Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier Local Trip 5/26
Hey there guys,

Went out on the 3/4 day Premier again today.. this time for those sneaky barracuda. Danny ran the boat with Jimmy lending a hand and Mikie decking. Took off with 25+ anglers. Picked up some very nice, cured sardines. It was a little foggy but didn't cause problems and slowly burned off during the day.

Did a little SWRF fishing initially as the cuda were not up very early this morning. Picked up some huge salmon grouper and lings as well as the usual denizens of the deep.

Getting the word on the barracuda starting to stir, we burned rubber for the area. On the way, we got a short talk by the skipper who went over the general safety rules regarding fishing with jigs and landing cuda. And ...as per the announcement ....all three of the crew were on deck with gaffs to make things smooth for novice and veteran alkie!

Great to have other boats willing to call you in on a bite. We pretty much followed the birds on different schools and took a number of fish at a stop only to have the bite disappear and would again take off to head 'em off at the pass.

Jigs were the ticket for these barracuda. Color didn't seem to matter I used a 544 dark olive, black and yellow. They didn't seem to be line shy as most anaglers were using 25 or 30 pound test. The grade of fish was fantastic as I didn't see a single fish under 5 pounds and many were 7 and 8 pounders! I did have some bites on the sardines. Very, very few shorts!

Somebody flipped the switch and the cuda bite died, birds gone but..... not before lots of anglers had limits of barracuda and the rock fish as a bonus. Kind of wierd but there were lots of dogs around but they didn't seem interested in chomping on our hard-earned hooked-up barracuda !!

Returned to the slip around 5:30.

Good boat, great crew, productive fishing ......and everybody just got along even with the fast and furious jig slingin'!

JapanRon
[signature]