry. Could any of you PLEASE be of assitance to me? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. mathcarver
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I gave a response on the other thread. I hope it was helpful.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I recall, you said your fins were something to do with 'Creek". Could they be Creek Company fins? here is a pic.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9587;]

[#0000ff]I have never used them, but Creek Company is a reputable manufacturer and the fins look to be well designed for float tube use. The big consideration is that the foot pockets are large enough to allow your "dressed up" foot enough room without constriction when you tube in colder water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes, those are exactly like the ones I have. THanks for all your information and help. I tell you I enjoyed the experience so much yesterday I can hardly wait to get out on a pond and do it again. Will these things work well in a slow moving river or not? Thanks again. mathcarver
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I usually do not advise newbies to hit moving water until they have both gotten used to their system and developed good leg strength. However, when you are in shape, and comfortable with your craft, it is surprising what kinds of water you can handle. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have actually made float trips down some pretty large rivers, with good current. I use my fins to maneuver me into shore, for shore casting, or into eddies and backwaters where I can maintain position without having to do so much kicking.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have large bladed fins and good leg power, you can even move upcurrent in slow moving streams. However, when the current is so strong that you have trouble holding position, you are out of your element and you need to get to shore or else have someone downstream to pick you up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]NEVER take your tube into moving water with shallows or rocks. And, if you are on a stream, watch ahead for "sweepers"...branches hanging out over the bank. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As Dirty Harry says "A man should know his limitations". That is especially true if that man is trying to learn how to power a float tube around.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you like the FC4. You will like it a whole lot better once things become automatic and you can focus on fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]