Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Rod Rack Design
[cool][#0000ff]Hey gang, we have a new registered member, [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=ATFISHING;"][#333366][size 1]ATFISHING[/size][/#333366][/url]. He has found our forum, and registered, but is still not comfortable in posting yet. He did send me some pics of his new rod and sonar holder system, that he designed after looking over some of the designs we have posted from other members.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It looks like our new member knows his way around the work bench. Nice work, Bro. I like the backward angle on the rear rod holders. Gives your craft a racy look too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come on back and give us a report of how it works on the water. Also, let us know what kind of tube you got and what you like and don't like about it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Welcome to the BFT Float Tubing forum and thanks for sharing the pics.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey there ATFISHING,

Welcome ! Don't be shy ! Great looking ride ! Wish I could see more details of your design and creation. Stop by sometime and chat about it.

BTW - From which part of the world do you hail ? I'm in Utah.
[signature]
HEY GENTLEMEN THANKS FOR THE WELCOME HOPE I'M REPLYING AND/OR POSTING CORRECTLY. THE TUBE IS A CLASSIC TOGIAK CAMOUFLAGE, JUST LIKE THE TOGIAK YELLOW AND BLACK OR TEAL.
I PICKED IT UP ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO. BEEN FISHING FRESH AND SALT FOR ABOUT 20 YRS AND HAD NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT TUBING UNTIL RECENT......WISH I HAD DONE IT SOONER, I ENJOY IT MORE THAN MY BOAT. THIS PARTICULAR TUBE IS NICE BUT I WISH IT HAD MORE STORAGE AND/OR BIGGER POCKETS. I'M A FAIRLY BIG GUY (6 FT 250 LBS) AND THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM. AS FOR THE HOLDER IT WORKS GREAT I MAY CHANGE THINGS AROUND AS IDEAS COME UP BUT FOR NOW IT'S GOOD. I'M HITTING THE WATER ON FRIDAY FOR THE HALIBUT AT CHEERY BEACH HERE IN LONG BEACH SO. CAL, SO I'LL TAKE PICS OF IT IN THE WATER AND POST THEM I ALSO BUILT A ROD HOLDER FOR MY SUV (EXPEDITION) WHICH I'M ATTACHING THE PICS HOPE THEY COME IN HANDY TO SOME OF YOU. TALK TO YOU ALL SOON.
AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey AT, congrats on your first post and your successful attachment of pics. I love the rod rack idea. Good creativity and nice work.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kinda suspected you were a salt water guy when I saw the tackle in the rod tubes. I'll bet you have also been spending some time on Kiyo's website, Baytubers. I used to live in Southern Cal and I did my share of halibut chasing too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Nice lookin' Togiak. I had a Kennebec for a couple of years and I had some of the same observations as you do for the Togiak. I am 6'3" and over 250# also, and I found plenty of room and flotation, but I did not like the pocket arrangement. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Trout Unlimited makes their craft for trouters, with their wimpy little fly boxes and knickknacks. There just is not room for a serious fisherman to take large lure boxes in those pockets. I ended up cutting out some of the pocket partitions on my Kennebec to allow me to carry larger items.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Welcome again to BFT. We look forward to your reports. Got any pics of some big flatties you would care to share? Might make me wanna get back over to the salt. Of course we have plenty of salt water in Utah, but there ain't no halibut in the Great Salt Lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
what size PVC did you end up using? for the rod holder on your tube?
[signature]
I could be wrong, but, it looks like standard black plumbing ABS pipe.
[signature]
From one newbie to another, welcome to the boards. All I can say is those rod racks look sweet. Great ideas and nice craftsmanship.
[signature]
TUBE DUDE I'D FISH FOR GUPPIES IF THEY PULLED HARD ENOUGH (LOL). I'VE BEEN FISHING FRESH WATER SINCE I GOT THE TUBE. A FRIEND TOOK ME OUT TO CHERRY BEACH FOR THE 1ST TIME LAST FRIDAY (1ST TIME TUBING THE SALT) GOT 4 HALIBUT AND 3 SANDBASS LARGERST WAS 20" NO KEEPERS [Sad] HOPE TO CHANGE THAT THIS WEEK. THE FISH I'VE CAUGHT ON THE TUBE SO FAR ARE:
LARGEMOUTH BASS
HALIBUT (SEE ATTACHMENT OF 1ST ONE)
SAND BASS
BLUE GILL

I LIKE THE IDEA OF CUTTING OUT THE POCKET PARTITIONS THANKS FOR THE TIP.

HAYWYRE AND FISHHOUND I USED 1" WHITE PVC AND THE ELBOWS AND TEE'S THAT GO WITH IT AND THEN PAINTED IT WITH KRYLON SPAY PAINT FOR PASTIC. I'LL POST A LIST OF ALL THE PARTS YOU'LL NEED, GIVE ME A FEW DAYS.

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Nice flattie. Watch those teeth around inflated craft. Here's a pic from Kiyo's board that shows a cleaned up set of halibut chompers.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9907;]
[signature]
YEAH MY PARTNER GOT A HOLE RIPED INTO HIS WADERS A FEW WEEKS BACK, SO I ACTUALLY PICKED UP A LIP GRIPPER FROM BERKLEY BECAUSE ALL THOSE SALTIES FROM SANDBASS TO TUNA HAVE TEETH. TALK TO YOU LATER

AT
[signature]
AT Welcome to the board, nice mods on tube and SUV, very well thought out nice job! Now that you have tricked out your tube you need to get a pontoon, you can add more fun things to them.
Hears a link to some mods for toons.

http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/gallery/rigging?page=1
[signature]
Welcome aboard ATFISHING. You have a kewl and new design for the rod rack. Everyone has something to contribute and yours is more than welcome here.

I am also in the SoCal area. I fish quite a bit out of Long Beach, Catalina Islands, Channel Islands and Ventura Harbor.

Perhaps we can get together sometime and bend a rod, float our boats and stretch a string. Have you tried Cabrillo Beach yet??

There are some good butts there too.[cool]

PS. Don't forget to come over and introduce yourself on the Cali board also. We have a few more tubers and yakers there too.[Smile]
[signature]
TubeN2 THANKS FOR THE WELCOME, I ALSO DO IT ALL FRESH AND SALT, I'M ALSO CHARTER MASTER ON A ANNUAL ALBACORE TRIP WE'VE DONE EVERY AUGUST LAST 5 YEARS (MAY HAVE ONE SPOT PM ME IF YOUR INTERESTED)
I HAVE NOT FISHED CABRILLO YET AND YES I WOULD DEFINETLY BE INTERESTED IN GETTING TOGETHER AND TRYING SOME NEW LOCATIONS, I CAN TAKE TIME OFF DURING THE WEEK WITH ENOUGH NOTICE (4 DAYS TO A WEEK) SO LET ME KNOW.

AT
[signature]
HENERYSFORK

SALTWATER GEAR, FRESHWATER GEAR, BASS BOAT, FLOAT TUBE AND NOW A PONTOON? MY WIFE WILL GIVE ME DEVORCE PAPERS BY THE END OF THE DAY (LOL). HOWEVER THANKS FOR THE TIP.

AT
[signature]
[crazy] Ok So I started on my replica of your rod rack. I got the 1 inch PVC and it appears to be about a .25 of an inch smaller in diameter than it needs to be. Must be the Everything is bigger in Texas thing Smile. I am lucky I didnt glue everything together before I tried to put my poles down the shoots. Did you possibly use 2 inch of 1.5? Also the T's that go into the 45's. Did you have to cut pipe to get them to fit together?
[signature]
haywyre,

Go to the float tube picture tread and look up my float tube system(I took a similar but simpler approach). I will also try today to put up some more photos with greater detail(hopefully I can get the photo software to work). I used a variety of PVC and ABS pipe - all of which is 1.25, 1.5 and 2.0 inch - the 1 inch pipe would not work for me with most of my rods and fishing tools(it is too small of diameter).
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, haywyre, didn't nobody never teach ya that ya "measure twice and cut once"? Ya gotta check to make sure the tubes fit the rods before building a system (been there, done that).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I build my own rods and use mostly lighter tackle. All of my rod handles will fit inside SCHEDULE 20 1" PVC, but not SCHEDULE 40, with thicker walls. I have to go to 1 1/4" Sched 40 for the same rods.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Casting sticks and heavier spinning rods are often built with thicker handles, so you need to be sure to try them in a tube before putting the system together. The good news is that there are usually elbows, tees and connectors that will allow you to change up or down to another size. On some of my PVC creations I integrate different sizes to save weight or add larger or smaller tubes, as needed. A good plumbing supply or building supply outlet will usually have just about every kind of connector and fitting you can imagine. If you don't see what you want, ask for it. They often have it even if it is jumbled up with everything else.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My point is that if you have one rod that is too large for the same size tubes you will be using for the other rods, you may wish to include only one tube of the larger size, for that rod, rather than making the whole rod rack with the larger tubes. Sure, that will work, but it adds weight and the rods don't fit as securely. More rattling and more potential for slipping out and diving over the side.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
THANKS FOR REPONDING TO THE OTHER POST. YOUR RIGHT ON EVERYTHING...........#20 1" PVC IS WHAT YOU NEED TO USE AND YOU ALWAYS DRY TEST IT TO MAKE SURE EVERYTHING FITS. I INFLATED THE TUBE, EVEN SAT IN IT TO MAKE SURE I COULD REACH ALL RODS WITH COMFORT AND TRIED ALL THE RODS I THOUGHT I WOULD BE USING...........THE THICKER PISTOL GRIP HANDLES WILL NOT FIT IN THE #20 PVC BUT YOU CAN GET A TEE THAT ALLOWS YOU TO CHANGE UP TO ACCOMODATE THE LARGER PIPE.

AT
[signature]
Nice work ATFISHING! I like the stealthy "commando" look.
[signature]
TUBE IN WATER WITH ROD HOLDER.

AT
[signature]